Camera talk...

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Hi guys,

I was thinking of a thread where we can have general chit chat... uh... anything and everything about cameras and photography...

It's for all from noob, amateur, enthusiast to professional.

Come on, let's start it...

Nikon has announced L610 similar to SX150, nice specification but lacks manual exposure control...
Nikon Coolpix L610: Digital Photography Review

Canon have been announcing SX150/130/120 in the month of August... Can we expect one?

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
I would like the successor to be more rectangular. The design looks old and odd

I also wonder if there is something wrong with Nikon, Canon, Panasonic and other major brands. They have stopped innovating and simply keep increasing MP count and zoom in successive products (not talking about DSLRs)

Looking at cameras in 10-20k range which is a very reasonable range... why are there no camera with a 1/1.7" sensor, 35mm (in terms of 35mm) 10 or 12x zoom lens and 8-10MP resolution?

Phone cameras have really come a long way in this aspect
HTC One X f/2.0 aperture
Nokia N8 1/1.8" sensor and xenon
Nokia 808 1/1.2" sensor, xenon and led for video. Awesome oversampling technique. The camera captures 5MP in default mode using the full sensor. Video better than Nex5N
iPhone4S : super fast HDR
Upcoming Sony cameraphone will have a new sensor that shoots HDR videos

Have PnS manufacturers stopped innovating?

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I also wonder if there is something wrong with Nikon, Canon, Panasonic and other major brands. They have stopped innovating and simply keep increasing MP count and zoom in successive products (not talking about DSLRs)

Some claim MP war is over. But it doesn't seems to be, Sony introduced 18MP with HX series. Now even more with RX100, 20MP... and reviews are overwhelmingly positive. There are some innovation, mostly they are just frills.

Even I had thought about similar thing, aperture ;). 3yrs back, small PnS (like, SX120) cam had f/2.8 now our cams are f/3.x. It's good to have a larger aperture.
Looking at cameras in 10-20k range which is a very reasonable range... why are there no camera with a 1/1.7" sensor, 35mm (in terms of 35mm) 10 or 12x zoom lens and 8-10MP resolution?
Except the sensor, we have the rest. Fuji cameras comes with 1/2" sensor, probably the biggest in this price range.
HTC One X f/2.0 aperture

We have a P310 ;)
EX2F is on the way with the whooping f/1.4 but will have a heavy price tag.
Nokia N8 1/1.8" sensor and xenon
Nokia 808 1/1.2" sensor, xenon and led for video. Awesome oversampling technique. The camera captures 5MP in default mode using the full sensor. Video better than Nex5N
iPhone4S : super fast HDR
Upcoming Sony cameraphone will have a new sensor that shoots HDR videos

If that's the case, Sony may soon bring that feature in it's cameras.

sujoyp

Grand Master
its not that p&s manufactures r not innovating..just the price r not less
nikon 1 series
pentax Q series
canon G1x
sony RX100
Olympus pen series
panasonic G series
all these r actually there to just stand above P&S ...and not there to compete DSLRs

but the cost of each of them is very high right now except a few

but if u see even nikon P7000 and canon g12,panasonic LX5 also cost more than 25k

soo its like companies wants u to increase budget ;) btw sensors in modern P&S r much better in low light then 2-3 years back

nac i am not sure how much that aperture value helps in those small sensors...

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
nac i am not sure how much that aperture value helps in those small sensors...

Yeah, that's a good point. I missed that... They were equipped with smaller sensor.

