Camera @ 7-10K Range

Xai

Journeyman
Hi,

I am a newbie to photography, and looking to buy my first digital camera. My previous camera was a Kodak KB10 - used 12 years ago!

My budget is between 7-10K. Preferably, not to exceed 10K. Sweet spot would be 7-8K, but if it is justified, I can go up to 9-10K.

I checked Canon Powershot A3300 IS and Canon Ixus 115 HS on net. Which is better?

Any other suggestions/recommendations?

The camera should be able to function in colder places like North Sikkim, Kashmir/Ladakh etc.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
If the price difference between A3200 and A3300 is very narrow, you can go for A3300. If not, go for A3200. You would just get little extra MP, screen size and resolution from A3300.

FH8 is a nice one in this budget.

If IXUS 115 is available, that's also a good option.

But neither of the cameras are freeze proof. So I don't know how these would perform/work in abnormal weather. If your Kodak has worked, these should do as well (but I am not sure).

You can look for rugged cameras, but they don't fall in your budget.

sujoyp

Grand Master
I think for that price u have canon A3400IS ..it have all the features i would consider in a point and shoot but its a touch screen

else u can go for sony w630 which have good reviews but no vibration reduction and full hd recording

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^
W630 does have IS but not Full HD. It's just HD recording... Panasonic FH8 almost matches/better against W630 in spec. But I don't see any expert reviews for both the cameras. Just user reviews...

OP
Xai

Xai

Journeyman
Both A3300 IS and Ixus 115 HS seem to be widely unavailable/ out of production. I did see two pieces of Ixus 115 HS, but they were a very gaudy pink, so...

The Canon SX150 IS costs the exact same as A3400 IS. Which is better between these two? SX150 IS has better zoom, but I wonder how manual controls would be for a beginner like me. Is there a simpler auto feature for beginners in SX150 IS?

I will check the other recommendations as well. Currently more incline towards Canon, though.

sujoyp

Grand Master
sx150 is widely popular with those who want to learn photography...

but it have its own issues like pencil cells, big and bulkey

if u dont want manual controls then better buy a pocketable one

OP
Xai

Xai

Journeyman
sx150 is widely popular with those who want to learn photography...

but it have its own issues like pencil cells, big and bulkey

if u dont want manual controls then better buy a pocketable one

Yes, it does look old fashioned and bulky. But I guess, I don't really have that much of a problem with that - I will just carry it in a backpack or something.

Pencil batteries - good or bad? Are these the same normal pencil batteries that are available in any regular store?

I am hesitating because of manual control thing, but the salesman was insisting that it also has automatic controls just like Powershot/IXUs sets, but with added option of Manual control if and when I want to learn photography after getting acquainted with it. Of course, he is a salesman, and maybe he just wanted to sell his wares.

The plus point seems to be the zoom. Normally, I will use the camera (whichever one I buy) during the usual short weekend trips, and the vacation tours I try to go on every year.

How is the image and video quality difference between Ixus 115 HS, A3400 Is and SX150 IS?

PS: Touchscreen (A3400 IS) - good or bad?

Last edited:

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I feel A3300 is little pricey for its spec (comparing with A3200) 1k higher than A3200. And another 1.5k for touch (A3400), seems too much.

Forget SX150 or any other cameras which are AA powered. In general, batteries tend to lose its power more quickly in cold weather (the places you mentioned are like that, right?). Comparing with Li-on, AA batteries lose its power quicker. And talking about SX150's battery life... "It's not good"

Tell us how was your experience using KB10 in those places. It was also AA powered,
* were you using rechargeable batteries or alkaline?
* Battery life?
It was a film camera, obviously it wouldn't have eaten too battery. But I kinda feel, it's better to stay away from AA powered cameras.

OP
Xai

Xai

Journeyman
I feel A3300 is little pricey for its spec (comparing with A3200) 1k higher than A3200. And another 1.5k for touch (A3400), seems too much.

Yes, A3400 IS does not seem worth the price. That's why I was going for A3300 Is - extra 2K-ish for touchscreen, doesn't seem worth it. But then, A3300 is not available. I'll check if I can find A3200.

Ixus 115 HS should be the best value for money, right? Compared to A3300/A3400/SX150. I'll try my luck - if I can manage to get a old stock set or something.

Forget SX150 or any other cameras which are AA powered. In general, batteries tend to lose its power more quickly in cold weather (the places you mentioned are like that, right?). Comparing with Li-on, AA batteries lose its power quicker. And talking about SX150's battery life... "It's not good"

Okay, then. Li-on ones are rechargeable right? Is it possible to carry a spare in case one gets out of charge? How much does a separate battery cost?

Tell us how was your experience using KB10 in those places. It was also AA powered,
* were you using rechargeable batteries or alkaline?
* Battery life?
It was a film camera, obviously it wouldn't have eaten too battery. But I kinda feel, it's better to stay away from AA powered cameras.

