Can a CRT TV be made SMART TV ?

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
Hi

I have Panasonic 21" CRT TV.It has no HDMI port

21RX20C | Panasonic

I have saw many gadgets which convert TV to smart TV but all use HDMI port

Is there any gadget that can connect to ordinary Component Video(DVD)In x 1, Video/Audio In x 3, Video/Audio Out x1, Headphone Jack x1

Thanks
Sumit

Sam22

TV Expert
CRT in themselves are smart TV so I don't find the need to convert them into a smart TV.

doomgiver

Warframe
what is smart? a box that can play content..... just get a media player and convert a "dumb" box to a "smart" one.

go buy a boxee or something.

doomgiver

Warframe
the latest digit has a media centre shootout, no? or maybe it was chip or some other magazine.
google for home media centre.

they can play/rip/convert files, access the net, and even stream files.

or just use a computer with a tv tuner card.

OP
esumitkumar

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
computer with TV tuner is not need..laptop is 15.6" and TV is 21"..so I want to watch old/missed serials on youtube on TV

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
@Sumit whats your budget??

there are n Number of devices with various price points which can be used to make a TV "Smart" . but more of them will either be having only HDMI or the ones with RCA connection may a little expensive. you can but which ever suites you and if the device has only HDMI output then you can buy a HDMI to Component/RCA converter.

I have a this Playon!HD2 :: AC Ryan | Defining Digital Entertainment I think I had paid 8.5K about a year ago. it has all the connections required for various current and previous generation TV's.

Lalit Kishore

Broken In
Amkette has also offered a media streaming device, called Evo TV - and it will apparently work with the CRT TV as well - so you can try that. For turning your existing Tv into a Smart TV - this is an affordable way - costs less than 10K. Of course, you will need a capable broadband connection, so add another 1500-200 to your monthly budget. Thought on its website, EvoTV claims to have better Smart features than current incumbents such as LG Smart TV, but it does not appear that way.

ashutosh_jain

Broken In
Don't throw good money after bad bro; better buy a new TV. Lots of attractive EMI options available for TVs of all brands be it Sony, Panasonic or Samsung. Buying a setbox will give you only partial smart TV experinece in my opinion.

LGWRSherlock

LG Expert
+1 to that. Why stick with CRT TV when you can buy a LED or semi-LED at affordable prices now?

Semi-LED? This is the first time I'm hearing about this! :p In any case, I completely agree with webgenius and ashutosh_jain. You can buy a Smart LED TV for a very affordable price now, so there's no point in "investing" in your old CRT by "upgrading" it with a STB. The far better option is to use the funds you would spend on the STB and put it towards purchasing a new TV.

LG WRman Sherlock, out!

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
Semi-LED? This is the first time I'm hearing about this! :p In any case, I completely agree with webgenius and ashutosh_jain. You can buy a Smart LED TV for a very affordable price now, so there's no point in "investing" in your old CRT by "upgrading" it with a STB. The far better option is to use the funds you would spend on the STB and put it towards purchasing a new TV.

LG WRman Sherlock, out!
"Semi-LED" is the term I heard from a LG/Samsung showroom guy last weekend. The guy told that it is one grade below LED (Not sure what exactly he meant).

Top Bottom