Buying games is a waste of money,Why should we buy when we can download for free from the internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
CommanderShawnzer

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
Re: Buying games is a waste of money,Why should we buy when we can download for free from the intern

^use FireFox

what about internals ??
:D
:rofl:

so what do you propose are the uses of an External HDD? to backup .docs,pdf's,fu(kin family photos and videos :lol: Is > 1TB really required for those things ?
thats just a stupid marketing ploy :lol: to make their product seem more "legit"

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Re: Buying games is a waste of money,Why should we buy when we can download for free from the intern

Let me quote the line which I always tell in a piracy related thread.

The choice of buying or pirating is up to the user. its by choice.

Nothing can be done. as long as people don't what piracy does to a company, gaming companies will get closed.

EDIT: and kids will be kids.. they cant ask for money for game, nor for bandwidth :lol:

OP
CommanderShawnzer

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar

Let me quote the line which I always tell in a piracy related thread.

Nothing can be done. as long as people don't what piracy does to a company, gaming companies will get closed.

EDIT: and kids will be kids.. they cant ask for money for game, nor for bandwidth :lol:

who's the kid here bro?

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin

Ha its even worse, right now kickstarter and early access on steam are monetizing
- alpha access (wth)
- beta access
- secret dev access forums
- fancy forum titles
- in game items
- exclusive donor namea within game

All before the game gets made. This is for indie titles as well

And then there are expansion packs and consumables, you can never really buy out all aspects of the game, and if you do or crack it, there is very little game left over to play

Half the damn country is not properly equipped to handle legit games. How the hell am I supposed to enjoy a game with 500+ latency and 2 gigs of update every time I run a distributor client through a stupid FUP ?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!

Plus, Steam doesn't allows downloads on Proxy :-(.

At the college hostel, some friends did buy CS:GO (flipkart) but found that even the stupid steam installer required internet connection not behind a proxy (same is used by college), the only internet source at that time was college's LAN. Valve should allow downloads through the website using http or ftp links and an offline steam installer too rather than depending on UDP protocol.

RohanM

Cyborg Agent

We can Pirate the game, I'll give an example.

Lets say Battlefield 3.

You buy the game,

Advantages-
-Play with your friend.
-Can share your game stats online (show off).
-Achievements.
-Play the campaign.

Disadvantages
-You loose cash.

You pirate the game,

Advantages-
-You didn't pay for it, i.e free.

Disadvantage-
-You can only play on single player campaign.
-You cannot play Multiplayer with your friends.
-You cannot share your stats.
-Get bored in 1 day after you complete the game.

The thing is you need to buy the game to enjoy its full content.

with proper cracks & patches u can play online.. most of the games..

arijitsinha

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY?

I dont think you can play Battlefield 3 online. And till there is no work around for SimCity 2013. Lets not discuss it here.

Anyway I said goodbye to EA. No matter what/how BF4/NFS games are I am not going to give a single penny to them.

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent

I hope you arent talking about those age old strategy games that can be logged into pirated servers hosted in India and Singapore.

RohanM

Cyborg Agent

I hope you arent talking about those age old strategy games that can be logged into pirated servers hosted in India and Singapore.

I am not talking abt bf3 .. my bad... I played gta 4 online with cracks ...

Last edited:

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.

^Bro, dont mention the crack names here in TDF..edit it ASAP :-x

Digital Fragger

A Functioning God

most but not all. especially most of the new titles are deeply tied to an online account which makes it impossible to crack multiplayer. it is a good move as long as it is not annoying for the legit purchaser. those who pirate also tend to cheat in multiplayer and there'd no way to stop them.

digitaltab

In the zone

@OP: lets say you are correct, piracy is right, then according to you , theft is also correct, stealing things.. why pay money when u can steal it for free?
then why punish thiefs ? break the judicial system
and then according to your point of view, rape should also be correct, why love a girl when you can "rape" her to satisfy yourself...
why fast track courts and new laws and everything for girls..

