C905-A Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
C905 -A Review

Well. Having had the C905 for over a month, i thought it was high time i post a review of one of the most happening phones owned in the forum. Will post samples in a while, please feel free to ask me about anything you feel is questionable.

Build Quality

Well.First things first. The first thing you notice when you hold the phone is the matt finished body. A rubberrized grip provides a brilliant feel to the body and prevents it from smudging. Going on to the slide. The slider is extremely solid, and unlike some N-seire phones you come across, theres no play either side. The spring action is firm and th slider opens with a large click that expresses its fluidity.
The materials consist of metal and plastic that provides the phone with a firm feel. I am pretty certain that it will hold up till i get the IDOU. :p

Display

Okk. 2.4" may be bit of a downer for some. But for me, the display is perfect. The clarity inside and under direct sunlight is breathtaking and compares well with my firends N85. In fact it blows the N85 in sunlight legibility. The scratch resistant mineral glass is a great intro.

Music Player/Radio

The PSP styled Media player that has been a standard for SE devices since 2007 puts itself forward again. A brilliant interface with excellent media playback, this phone is a media powerhouse. The sound hrough headphones is simply brilliant, with no distortion at high levels and crisp,solid bass. The phone when couple with the ep630 is a force to deal with, In fact phonearena described the C905 to be one of the best players in the market, only just outclassed by the W995. Check out phonearena for more details. The radio is a basic one with standard RDS support that does its work brilliantly without too much fuss.

P.S. For more on audio quality check the gsmarena's review on the W995 which is the walkman version of the C905 and uses the same hardware.

Sony Ericsson W995 is certainly one of the best efforts from the company in terms of audio quality. It easily ranks among the best examples currently on the market getting an impressive number on every reading in our test. We've been quite worried over the past few devices by Sony Ericsson that went through our sound lab but the W995 clearly shows that they are simply exceptions from the company's otherwise excellent record.
The phone flaunts an amazing frequency response keeping within the +-1db range effortlessly with only the lowest of frequencies slightly cut off. Furthermore, for most of its range it is right on the perfect track. Noise level and dynamic range readings are praiseworthy and so are the distortion levels. The crosstalk is also excellent, adding up to one of the industry best quality audio outputs to date.

Messaging & Web Browsing

Messaging on the C905 is pretty standard as in all SE phones. The only change is that the default editor now incorporates both SMS and MMS profiles, thus it automatically transforms to MMS when a picture is inserted and remains an SMS as long as normal text is used. It also has a new feature named conversations, recently added by a firmware update. Here, you can sms-chat with your friends in a chatroom sort of a format, with bubbles coming emerging for every reply your friend sends. To visualize it, think of how we chat in gtalk.

The Netfront browser in the C905 is a push in the right direction. The browser has a mouse pointer which acts as a convinience when surfing large pages. The browser automatically switches to wifi on the avaibility of a signal and on the loss of it transfers to high speed internet.

Keypad & General Ergonomics

The keypad on the C905 is, if the not the best, pretty acceptable. Being someone with large hands, the keypad felt a bit small in the beginning, but the superb tactile feedback and the well spaced keys got to me in a couple of days and i was typing myself to glory. The menu buttons are well distributed and the d-pad is very sensitive. All in all, a perfect slider.

GPS

Not that I use GPS much, but initial impressions are pretty good. The sattelite locks itself in a matter of seconds, and i can use turn by turn navigation through the wayfinder and also locate my position in google maps. The latest update provided with an application called walk mate, which runs in the background and counts the number of steps i take throughout the day. It sets itself a health goal and calculates the number of cals i burnt while walking
Also included is the tracker option through which i can measure the distance i covered, time taken etc..blah blah a fitness freaks paradise.

Battery

battery performance is reasonable. It lasts me a cool 1.5 days with heavy usage. I find that pretty good.

Camera

Moving on to the main selling point of the phone. The camera. Well, packing in a cool 8.1 mps, this phone is a monster when it comes to taking pics. Packed with a xenon +led combo nothing is too dark for this little maestro. The camera UI is simply fantabulous, with evrything at your fingertips. Shortcut butons for every possible change in settings, its a pleasure. The startup speed is pretty fast, in milliseconds if you want to rate it. The saving speed doesnt leave much to be desired either.A measly second for a 2.5 mb file. Overall, the UI, the camera quality is simpl brilliant and is yet to outclassed. The recent firmware updates are an icing in the cake and has increased the image quality by leapfrogs.

Conclusion

All in all a brilliant phone. With everything you canw ant for in a phone, this is an excellent buy. The video recording however stands to QVGA and is a dissapointment. With major players going to HD and hence, SE are still stuck in the stone age. But stereo mics add good value for recrding sound. The latest update however has increased the Video quality by leaps. Will provide samples as and when i get time. :)

*i44.tinypic.com/20kucyw.jpg

*i40.tinypic.com/30db3g6.jpg

Last edited:

krates

Be CoOl rAp RuLeZ !!!
nice review ... please add some images to your post to make it look attractive :)

sujoyp

Grand Master
Great review..

I have a small question...how the hell did SE make a screen with 256k better then 16million of nokia.

Atually my T700 have 2 inch one but it easily outclass most of mobiles in screen clarity.

Searched on net but couldnt find a answer:razz:

krates

Be CoOl rAp RuLeZ !!!
^^ there is no much difference between 256k and 16 million... by the way just go and check you t700 screen with 5320 you will find the same clarity.... as the screen's have more inches then t700 but same resolution so there clarity is not the same as that of yours'

hahahari

In the zone
Difference between 256K and 2 M is pretty igh. 2M have better transition from one colour to the next...Grouping of similar colours occurs in 256K while, 2M displayes the pic perfectly. Hi Res Pics are better displayed in 2M screen.

OP
dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
^^Umm.. That may be true for LCDs but in a 2.4 inch display, you can hardly notice any difference. The C905 sports one of the best screens in the market only mastered by the likes of N85 and i7110. 16 million is a farce, coz our eyes cant differentiate between so many colours in such a small place at once. The technology used in SE phones for their display are superior to their counterparts. Also it saves battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom