Buying games is a waste of money,Why should we buy when we can download for free from the internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
Well,in the past 1 year i have bought a lot of games,many a time paying full 1k for them.I have estimated i have spent 10-15k on games only,which i now regret,i could have saved this same money and got a gaming rig.Now i have a Broadband/Wireline internet connection,and i play games without buying ;-)
I didn't have Broadband before,so i used to use internet through my mobile,Downloading a 1GB file used to take 10 days.I really feel guilty about wasting money on games which are available for free on the internet
I swear i will never buy a game again.
Only big corporations get money from us buying games,While the Publishers get richer,while we get poorer for buying software meant for time-pass,Finish and Delete.
What are your views on this?
We can use the same money for buying/upgrading our PC hardware.

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
Re: Buying games is a waste of money,Why should we buy when we can download for free from the intern

Depends on your conscience, really.

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
Re: Buying games is a waste of money,Why should we buy when we can download for free from the intern

Well while I do believe in "right to information" and Julian,Anataka and their philosophies somewhat, the business structure that the world currently employs makes us pay our money to obtain this information(game data in this case) by paying for it. I am not a huge fan of how our "system" works,but as long as it is in place, the artists don't get money if noone buys the games. Think about it. What if everyone thought the same about games and did not buy them? (I guess people look forward to that day not because they don't want the artist to not get paid,but that means a reconstruction of the business strategies and models). Anyway,if noone buys,the artists and studios don't get paid and soon,no artists are left in the field to make any more games. And suddenly game development is a dying art. That would be a shame.

As for wasting money,well think about it as spending money on something that gives you pleasure. A 6-10 hour long interactive highly enjoyable movie(thats kinda what a game is).And mental health is important.
How much money do you spend on clothes per year? We don't "need" clothes. We "want" clothes. So there's no point in wasting money behind clothes either. Same about a car,a flat,movie etc. So lets stop wasting money on these as well and lets use it to buy some other thing that we "want"? Do you see where the logic fails in this??
Lets use your example, you are going to spend money saved from games to build a pc. So that you can play the latest games(and use other softwares) in their full glory. But if there are no games(and softwares) to play,upgrading your pc is pointless. Then you will feel why upgrade your pc when we can use it for something else?? This goes on and on. Its becomes a non-progressive routine.

And as for, "why pay when we can get it for free?" logic, I once again blame the business model. But as long as we are operating under it,the reason not to do it is the same as not stealing a diamond from a store because we can.

I read this somewhere "You want bread. You can wither go the shop and pay the shopkeeper the price and take the bread, making sure that the shopkeeper and the baker both get profit and they continue to make bread. Or you can quickly grab a packet and run away when the shopkeeper took a quick rear view. Either way, you get the bread. It's your decision whether you want to support the baker so as to keep getting the bread, or grab and run until the bakery closes of loss."

OP
CommanderShawnzer

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar

I would like to add the point that we(Indians) need not buy the games,people in the West and in Rich Asian countries will buy games.So that keeps the gaming industry from going bankrupt.

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD

^ That is just plain stupid. Breaking it up on a country level basis doesn't matter. And you are stereotyping.
You think people in west and rich asian countries are saints? No they are humans. Just like you. And you think all indians are con artists? No. Don't think country wise. Think globally. Just because you are in India,don't exclude it to justify pirating games.
People over there pirate as much as we do. The moment the sales of a game crashes globally and the company goes in debt,the studio goes bankrupt.

OP
CommanderShawnzer

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar

^ That is just plain stupid. Breaking it up on a country level basis doesn't matter. And you are stereotyping.
You think people in west and rich asian countries are saints? No they are humans. Just like you. And you think all indians are con artists? No. Don't think country wise. Think globally. Just because you are in India,don't exclude it to justify pirating games.
People over there pirate as much as we do. The moment the sales of a game crashes globally and the company goes in debt,the studio goes bankrupt.

Sales from India don't matter to game Publishers

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin

there have to be sales for it to matter
gaming not clicked here yet

those big corps are getting consolidated into smaller units, maybe some of it is outsourced to local work here

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD

What the hell. If it didn't then they wouldn't have sold here. Why do you think they release games here then? Because of the goodness of their hearts? Or for blessings from our sacred land? Please.

Okay lets consider what you are saying for a moment. Indians shouldn't buy games.
Now the asian and the people in the west think "Why?". Why should they pay for something that you get for free? Because you're greater in might than them? Or are you some superhero? Don't say its because Indians are poor. We have already established the poor business structure. there is no helping it at the moment. And also, games are cheaper here than in the west. That is because our economy on a whole is on a lower level than those countries. So ultimately its a question of why one human should pay for something when another is getting that from free. Because he is born somewhere else(which he has no control over)?? That is some advanced form of racism you just invented there in some weird way.

OP
CommanderShawnzer

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar

What the hell. If it didn't then they wouldn't have sold here. Why do you think they release games here then? Because of the goodness of their hearts? Or for blessings from our sacred land? Please.

Okay lets consider what you are saying for a moment. Indians shouldn't buy games.
Now the asian and the people in the west think "Why?". Why should they pay for something that you get for free? Because you're greater in might than them? Or are you some superhero? Don't say its because Indians are poor. We have already established the poor business structure. there is no helping it at the moment. And also, games are cheaper here than in the west. That is because our economy on a whole is on a lower level than those countries. So ultimately its a question of why one human should pay for something when another is getting that from free. Because he is born somewhere else(which he has no control over)?? That is some advanced form of racism you just invented there in some weird way.

No because they have
"conscience" and "morals"
and they are Rich

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD

Who told you they have "conscience" and "morals"? There are just as many dirtbags there as there are here. And who told you no Indian has "conscience" and "morals"?

And I told you not to use the "we are poor" excuse. You are saying the same thing in a different way.
How old are you man? Are you even reading what I am typing out? Or are you just trolling?

.jRay.

Youngling
Re: Buying games is a waste of money,Why should we buy when we can download for free from internet?

Put games aside. Indians pirate antiviruses. Ive seen my own brother downloading avg, avast internet security from tpb, They just arent as willing to pay for apps and games, they'd rather buy anything else. Its indian mentality, people prefer saving money rather than spending it. Its the way we think.

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD

^ "How much money do you spend on clothes per year? We don't "need" clothes. We "want" clothes. So there's no point in wasting money behind clothes either. Same about a car,a flat,movie etc. So lets stop wasting money on these as well and lets use it to buy some other thing that we "want"? Do you see where the logic fails in this??
Lets use your example, you are going to spend money saved from games to build a pc. So that you can play the latest games(and use other softwares) in their full glory. But if there are no games(and softwares) to play,upgrading your pc is pointless. Then you will feel why upgrade your pc when we can use it for something else?? This goes on and on. Its becomes a non-progressive routine."

I said this before. Stop thinking about this as indians and cubans and chinese and korean. Think globally.

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent

will it be OK if i post a link to this thread in : *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/cafe-games/108939-dumbest-things-youve-heard-related-computers.html
:hyper:

Sarath

iDota

@OP:

Your points are quite valid, but some are stupid.

For example, your smartness is displayed in downloading a pirated copy of a torrent site and then seeding it back and helping the community at large, and then finding a virus free patch for the game which takes considerable patience, but then, you have your own broadband which is quite stupid. You can easily hack your neighbours wifi and use it for your own. If you are good enough you can also block it and use it in its entirety to yourself.

You can then even, make DVD copies of the game with the patch and sell it to your friends or rather their friends (since you can't always ask for money from friends) or maybe a bunch of school/college kids who don't have their own broadband or slow internet. This way you can make even more money. You can even buy yourself a nVidia Titan for all you know in the long run. Who knows you might drop out of school to pursue a business in piracy and then buy a mass duplicator and make many DVDs and sell locally. Soon you might see yourself faced with extreme demand and limited supply, fuelled with the low broadband penetration, FUPs or downright laziness. You can open multiple branches in the city and see your business grow. At this point it would be worth investing in greasing some palms as an "insurance". Soon you will have reached the pinnacle of your business success in your town/city making it mandatory that you open nationwide branches. Since you have had considerable experience by now, expanding would be easy. Since you never pay taxes, you will have truck loads of money. After reaching nation wide success, you might attrack a lot of gangsters who will try to extort money from you. Now would be a good idea to side with someone established and get a "premium insurance policy". A few trips to Dubai/Karachi should help.

