Can a CRT TV be made SMART TV ?

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
led tv aint LED man. its just the back light that is led. the thing is LCD. even correct definitionw ill be TFT.
there is ongoing research on miniaturisation of leds so that it can be incorporated as indivijual elements for viewing from short distances.

a true led display will be found at mall/stadiums/e-display boards,the large displays... those things use leds to generate the images. since you view from a large distance, the eye cannot perceive the difference in the distance b/w individual leds.

so all these LED/semi LED, they are just marketing gimmick.

Jitendra Singh

Broken In
Hi

I have Panasonic 21" CRT TV.It has no HDMI port

21RX20C | Panasonic

I have saw many gadgets which convert TV to smart TV but all use HDMI port

Is there any gadget that can connect to ordinary Component Video(DVD)In x 1, Video/Audio In x 3, Video/Audio Out x1, Headphone Jack x1

Thanks
Sumit

Even if you keep the budgetary issues aside, my question is why get yourself entangled in all this hassle? Use your laptop/PC for viewing online content and plan for a LED Smart TV if you're really into it. A 32" model would easily come within 30-35K these days..

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
Even if you keep the budgetary issues aside, my question is why get yourself entangled in all this hassle? Use your laptop/PC for viewing online content and plan for a LED Smart TV if you're really into it. A 32" model would easily come within 30-35K these days..

i would do it just for the fun of it. the guy is trying to learn something. JUGAAD is the term that comes to mind. Also DIY. :)
help him on the topic he has questioned.

and talking about budgetary issues, i'd say that jugaad thing would cost him a lot less than a LED smart tv.

LGWRSherlock

LG Expert
i would do it just for the fun of it. the guy is trying to learn something. JUGAAD is the term that comes to mind. Also DIY. :)
help him on the topic he has questioned.

and talking about budgetary issues, i'd say that jugaad thing would cost him a lot less than a LED smart tv.

True, jugaad may actually cost him a lot less than buying a whole new TV. However, at the same time, there is no way of telling how long this "upgrade" will last and keep him satisfied. It's kind of like putting NO2 into a Volkswagon Buggy that's been driven for 20 years. Yea, the car will probably run faster during the time you turn on the NO2, but the car is still the same old Buggy when you're not using the NO2. Given that CRT technology is extremely old, might as well jump onto the LED bandwagon now! Next year, the 2012 line up TVs will be much cheaper. In addition, the 2011 line-up will most likely be sold off completely.

LG WRman Sherlock, out!

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
say... what will be the price of the biggest non-smart led[actually lcd-tft] and a smart tv of the same screen size?? any brand.. what about LG??

what i wanted to say was this: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/tvs-monitors/164279-why-television-failed-become-smart.html#post1805278

LGWRSherlock

LG Expert
say... what will be the price of the biggest non-smart led[actually lcd-tft] and a smart tv of the same screen size?? any brand.. what about LG??

what i wanted to say was this: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/tvs-monitors/164279-why-television-failed-become-smart.html#post1805278

This is actually quite a difficult question to answer given that there are "dumb" TVs, Smart TVs, and Smart 3D TVs, and there are multiple tiers and screen sizes for each. However, to give you an idea of the difference in price, the MRP for the 42LS4600 is 65,000 Rs. while the MRP for the 42LS5700 is 70,000 Rs.. The LS4600 is a "dumb" TV, while the LS5700 is a Smart TV. Neither have 3D capabilities. So for the extra smart features, I would say that it really doesn't add too much extra cost to your budget!

LG WRman Sherlock, out!

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
hmm.. i'd still go for a HTPC, which can easily be assembled within 13-15k. :p a LOT more smarter.

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
Just buy apple TV($99). I am not sure how much it costs in India but the device quality is beautiful and works perfectly.

LGWRSherlock

LG Expert
Just buy apple TV($99). I am not sure how much it costs in India but the device quality is beautiful and works perfectly.

True, you could just buy an HTPC to make your TV "smart". But I would definitely not recommend this for a simple CRT TV. Trying to play HD content on SD resolution seems like... blasphemy. If you wish to add an HTPC, make sure you have the proper TV to work with it!

LG WRman Sherlock, out!

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
nobody in their right state of mind would ass HTPC to a CRT. it was just a point in argument. i hope OP doesnt add an HTPC to a CRT TV. :p

desai_amogh

In the zone
Coming back to converting the CRT to a smart TV. CRT TV itself can not be converted to a Smart TV. however you can add an external 'smart device' to view its content on your CRT. Now Im sure u already know this.

Now coming to the Jugad part.. You currently have few options to achieve this.
1. STBs (smart/ HD media box) - cost > 5k
2. Raspberry Pi < 3k
3. HTPC around 13k

LGWRSherlock

LG Expert
nobody in their right state of mind would ass HTPC to a CRT. it was just a point in argument. i hope OP doesnt add an HTPC to a CRT TV. :p

I really hope he doesn't either! But that reminds me of some people I know who play their PS3 games on a CRT TV. Sure, I guess it's playable, but WHY OH WHY! The graphical glory achieved by the PS3 should be fully appreciated on a 1080p (or at the very least 720p) display! If you can afford to buy a PS3 with games, you certainly have enough to upgrade your TV to at least HD ready.

LG WRman Sherlock, out!

Top Bottom