Can I use a local PSU with my config without the GPU?

ghouse12311

Ambassador of Buzz
my psu got burnt because of voltage fluctuations and it is getting replaced under warranty but they keep delaying and i am not getting the new PSU until Thursday....so can i use local Rs.500 PSU till then by removing the GPU?

my config is in my siggy...also i dont have a UPS as of now...will buy it on Thursday...

@mods please don't move this thread because i want to buy the local PSU today itself...its very urgent..

Last edited:
OP
G

ghouse12311

Ambassador of Buzz
Avoid these craps. Atleast get a Corsair vs450 or cx430v2. You will not like your pc going boom just because a crappy psu's ic blowed due to a voltage spike.

my corsair cx430v2 got burnt i don't know when they will replace it so till then i want to use my PC without the GPU with a local PSU....

Sainatarajan

Wise Old Owl
Spending 600 to 700 bucks on a new local PSU is not advisable. IF anything happens.... BOOM.... I think you can wait for 3 days.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
you can check if anyone has a spare PSU :) may be some members here can lend you one

OP
G

ghouse12311

Ambassador of Buzz
previously i have used a phenom 9850(125w TDP) and 9500gt on a mercury 450watts psu for three years....the psu failed after one year each time so just replaced with a new one...also the psu just stopped working and there was not smoke or any burning of the psu...it worked great...so why cant i use a local PSU with my config without the GPU?

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
You can take that risk, but I may have a better solution.

Buy a better PSU, and when your RMA'ed PSU return, sell it in bazaar. or as before find some friends who might have a spare PSU (preferably in Hyderabad)

wow thanks man....but i just want to know whether i can use a local PSU or not...if yes i will just go and buy it immediately
You can use a local PSU if you intend to use it just till the corsair's return. Try if you can get a second hand Corsair PSU, else, you may happily use a Zebronics PSU.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
You can use the local PSU as long as you dont use your GTX 660 which requires 24A on the 12V rails. You are better off with the i3's GPU (HD2500) while using the local PSU. But do get the UPS first.

For a good and cheap UPS get the Mercury Elite 650 Pro (650VA=390 Watts) for Rs 1325 or a APC Black 600 (600VA = 360watts) for Rs 2050.

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
my psu got burnt because of voltage fluctuations and it is getting replaced under warranty but they keep delaying and i am not getting the new PSU until Thursday....so can i use local Rs.500 PSU till then by removing the GPU?

my config is in my siggy...also i dont have a UPS as of now...will buy it on Thursday...

@mods please don't move this thread because i want to buy the local PSU today itself...its very urgent..
Please DONOT use those crapy local PSUs. But if you must, remove the graphics card & use the onboard graphics until your psu is replaced.

sumalatha

Banned

Can't you not wait for 3-4days for your PSU to get replaced because without UPS your PC is a Sitting Duck in India. I suggest you wait not buy any crappy PSU. OK.

Top Bottom