Can the use of a LIVE distro damage HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
Hi

I don't know what happened to my PC all of a sudden. One day the HDD was fine and suddenly the next day, it showed that the HDD has detected an immitant failure. And sadly, the day before this message appeared, I was trying to write on an ntfs partition using live DVD of Knoppix. And I did it. And now the HDD has some problem.

It has been only 3 months since I bought the PC. My old one is 6 years old and I don't have a single bad cluster on that PCs HDD.

Is writing on HDD using knoppix has anything to do with this? I have tried all kinds of tests and nothing was found. When I put it up for a self test through BIOS, then there was an error again. There is no virus/sypware kind of thing. I have tested it. Only the BIOS test detects the error. The PC has gone all slow. What may be the problem?

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
I think your HDD might be SATA. I also heard that Linux will not work with SATA. You may post this query in the open source section also.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Aditya, Linux works with SATA perfectly well. Maybe your HD has developed some
bad sectors. If your HD is under warranty , you can give it to the HD Service center.
They will replace it with good one.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
No way that writing with Knoppix has anything to do with bad sectors. BTW, does Knoppix write to ntfs? I never tried writing to ntfs from knoppix but I have tried from another and haven't had any problems.
This is just some bad co-incidence. It's not possible to damage a hard disk by just writing on it.
Linux does work perfectly well with SATA. The problem is with older versions of linux. It's like saying my latest cutting edge hardware doesn't work on windows 2000. How can it work with an old OS, unless that company specifically provides drivers for that OS.
BTW, it is totally possible to run a old distro on SATA just by compiling a new kernel.

Last edited:

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Mehul, Yes, Knoppix DVD (latest version) supports NTFS read/write.
I don't think Knoppix screwed up the HD with bad sectors. There may be other
reasons also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom