Buying games is a waste of money,Why should we buy when we can download for free from the internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
Re: Buying games is a waste of money,Why should we buy when we can download for free from the intern

Piracy is not theft. The closest it comes to is counterfeiting, which like piracy comes under copyright infringement.

The reason is that the data that you copy is your own unlicensed replica, even if identical to the original, and the developer/ distributor has not lost it's unsold boxes when you pirated it via <insert source here>.

It would be stealing if you broke into a shop or the developer's/publisher's office and took away the physical media that stores the data. Hell even if you went in and copied the data from their computers into your own media that would be piracy+breaking and entering. It would not be theft.

That does not mean I condone piracy at all. Rather, all I am doing is pointing out that stealing and piracy are not the same and should not be considered the same.

+1.

well said, piracy does not amount to theft. Because you arent stealing anything, you are just replicating.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Re: Buying games is a waste of money,Why should we buy when we can download for free from the intern

okay.. time to do some minor correction.. Instead of using the words theft / stealing.. let use the words.. illegal and unethical.

Until harsher punishments are implemented for copyright violations, nothing can be done till then(unless the person pirating stops doing so).

Games apart, the Indian film industry is heavily affected, they would concentrate on curbing piracy in Movie industry first. I hate it when my brother asks me to "download" the latest movies.

mohityadavx

Youngling

Well I am bit deflecting from the topic but then I couldnt resist saying it just like Games one could not say the same for academic journals. Authors of these journals are students or faculties who spend a lot of time in writing these articles and aint paid anything for article being published. Then student/faculty involved in editorial board are also not paid anything but then come these database like JStor, LexisNexis, Manupatra etc who charge exorbitantly for a single article. Their subscription are damn expensive for a student. I guess academic work at least the e-copy should be free as a printed copy of course require publishing cost.

Piyush

Lanaya

Well, I dont care much about big corps. But I never downloaded and never will an Indie game. Thats just bad to download it for free even when the devs of Indie games gave you an option of paying from 1$ to X$. And I too never buy a fresh game which is selling at a whooping price of $50-60. Instead I wait for its price to come down and play other games meanwhile (read Dota or other single player games that I bought at good deals).

Come to think of it, we can spend Rs 1000 - 2000 at BBQ nation and other food spots so easily. But we dont find it good to pay even $1 for Indie games :|

Nerevarine

Incarnate

Stop Piracy, Steal original Game DVDs :razz:

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent

Stop Piracy, Steal original Game DVDs :razz:

:+1:

:razz:

:mrgreen:

I saw that as a siggy of some Digitian two years back.
but it said "Kill piracy, Steal original CDs"
or maybe kill was stop.

Last edited:

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin

Oh wow thread went full circle...

These arguments are from 10 years ago and predate digital distribution channels
Support, bandwidth for updates, multiplayer servers all get affected by pirates, affecting both other players and the company as well. Pirates hog resources meant for paying users unnaturaly.
Games get affected much more than music or movies because they are not performed in stadiums, screened in theatres or broadcast on tv... There is only one way of consuming them

Piyush

Lanaya

Oh wow thread went full circle...

These arguments are from 10 years ago and predate digital distribution channels
Support, bandwidth for updates, multiplayer servers all get affected by pirates, affecting both other players and the company as well. Pirates hog resources meant for paying users unnaturaly.
Games get affected much more than music or movies because they are not performed in stadiums, screened in theatres or broadcast on tv... There is only one way of consuming them
This.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.

I saw that as a siggy of some Digitian two years back.
but it said "Kill piracy, Steal original CDs"
or maybe kill was stop.

that was in krishnandu.sarkar siggy :-D

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

you can point out thousand more excuses in favor of piracy, gr8 job. well done..
When has he justified piracy? He's just stating a point - a right point actually.

Infact he rightly pointed out that piracy is not 'stealing'. More like counterfeiting.

Zangetsu

I agree making a copy of original and distributing it freely is also piracy (coz the developer is losing money on new replicated copy)

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor

I agree making a copy of original and distributing it freely is also piracy (coz the developer is losing money on new replicated copy)

Unless it is for free, fair use, without any CD Key, crack etc being supplied ;)

Obviously this excludes DRM free games.

Zangetsu

Unless it is for free, fair use, without any CD Key, crack etc being supplied ;)

Obviously this excludes DRM free games.

one will have to read EULA of the original product before distributing it freely

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor

one will have to read EULA of the original product before distributing it freely

EULAs are not a problem. Copyright laws permit "fair use" and "non-commercial distribution" of Intellectual Property. When you are making a copy of a CD and distributing it without making money and you are not supplying CD keys to activate the game or circumventing DRM with cracks and all, then you are distributing them as "backup" copies to those who have lost their CD keys.

If EULAs prohibit you from doing that, they run afoul of IP and copyright laws and thus the conflicting segments are not legally enforceable.

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent

^^ Dont you guys think we should educate ourselves against piracy, I have been having this idea (about a month back) about a good thread informing us all about all the things which are actually piracy but are rarely considered as such.
I would be glad if any Mod/Admin/Supermod gives me a green flag to start a thread against piracy. (no, we wont rage wars there.) , there wil be Question and Answer or just List and description type pattern to list the things that some of us do unaware of it being piracy. and how its affecting what we may sometimes grow up to be .

hope you got the point.

the pattern would be something like :

<Statement Showing someone doing piracy in some way>
<Description>
<Legal, Free ways to keep yourself out of the deep pit>
Please vote for a green flag to such a thread.
I'll make sure that the thread is well written (unlike this thingy. , I know its a mess :| ) and DOES Enlighten Legal, Free ways to do our work rather than keep pirating, still being unaware.

Last edited:

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin

If no piracy, maybe gamers get more ping because of less congestion
Copyright laws swing both ways. One protection for game devs is that the mechanics of a released game don't come under intellectual property rights. This allows zynga or gameloft to thrive on clones.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member

EULAs are not a problem. Copyright laws permit "fair use" and "non-commercial distribution" of Intellectual Property. When you are making a copy of a CD and distributing it without making money and you are not supplying CD keys to activate the game or circumventing DRM with cracks and all, then you are distributing them as "backup" copies to those who have lost their CD keys.

If EULAs prohibit you from doing that, they run afoul of IP and copyright laws and thus the conflicting segments are not legally enforceable.

One doesn't just loose their CD key(unless they are 9 yr old kids) , I use cracks on older games which keeps nagging me to insert CD to play the game (al la CoD4) , but one of the main or only uses I found of modern DRM is that I never loose my key or to be more specific games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom