Can I still use this Pendrive?

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I tried to play this video in my system, but mine couldn't handle it.

Since I am gonna buy an i3 in the near future and also my cousin has an i3 laptop, I thought why not give it a try in his laptop and see i3's capability.

We played the video, in less than a minute laptop shutdown on its own. He said, not enough battery. Would a computer shutdown like this without a warning or something? :unsure: Whatever, didn't think much about this and started using it again after plugging it in the wall socket.

But now PC couldn't access the pendrive. It either says "please insert a disk" or "file or directory is corrupted or unreadable".

I thought I could fix it, but it's been 3 hours and finally said hell with it and formatted the pendrive. Problem is not the data, I have back up.
I ran chdkdsk, results returned were something like "found.... nonvalid link" and this list went on and on for more than 1000 files
Pretty much all the suggestions are for recovery, so all the tools I downloaded/tried scanned and shown the files and folders. It seemed intact, but I don't know why I couldn't able to access the drive.
I thought something like partition recovery would put the things back to normal, but it didn't do any thing. Since I was feeling sleepy and I couldn't wait for hours for this to scan and also I have back up, I formatted

- What went wrong? I could see the files and folders when trying to fix the issue, though some of the files names were screwed up. Probably files too only if I had recovered/fixed I would have known about the status/health of the files and folders.
- Is the pendrive dying? That sudden shutdown made the pendrive unstable? Pendrive is just about two years old. TRANSCEND JET FLASH 16GB USB 3.0
- Can I use this pendrive? or Should I worry about it and claim warranty?

After 3hrs of banging my head with this, I doubt the reason for the shutdown.
Did this video put too much stress on the i3 (CPU/GPU) and for safety, laptop shutdown on its own? An i3 can't handle a 3D video? :(

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
From diskpart (via cmd), run following commands.

Code:
list disk
select disk # (number from list populated after above running above command)
clear
create partition primary
format fs=ntfs quick
assign
exit

See if it works.

If it doesn't, try this - JetFlash Online Recovery - Support & Download

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
From diskpart (via cmd), run following commands.

Code:
list disk
select disk # (number from list populated after above running above command)
clear
create partition primary
format fs=ntfs quick
assign
exit

See if it works.

If it doesn't, try this - JetFlash Online Recovery - Support & Download
Thank you.

I formatted the drive and that solved the problem. I am sorry if I wasn't clear in my OP. I thought people would understand/assumed that the problem is solved with formatting. My bad :(
I keep this solution in mind. Hoping I don't come to cross this bridge again, if it happens I will sure check this out. Thank you. :)

What I was hoping to achieve before formatting was, fix what's corrupted (my guess was partition) and make the computer read the files and folders. But I couldn't do it, I guess because of insufficient knowledge and no patience.

- My concern is about the health of the drive. Whether I should buy a new one (or claim warranty) to replace or I am good to keep this drive?
- I would like to know the reason what caused the drive to act this way. So that I can avoid it in future.

And last I wondering how an i3 couldn't handle it (though I am not sure about it, just my guess).

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
My concern is about the health of the drive. Whether I should buy a new one (or claim warranty) to replace or I am good to keep this drive?
- I would like to know the reason what caused the drive to act this way. So that I can avoid it in future.

And last I wondering how an i3 couldn't handle it (though I am not sure about it, just my guess).
http

Good to keep if problem doesn't resurfaces in near future.

Can't say.

i3 should have been able to handle IMO. If it was a 4k, I'd have thought about it.

Top Bottom