And yes, I missed that P7000.

abhidev

Human Spambot
one question...why should one prefer mirrorless cams over dslrs....keeping aside their form factor ?

tkin

Back to school!!
I am interested in only this cam: Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Hands-on Preview: Digital Photography Review
F2.8 all the way baby.

one question...why should one prefer mirrorless cams over dslrs....keeping aside their form factor ?
That's the important point, its easier to carry a small pocket size cam, plus micro 4/3rds can fit almost all lenses using adapters.

sujoyp

Grand Master
no one can neglect the fact that people dont buy dslrs coz they r big and hard to handle and carry
show ur wife/gf a dslr and a EPL3 ...u would instantly know the most basic differences :D

Also micro 4/3 are there to give DSLR type of pic quality in a smaller package...and 70-80% its quality is upto DSLR

3rd one the use of old lenses is just like android using various ROMs ;) u have to use it on manual modes...but photography becomes very cheap that way

I may get a micro 4/3 for my dad who just hates to carry huge package of dslr+lenses ...he had a yashika film slr and it was very light in weight

FZ200 got good reviews with 2.8 Aperture...but sensor size is still the same small one...will see the performance

Last edited:
OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist

It seems the form factor is the major +

There are manufacturers who make mirror-less CSC equipped with APS C sensors. So the quality of the image should be as good as DX format cameras (or at least close to that). Who knows, they may come up with full frame mirror-less camera in the near future ;)

I am interested in only this cam: Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Hands-on Preview: Digital Photography Review
F2.8 all the way baby.

Constant aperture through out the focal range, it's gonna be the tag line. whatdigitalcamera quoted FZ60s price around 20k, So I guess FZ200 price would be in 30s. Let's see....

sujoyp

Grand Master
sony is making a SLT full frame camera
Top sources say Sony developing full frame A99 as hybrid GH2-like DSLR targeting professional filmmakers | EOSHD.com

abhidev

Human Spambot
hmmm... so the quality may not be better than the DSLRs but it definitely makes them portable than the DSLRs....

Anyone here has a mirrorless cam...can pls some sample pics.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^ Up to my knowledge only Soumik has one. You can try flickr... There you can find plenty...

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Sony Nex series is pretty awesome. Because they use a larger APS-C sensor compared to their competition.

However Sony has limited the no. of accessories which is a bad thing. Sometimes I wonder why Canon isn't making these. Their G1X and G12 series is good but I would prefer a Nex any day.

The problem however is controls. On a proper DSLR you get plenty of buttons and dials for everything.. some are even customizable. The Nex series has everything hidden in menu. Hence professionals prefer a DSLR over mirrorless because it helps them get their camera ready very quickly

Another factor is the weight. DSLRs are heavy compared to mirrorless hence they feel better in hand when using with long and heavy telephoto lenses.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^ Not just Sony... Samsung is also using APS-C sensors and Fuji too with X-Pro 1. Now Canon joined the league with EOS M. We will know it's performance soon, I guess...

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Samsung I know but when it comes to IQ Sony > Olympus > Samsung

X-Pro 1 is better than the above but being priced above 1lakh it is in a different league altogether... and its competition is the Leica M9 :twisted:

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Yeah, that's really a huge price tag for mirrorless camera.

I don't know much (actually nothing) about brands not available in India esp. interchangeable cameras. But recently I just looked at some of the compacts from Leica, Casio, Ricoh, Sigma, Pentax and Kodak. Seems we didn't miss something huge. Other than Leica, some Kodak bridge cameras are using OIS, rest all all sensor shift or digital. And one model from Leica V-Lux 3, a clone version of FZ150 and priced around $950. It's really huuuuuge for a bridge. Some jaw dropping feature from those brands are continuous drive (40fps) from Casio, high speed recording (1000fps) again from Casio, and some cameras have time lapse recording ...

So, already there was a full frame mirrorless camera... :duh2:

sujoyp

Grand Master
@nac did u studied about interchangable lens camera limited to full frame only or u checked medium format from hasselblad , mamiya,pentax :D

the 3 worst thing about these OTHER formats are

1. No Optical viewfinder...there is digital viewfinder but its not optimal right now for any pro work at all
2. lack of buttons like prashant said...its one of the advantages of a pro grade DSLR that it have soo many quick access buttons

3. poor handling...there is very poor grip on these small cameras...and if u put heavy lenses u have to keep it in mind that the mount can break by even a 700gm lens...just always hold it with lens

Last edited:
Top Bottom