30 years from now, you would be sipping coffee in an expensive restaurant in the Grand Hyatt, sitting beside Dawood/xyz daddy gangsta in Dubai and showing him off the latest Alienware MXX9000 and telling him, I got this coz this has absolutely no VFM, just like me. It's just that, they don't produce much AAA games these days, so I can only use this for "Angry Birds: Mars edition" and "Plant vs RoboZombies : 8"

-----------------------------------

In case I have failed to make my point, buy games, save the industry ;)

Buy games, steal bread :p

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent

just visualise once:
you are a game coder

and you see some stupid hell-fella downloading your game from the internet for free whereas it should have been bought for merely 1k ..

what will you feel like ?? :hissyfit: ??

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD

^ @sarath That was excellent.

@Mastercool8695 There is a recent game devloping game which used this stunt on people who pirated the game. :p I am forgetting the name, but in the game,those with the pirated copy saw the games they developed inside the game being pirated. Lol. gameception :p

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent

@OP:

Your points are quite valid, but some are stupid.

For example, your smartness is displayed in downloading a pirated copy of a torrent site and then seeding it back and helping the community at large, and then finding a virus free patch for the game which takes considerable patience, but then, you have your own broadband which is quite stupid. You can easily hack your neighbours wifi and use it for your own. If you are good enough you can also block it and use it in its entirety to yourself.

You can then even, make DVD copies of the game with the patch and sell it to your friends or rather their friends (since you can't always ask for money from friends) or maybe a bunch of school/college kids who don't have their own broadband or slow internet. This way you can make even more money. You can even buy yourself a nVidia Titan for all you know in the long run. Who knows you might drop out of school to pursue a business in piracy and then buy a mass duplicator and make many DVDs and sell locally. Soon you might see yourself faced with extreme demand and limited supply, fuelled with the low broadband penetration, FUPs or downright laziness. You can open multiple branches in the city and see your business grow. At this point it would be worth investing in greasing some palms as an "insurance". Soon you will have reached the pinnacle of your business success in your town/city making it mandatory that you open nationwide branches. Since you have had considerable experience by now, expanding would be easy. Since you never pay taxes, you will have truck loads of money. After reaching nation wide success, you might attrack a lot of gangsters who will try to extort money from you. Now would be a good idea to side with someone established and get a "premium insurance policy". A few trips to Dubai/Karachi should help.

30 years from now, you would be sipping coffee in an expensive restaurant in the Grand Hyatt, sitting beside Dawood/xyz daddy gangsta in Dubai and showing him off the latest Alienware MXX9000 and telling him, I got this coz this has absolutely no VFM, just like me. It's just that, they don't produce much AAA games these days, so I can only use this for "Angry Birds: Mars edition" and "Plant vs RoboZombies : 8"

-----------------------------------

In case I have failed to make my point, buy games, save the industry ;)

Buy games, steal bread :p

awesome answer..
:+1:

OP
CommanderShawnzer

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar

just visualise once:
you are a game coder

and you see some stupid hell-fella downloading your game from the internet for free whereas it should have been bought for merely 1k ..

what will you feel like ?? :hissyfit: ??

I guess all the games that you have currently are purchased by you? :hyper:
Not.

I don't care about game-coders lol.Why should I?

@Mastercool8695 There is a recent game devloping game which used this stunt on people who pirated the game. :p I am forgetting the name, but in the game,those with the pirated copy saw the games they developed inside the game being pirated. Lol. gameception :p

It was called Game Dev Tycoon.

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent

please tell me if you can remember..
i'll buy that when i get into college this year (more probably, next year.. :wah: )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom