Cabinet Mod . . . . .LED

Status
Not open for further replies.

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a Laser Torch? Some picture/sample would be helpful. Also how to install it so that it look like a illumunated tube.

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
*www.bcdxc.org/resistor_color_codes.htm
*brunningsoftware.co.uk/ResVal.htm

look at these and google for more.

btw it is raining hard here in dehradun.. so this mod has to wait till tomo for me :-(

LASER MOD: Just a simple red dot laser wont look good. get one of those laser keychains that come with lens coverings.. put on which ever u like and point it onthe mobo or something. will look good only if u have a transparent side cover.
--------------------
@jhon the ultimate
look at this *www.m-99.co.uk/Electrical/Laser_Pointer_Keyrings/laser_pointer_keyrings.html

in india these are available for less then 150rs in grey markets like chinese or choor bazzar

sample of display patterns:*img170.imageshack.us/img170/8501/patternsanixk9.gif

i think another nice MOD would be to point the laser graphic on to a translucent side cover from inside. would look really amazing. specially if we rig it to blink with the HDD LED :-D sounds good i will give a thought to this....

Last edited:
OP
int86

int86

You'r Born Free
Ya great thinking roller. I got a good laser with 15 lens 4 Rs20. It will take a month 4 me to make a side transparent.

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
First of all the spelling of my name is "JOHN" and not JHON. Just wanted to clarify.
Now back to business...................about transparent cover just use PLEXIGLASS available at any glass shop.
Then a nice little (as big as u require) window and drill holes for the nut and bolts or u cud just glue it on with say...fevikwik (but I prefered nut and bolts because it is safer and also looks good) and attach the glass. Now u have a see-throught window. Or see this guide *www.aselabs.com/articles.php?id=42
Will post some pictures when I do complete my cabby mod.

Rollercoaster

alright people. its done.

I tried with both 557 and 547 transisters. works fine with the ckt i have given. Though my LEDs were less brighter with 547 because it was faulty or something.

Lets take a look at the ckt again
*img168.imageshack.us/img168/5684/hddleddl0fl3.jpg

One thing to note is that my HDD activity LED was -ve driven.
Different mobos can have different polarity driven LEDs.

The rule of thumb here would be:
-ve driven: when the +ve voltage is applied always and the -ve is applied and removed when the LED needs to be turned ON/OFF. Use BC557. Connect the point marked with X to -ve leg of HDD LED.

+ve driven: when the -ve voltage is applied always and the +ve is appled and removed when the LED needs to be turned ON/OFF. USE BC547. Connect the point marked with X to +ve leg of HDD LED.
VR1 - VR1 is a preset available for <10Rs. The view shown is the pic is top view. It is a variable resistance. Buy one. Connect it using the two pins marked by red dot eitherway. Now before power ON turn the dial on the preset fully to the right with a screw driver. Now power on. If ur LEDS dont glow then start turning the dial to the left slowly and keep turning untill u have max brightness. Stop turning when u have bright enough LEDS. Be Carefull not to turn more if the brightness stops increasing and start turning right now till u see the Brightness start to go down slightly. you are done. Now u are drawing the lowest possible power from the mobo. This circuit is completely safe. :)

And hey, do some 3-4GB data copy or run degragmenter to keep the HDD LED ON so that u can see the new added ones to light up.

Last edited:

XtraOrdinary

Right off the assembly line
OMG..
is this real or what??? has anyone tested it.. my pc wont go BOOM na!

i want to do this like i want to breath.. i did small project in school in electronics.
are these 557 things available?

this forum is hightech man. and i thought only amatures read digit. but i am stumped.

please tell if someone completer it?

rollercoaster- u r the guru. i am amazed at ur effort. what other modding have u made. anything with fans....

janitha

Wise Old Owl
XtraOrdinary said:
OMG..
is this real or what??? has anyone tested it.. my pc wont go BOOM na!

i want to do this like i want to breath.. i did small project in school in electronics.
are these 557 things available?

this forum is hightech man. and i thought only amatures read digit. but i am stumped.

please tell if someone completer it?

rollercoaster- u r the guru. i am amazed at ur effort. what other modding have u made. anything with fans....

First let me confess that I have not tried Rollercoaster's circuit due to shortage of time.

But in all possibility it is worth trying and the components are esaily avialable and very cheap.
I really admire him in the attempts.

Rollercoaster

@xtraordinary: i can assure u that the above circuit works absolutely fine. still as this is elecronics, i will say try at your own risk. For this mod u should have some electronics unerstanding.

@int86: dude where did u go?

@janitha: thanks

@

OP
int86

int86

You'r Born Free
@roller
when u join irc
i was busy in ganesh puja. I got all stuff i have just to solder.

Rollercoaster

ok guys here is a video of the HDD LED MOD.. sory i dont have a camcoder so will have to do with a very very low res mobile video. use quicktime to view. it is 3g2 format.

LINK (size ~550kb) : *rapidshare.de/files/31649785/LED_MOB_Rollercoaster.3g2.html

Please tell me your comments...

blackpearl

The Devil
I m also thinking about lighting up my cabinet using leds. I bought a couple of blue and white LEDs today. I plan to use a 555 in astable mode and connect the o/p to one group of blue LEDs. Then I will use the same o/p and connect it to another 555 in inverter mode and connect another group of white LEDs to the o/p of the 2nd 555 IC. The result will be that the blue and whilt LEDs will glow alternately. I will adjust the clock pulse of the 1st 555 IC to give about 0.8 sec width pulse. Will tell you when its finished.

P.S: My only concern now is upto how many LEDs can the 555 IC drive. I will download the datasheet of 555 first.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom