Buying UPS tomorrow, suggestions...

ithehappy

Human Spambot
I am buying an UPS tomorrow as my D-Link is more or less dead after 4½ years service. Anyway APC will be the brand, but I have planned for 800VA, would that be enough with my config? I don't need 30 or 20 minutes backup, 5 mins will more than enough.

Thanks in advance.

d3p

PowerHouse
I am buying an UPS tomorrow as my D-Link is more or less dead after 4½ years service. Anyway APC will be the brand, but I have planned for 800VA, would that be enough with my config? I don't need 30 or 20 minutes backup, 5 mins will more than enough.

Thanks in advance.

As you have not mention the prices, i will list out all the models.

APC 600VA [5 mins backup] - 1800.00

APC 650VA [5<10 mins backup] - 2700.00

APC 800VA [15-20mins backup] - 3500.00

APC 1KVA [approx 30+ mins backup] - 5000.00

Numeric 800VA - 2500.00

Numeric 1KVA - 3500.00

As your requirements are pretty clear, IMO you should opt for min 800va of APC or Numeric. you will get approx 20mins under full load.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Numeric? Are they better than APC? I want it for long run. and 20 mins is way more.
Thanks in advance.

d3p

PowerHouse
But whats ur budget??? And post ur full rig.

Dude, his rig is mentioned in his signature itself.

i7 950►SABERTOOTH►4GB RAM►GTX560►500GB HD►TX650

Intel i7 950 LGA1366, Asus X58 Sabertooth Mobo, Corsair XMS3 2X2GB 1600C9, Asus GTX560 Ti or MSI GTX560Ti, 500GB HDD & Corsair TX650.

Last edited:

arko1983

In the zone
"ithehappy" can u suggest from were u r buying ie which shop and i am thinking of buying 1 kva model.
APC 1KVA [approx 30+ mins backup] - 5000.00
or
Numeric 1KVA - 3500.00
1.5 k less is quite good can it hold my system for 5 mins.(my current ups shuts off when power fails.)
i also dont need much backup like 5 mins is ok.
Specs in signature.
8 case fans (5x 120,3x 230) + 4 high speed delta in future

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Sure thing :), but I was thinking if in future I upgrade to 580 or better card then will that 800VA be enough?

d3p

PowerHouse
all it depends on your PSU, not your GPU. If your PSU can handle a GTX580 [it can], then your UPS will give a backup of 15-20mins. If your select a 1000w PSU then it will give less backup time.

d3p

PowerHouse
@ithehappy: IMO if you are planning to hit a 580 under your cabinet may be in a year or two, then plan properly & get 1KVA, otherwise 800 does the job.

If not then 1KVA is costs higher as well as will be more futureproof.

arko1983

In the zone
lets buy together ithehappy maybe we will get a discount on the 1 kva model. let me know if u r interested.btw were do u live.(i live in behala)

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
@Arko, Oh man, idea was good, but I already purchased it and just returned home.

Purchased APC 1100VA, Price Rs.4200, Vedant as usual :)
Now just tell me should I just plug it and charge for 6 hours or I have to do anything else? The Manual says I have to open battery cover and connect a black wire to -ve point, I opened it but there is no Black wire open, so did nothing. Now I am waiting to give that thing some charge, shall I go on? and my board is 5A, would that be a problem?
Thanks in advance.

Guys please reply :)

Last edited:
OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
OK, now this seems to be a problem, I started charging at 5-30 pm, now it's 10-30, but the UPS is still cold, I mean shouldn't it get some hot after 5 hours of charge !

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
@Arko, Oh man, idea was good, but I already purchased it and just returned home.

Purchased APC 1100VA, Price Rs.4200, Vedant as usual :)
Now just tell me should I just plug it and charge for 6 hours or I have to do anything else? The Manual says I have to open battery cover and connect a black wire to -ve point, I opened it but there is no Black wire open, so did nothing. Now I am waiting to give that thing some charge, shall I go on? and my board is 5A, would that be a problem?
Thanks in advance.

Guys please reply :)

I have the same APC. It comes with the battery not connected to the terminals. Remove the battery cover and pull out the battery. One terminal will be connected and one will not be. It will be a slip on socket type thing. Connect the terminal and slide the battery back in carefully. Close the cover.

This is done so during travel it does not short circuit. Basically past 5 hours you have been charging a disconnected battery....!

:)

Top Bottom