Heh, you misunderstood me :p Last I used my Kodak camera was 12 years back on a Rajasthan trip. I brought that up to emphasize I have zero experience with digital camera :blush:

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Battery life should be decent as long as you buy Sanyo Eneloop batteries and do not use much of flash. Recording videos will drain battery faster though.
Advantage of AA batteries is wide availability of Duracells / alkaline batteries. Very useful while travelling.
Excellent zoom is definitely a plus point.
Just put the camera in P (short for Program) mode and shoot. Definitely a camera to take good photos with.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
With your budget you can get better than A3200. I was just bringing that up to compare it with A3300. Yes, IXUS 115 is the cheapest cameras equipped with BSI CMOS sensor, Full HD (probably the only camera under 10k), shoots faster than the suggested models, High speed video recording... (But I won't compare this with SX150)

The only thing is it doesn't use optical zoom when recording videos. Probably its possible with CHDK, but I don't know.

Yeah, Li-on batteries are like the ones we use in our mobile phones (match box size). And yes it is rechargeable. It's better to have extra batteries, but Li-on is expensive. And I really suggest you to check some sites, how to use cameras in cold places. And you should really check the camera you gonna buy "How it performs in cold places?" Just google it...

It's better to know before hand, rather than regretting later.

IXUS 115 is available in ebay. You can buy from there, if you are OK with it...

Operating temperature for both Canon SX150 and IXUS 115 is 0-40C. So its about batteries, AA Ni-MH batteries vs battery pack Li-on batteries.

Just quoting SX150 user review from amazon
I tested the Energizers mAh NiMH Rechargeable first and out in the cold in the middle of winter they were flat dead within about 1 1/2 hours. The OPTEX were strong for about 3+ hours and then after I took about 80+ photos came home, plugged the camera into the TV and then spent roughly 45 minutes viewing them - still no low battery. When the "low battery" light does finally come on in the SX150 camera, you still end up with a decent amount of time before the batteries are actually dead.

I am little convinced with AA battery performance in cold weather after reading this review. It's your call...

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^ No...
Actually, IXUS 115 is discontinued. And its MRP was 8495/- when discontinued. So it seems they are selling above MRP.

But in ebay, sulekha, indiaplaza... all are selling around 8k. Among them ebay is the cheapest, with coupon we can get it for 7k.

OP
Xai

Xai

Journeyman
... Definitely a camera to take good photos with.

Which camera are you talking about here?

With your budget you can get better than A3200. I was just bringing that up to compare it with A3300. Yes, IXUS 115 is the cheapest cameras equipped with BSI CMOS sensor, Full HD (probably the only camera under 10k), shoots faster than the suggested models, High speed video recording... (But I won't compare this with SX150)

The only thing is it doesn't use optical zoom when recording videos. Probably its possible with CHDK, but I don't know.

Yeah, Li-on batteries are like the ones we use in our mobile phones (match box size). And yes it is rechargeable. It's better to have extra batteries, but Li-on is expensive. And I really suggest you to check some sites, how to use cameras in cold places. And you should really check the camera you gonna buy "How it performs in cold places?" Just google it...

It's better to know before hand, rather than regretting later.

IXUS 115 is available in ebay. You can buy from there, if you are OK with it...

Operating temperature for both Canon SX150 and IXUS 115 is 0-40C. So its about batteries, AA Ni-MH batteries vs battery pack Li-on batteries.

Just quoting SX150 user review from amazon

I am little convinced with AA battery performance in cold weather after reading this review. It's your call...

*Sigh* choices choices - so confusing.

I don't usually rely on online shops when purchasing anything above 3K. But then, if I really can't get one in a shop, I might consider it.

Seems Ixus 115 HS image quality is better, whereas, SX150 has better zoom.

AA battery life is short, but then, if they are cheaper and easily available, I may carry extras with me, just in case.

I will check what I can find about cold weather performance.

Anyway, the assessment so far is Ixus 115HS >= SX150 IS > A3400 IS in terms of value for money, right? So it's really a choice between Ixus 115HS and SX150?

OP
Xai

Xai

Journeyman
So, I went camera hunting today, and...

Found one unit of A3300 IS @ Rs 7200. However, it was not in a sealed box. Given my budget, I think I can try for better.

Found one unit of Ixus 115 HS @ Rs 8100, but without batteries. The salesman said that he will give me further discount due to absence of battery. However, the unit was put on demo, and had a few little scratch and some fingerprint.

SX150 IS is very readily available. I saw Envie Speedster charger and Envie Rechargable battery. They any good?

I discussed with a colleague who went to Gurudongmer Lake (Sikkim, 17,200 ft - same place I am going in October) with a Canon Powershot series camera (worth 7K-ish) about 2 years back, and he claims that there were no problem on the device due to the cold (he went in winter). So I am hoping IXUS 115 HS or SX150 IS will not have a problem.

PS: @ nac - I was checking your SX130 IS review (which is brilliant, by the way), and noticed you use the Envie Speedster. Rs 500 a good price for it?

Last edited:

nac

Aspiring Novelist
One unit of battery alone (for IXUS 115) will cost you more than 1k. Better go for a brand new sealed unit then the demo.

I am using Envie for the last 7 months, its good.

Seems the cameras do fine in cold weather. Now the availability and budget matters.
IXUS 115
- Not readily available
- Extra battery is expensive
+ Li-on performs better in cold weather
+ Cheaper

SX150
- Expensive than 115
- Almost its necessary to buy a quick charger
+ Extra batteries are cheaper
+ Readily available

Yeah, it's a nice deal, I bought Envie Speedster quick charger for Rs.650/-

OP
Xai

Xai

Journeyman
How is Nikon Coolpix S6200 (compared to SX150 IS and IXUS 115 HS)? Same price range as SX150 IS.

Top Bottom