can the computer be kept on for more than 3-4 days continuosly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

raja2281

Journeyman
hi

i had kept the computer on for 3-4 days continously for downloading purposes. now i am having this strange problem where the pc freezes after 5 min of booting at startup.i exactly dont know y its happening.

cud it be becoz of damage to components due to overheating due to prolonged use?

plz reply.

confused

Evolving Rapidly...
yeah why not? just keep it at stable temps....... but the OS will need a restart from time to time....

ionicsachin

Ambassador of Buzz
Yeah, a PC can be kept "on" for as long as u want....
The problem might be caused due:-
1) CPU Fan running at low speed or not running at all
2) Some sort of virus or spyware

ancientrites

In the zone
theres a possibilty of virus or spyware.If the problem is same then opt for the option repair and clean cpu fan,cabby fans.. etc

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
downloading wont heat up ur system as CPu will idle at 1~2% nd no other component is taxed even to 5%.
But u cant keep a system on 24/7 gaming w/o proper cooling.
I myself du shutdown my system. It been more than a year that my system stayed turnoff for more than 30 min.
i just performs some restart only in case of driver updates nd when some new apps ask to.
Also enable ny power management feature which ur system supports like cool nd quiet nd quiet fan for AMD or equavalent for Intel.

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
My office desktop (running XP) is powered on all the time .. Last time I rebooted it was when I installed SP3 on it ..

shobankr

Broken In
I dont know about assembled PCs but re the brnaded one I use in my office... I restart once in 2 weeks and I dont see any performance issues. But could be beacuse it is inside and AC room etc.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
The OS freeze/reboot should be due to sypware/virus. Current gen systems have very good in-built power management, making them stable even while running non-stop for days or weeks.

juggler

In the zone
I kept my pc on for nearly 3 months so keeping it on for long time is no problem. check for other problems

vardesh

Right off the assembly line
no problem in keeping the pc on for long durations .
for freezing problem do RAM modules or just chk ur os.

acewin

Point Blanc
my system has not been shutdown for the past 3 months......ya dude it's safe

LOL we can all set records in keeping our system up, just you need to monitor if its getting heaten up. If it has got alot heated:mad: and you do not have any cooling options(which generally everyone prefers to have if there system gets heated quick and they need it on).

Besides these I do not think you will keep a Pentium D proccy or Quad core procy and alot of old AMD proccyies included in this range which gets heated ultra quick.

That is why P4 and core 2 Duos are preffered proccys, you can make the kill with them and still they wont shout always.:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom