Can anyone help me understand windows better

Status
Not open for further replies.

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
My question is quite simple -
What exactly exactly makes windows 98 faster than windows xp?

I am typical geek who has meddled in windows services, played around in the deep trenches of HKLM, group policy . Tried memory freeing/defragmenting utilities , registry-tweaks. Changed stuff in windows (explroer, login screen)
and yet xp is still slower than 98!

Ok now I am not complaining here abt xp being slower , but am just curious to know what exactly makes an OS(xp) slower than another OS(98) , excluding things like services,explorer,themes..

My best guess is that small background features that xp has and 98 don't add up slowing things down.

I'll repeat, am just curious, not looking for speed tweaks :)

ty

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
You should not compare XP with win98. XP is built on the 2000/NT kernel...and is much better and faster than 2000.

y2j826

Journeyman
XP is the best ever windows by microsoft launched, stable and secure then others, even vista has lot of bugs and need lot of resources so a dump windows, however i m using both XP and VISTA

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Lack of features of course. Compare the amount of services XP runs (For better stability, security and other factors which don't actually seem reliable) than how much 98 does (Which is unreliable on the whole!).

But on a better hardware, you just can't make do with Windows 98.

If you exclude all that you mention, XP is but 98 with more hardware support.

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
this is exactly like asking why photoshop 6 starts lot more faster than photoshop CS3 ;)

p.s. your geek license has just been revoked

_

OP
chesss

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
why photoshop 6 starts lot more faster than photoshop CS3
because it loads more plugins.. Duh!! :rolleyes:

If you exclude all that you mention, XP is but 98 with more hardware support.
So if[/f] this hardware support is removed/switched off(It may not be possible) then??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom