Calling All LAN Experts ...

vizkid2005

In the zone
We have a big colony with more than 12 buildings situated at walking distance at each other ....
I want to setup LAN between us friends that stay in those buildings ...

Purpose : File Sharing, LAN gaming and Chat ...

Idea :
1)Place a switch on each building ...
2)Connect all connection of that respective building in that switch ...
3) Connect all the switches in series ...

Will this work ???
Do wee need a dedicated server ???
How do I implement it ???

Please HELP !!!

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
yes also u can do the internal connections in a building wired & connect from building to building using wifi if ur opting for total wired for outdoor connections us the shielded cables also use i/o boxes for better connectivity/data transmission get back fo any help

OP
V

vizkid2005

In the zone
@ Mithun and vidhubhushan : Thanks for replying ...
Also which switches should I use ... I expect around 5 to 6 ppl from each building ...
Please recommend some nice switches at a gud economical price point ...

I plan to connect all switches in series ... will it work ??? one to other ... other to another ... will this work ???

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
get linksys/cisco 8port or the neatgear ones use cross cables for connecting switch to switch better use an I/O box

OP
V

vizkid2005

In the zone
Also .. What is the cost of CAT 5 cable in mumbai ???
And how do you get the cables across buildings ... wont its weight put too much tension on the cable ... longer the distance between buildings more the tension ... how do I go about that problem ???
Also How much does an I/O box cost ???
Do I need it for just a single switch ???

Here is the big problem ...
We all frens are already hooked to the internet through different providers ... so one ethernet port is always on for internet ... Can we hook up another NIC to our machine for LAN only ... Can a computer have 2 IP addresses simultaneously ???

Last edited:
Top Bottom