Can I install XGL themes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
I'm running Open SuSE 10.2(32-bit) I finally managed to get XGL running. But, I don't know if I'm running only XGL or Compiz also. Actually, I'm very much confused between XGL, Compiz and Beryl. I did get some information on Wiki, but I didn't get any information as to what is installed on SuSE 10.2. Is it according to the hardware?? I want to know if I can install XGL themes. I do see a lot of Compiz and Beryl themes floating on the net. I did see a tutorial for SuSE 10.1, but that didn't work out for mine. Seems it doesn't exist in the repo. How do I go about installing any theme, if there are any?

praka123

left this forum longback
XGL is a X server?what themes re?
AIGLX is a part of X.org which offers X composite extensions.
while XGL is a in-house development by Novell Suse
Compiz is a compositing Window Manager as like Metacity
Beryl is a fork of Compiz-quinnstorm branch which offers lot of bells and whistles.
you can theme compiz or beryl accordingly

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

Ok, how do I install Compiz themes?? I think Beryl is not installed. In the Desktop Effects, there are not options of applying any themes.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
There must be a compiz icon, right click on it and see.
EDIT - see this *forum.go-compiz.org/viewtopic.php?t=481

Last edited:
OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

Nope, no icons of Compiz :( That link didn't really help me much either, as I'm still a noob. Trying Compiz from the Run command didn't help me either. Smart doesn't seem to find the latest Compiz from its repo as well :( Tried to run Metacity from the Run command, but nothing happened. No error, no windows, no nothing. Now, how do I go about installing themes???

freebird

Debian Rocks!
It seems compiz project is in a go-slow :(
afaik compiz themes can be installed in GNOME by just dragging them into the launched gnome-theme-manager.
you should refer:
*vistalinux.googlepages.com/

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

No. Dragging and dropping of neither the .emerald or .cgwdtheme doesn't work :( The link which you suggested has a theme, but all are in *.png format and I don't know where to drop them :(

mehulved

.emerald themes are for beryl. And if I am not wrong .cgwd went away with compiz-quinnstorm, when it became beryl. So, with compiz you can just use metacity/gtk/ kde styles.

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

Seems like my system doesn't support Beryl :( Ok, how do I go about installing these themes atleast??

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

I don't know if it is really available. Seems it hasn't installed on my system atleast. I've seen quite a number of posts where people are showing off their Beryl on Open SuSE 10.2. I'll try installing Beryl, in the meanwhile, how do I go about with Metacity and stuff?

mehulved

Mostly, it's just download the theme, open System => Preferences => Themes(in GNOME) or themes in KDE Control Centre. Then select add new theme and select whatever theme you have.
Sometimes you need to do some additional work, it's given in the place where you download theme from.

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
phreak0utt said:
Seems like my system doesn't support Beryl :( Ok, how do I go about installing these themes atleast??
Have you downloaded the correct video drivers first?

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

Yes!! I am able to use Compiz only after installing it after I went through a tutorial written by JGuru here You think Beryl will work fine on my system? If not, how do I continue by installing the themes for Compiz? Please check out my signature to know my system support.

EDIT: I found something interesting here According to the instructions, I've added the repository through smart. Now, how do I go about installing it?? I'm getting this:

linux-mr5c:/home/sunil # smart channel --add *ftp.skynet.be/pub/software.opensuse.org/X11:/XGL/openSUSE_10.2/X11:XGL.repo
Fetching channel description...
-> *ftp.skynet.be/pub/software.opensuse.org/X11:/XGL/.../X11:XGL.repo
X11:XGL.repo ######################################## [100%]

Alias: X11:XGL
Type: rpm-md
Name: Repository for Xgl and related packages that give your Desktop some bling (openSUSE_10.2)
Base URL: *software.opensuse.org/download/X11:/XGL/openSUSE_10.2/

Include this channel? (y/N): y

linux-mr5c:/home/sunil # smart install beryl
Loading cache...
Updating cache... ######################################## [100%]

error: 'beryl' matches no packages

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
@phreak0utt:just browse the repo for the packages names correct.
perhaps below link will help u :)
*repos.opensuse.org/X11:/XGL/openSUSE_10.2/i586/
that repo contains the pkgs and names.try dont know much as i dont uses suse

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

Well, I downloaded everything related to Compiz, Beryl, Emerald and Aquamarine. Whenever I try to install something, it complains about either dependencies or asks for the newer version of Compiz to be installed. I tried installing through Smart but it shows that nothing interesting exists in the repo :( How do I atleast update Compiz??

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

NO! There are no readme files, no nothing. I think I'll never be able to install *img90.exs.cx/img90/2365/k1ocray.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom