buying hard disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

zuala77

Broken In
can my ata hard disk be connected with a sata cable..... i have two data connectors in my mobo....how much will be the price of ata 80 gb hard disk and dvd double layer disc

Kniwor

Learner
cyberzook said:
80 GB SATA is Rs. 2650 + VAT
120 GB SATA is Rs. 3800 + VAT
200 GB PATA is Rs. 4100 + VAT

can u tell me where in kolkata can i find 200Gb pat for 4100+vat
i need this 1 if u quoted correctly

Techie_Geek

Journeyman
Now with SATA II emerging as the satndard PATA HDDs are dead. Not only the SATA offers better bus speed over PATA, but the newer Intel and other motherboards have no support for PATA drives.

Seagate/Samsung SATA 200 GB.

By the way, I thought u had a 250GB HDD, need 1 more ???

Kniwor

Learner
Techie_Geek said:
Now with SATA II emerging as the satndard PATA HDDs are dead. Not only the SATA offers better bus speed over PATA, but the newer Intel and other motherboards have no support for PATA drives.

Seagate/Samsung SATA 200 GB.

By the way, I thought u had a 250GB HDD, need 1 more ???

yeah i have 250Gb....
and a removable 40Gb

but was just willing to get another HDD for backup n stuff.

Now i know very clearly why am i getting a PATA.

The SATA HDD's are not faster than the PATA HDD's, neither will SATA II be for some time.
PATA, SATA, nad SATA II are bus types, SATA is faster than PATA, and SATA II is very much faster than both of them, but

if a seagate barracuda gives X Mb/s, it will give X Mb/s no mater what bus u use to get data from it, hope u get my point, so be it PATA,SATA or SATA2, all will give same performance because the HDD's here are not fast enough, the HDD is the bottleneck and not the bus. so right now if u are getting a motherboard with SATA 2 it is a good step, but if u are getting a seagate barracuda SATA2, it is a waste of money,

BTW i dont know what HDD's are coming with SATA2, so may be the faster ones are coming, in that case it is wise o get a SATA2.

ashnik

Ambassador of Buzz
i do not want to start a new thread, so
Can i install Win XP pro from a bootable CD on SATA HDD if i do not have a floppy drive?

Tech&ME

Banned
ashnik said:
Can i install Win XP pro from a bootable CD on SATA HDD if i do not have a floppy drive?

YES you can, and install WinXP pro as you would install it on a PATA hdd. The floppy Drive is only required if you decide to install the RAID drivers which is optional.

Kniwor

Learner
Tech&ME said:
ashnik said:

YES you can, and install WinXP pro as you would install it on a PATA hdd. The floppy Drive is only required if you decide to install the RAID drivers which is optional.

wrong, u might be able to install and u might not be, this depends on what is ur SATA. and what CD of windows u have.

basically there are chances that the drivers for ur SATA is there in the CD of windows u have, but there are chances that they are not there. so it's luck.

But still u can install by making another CD by integrathing the drivers in the CD. u will not need a FDD in this case

Status
Not open for further replies.