so in overall, as per you pov, piracy is good for a gamer, and hence theft is good for thieves, and thus rape is thing done by rapists. right?

you know what, you will say i am wrong, why? cuz there are women who are in your family, and same in my family, so you know the value of their respect and we respect women , in and outside our family.
but you'll say that piracy of games is right, why? cuz there is no relative of yours who owns or runs a gaming organization... so you dont know the value of what it takes to make a game and what respect they deserve?

i've read this whole thread, and all i want to ask is a ques. to OP: How old are you man??

the first page of this thread contains some great comments after reading which, any "sincere human being" could get the point... the first page was enough and i respect the posts made on that page by those sincere people...
PERIOD.

@Shivam
your comment was a much needed full stop to this thread, but sorry for bumping it..

I buy games when i have money, and i pirate when i dont. And as a seasoned gamer, i play 3-4 new games every month, and maybe 10 games over a vacation period. Being unemployed, purchasing every game is unrealistic.

So, is it justified that i pirate games when i cannot afford it?
When i pirate, the publisher doesnt lose money actually. They lose money only when i was willing to pay, but decided not to.
Age of Empires II, during its popularity, cost Rs2599. I still remember. It was back in 2001 or something. AOE II Multiplayer tourneys were a rage in Delhi back then.
Rs 2599 is extremely expensive even a decade later. We loved the game, but no way would we spend Rs 2599 . Rs2000 was our friggin monthly pocket money.

But thanks to piracy, we could appreciate the technological prowess of the gaming industry, and praise Microsoft as a company for being such a diverse corporation and in giving quality products, a laurel which was a luxury to them thanks to their crappy Windows Me and Windows 2000. Microsoft groomed the generation for a step up in gaming, as most of the adopters were from Mario/Contra background.

I feel piracy helped the gaming industry grow. if there was no piracy, gaming would have been limited to the elite rich class and confined to developed nations like US,UK,Japan,S.Korea etc

In short--
If a rich kid pirates game, its not nice
If a poor kid living under lower-medium class society pirates game, its fine.

Thats my verdict.

digitaltab

In the zone

@Shivam
your comment was a much needed full stop to this thread, but sorry for bumping it..

I buy games when i have money, and i pirate when i dont. And as a seasoned gamer, i play 3-4 new games every month, and maybe 10 games over a vacation period. Being unemployed, purchasing every game is unrealistic.

So, is it justified that i pirate games when i cannot afford it?
When i pirate, the publisher doesnt lose money actually. They lose money only when i was willing to pay, but decided not to.
Age of Empires II, during its popularity, cost Rs2599. I still remember. It was back in 2001 or something. AOE II Multiplayer tourneys were a rage in Delhi back then.
Rs 2599 is extremely expensive even a decade later. We loved the game, but no way would we spend Rs 2599 . Rs2000 was our friggin monthly pocket money.

But thanks to piracy, we could appreciate the technological prowess of the gaming industry, and praise Microsoft as a company for being such a diverse corporation and in giving quality products, a laurel which was a luxury to them thanks to their crappy Windows Me and Windows 2000. Microsoft groomed the generation for a step up in gaming, as most of the adopters were from Mario/Contra background.

I feel piracy helped the gaming industry grow. if there was no piracy, gaming would have been limited to the elite rich class and confined to developed nations like US,UK,Japan,S.Korea etc

In short--
If a rich kid pirates game, its not nice
If a poor kid living under lower-medium class society pirates game, its fine.

Thats my verdict.

a poor kid who is a SEASONED gamer, and despite being a SEASONED gamer, he plays 3-4 new games every month....

honestly this comment is below my standards but i ask you a question, will you like it if you know that the girl you r going to marry with, has got forcibly loved by a few, actually thousands of POOR people, who weren't able to get a prostitute or girlfriend and so they cheated to this girl... and somehow made a lot of love with force on her LOL...

if u understand my question, you'll not stay poor anymore..
if u reply to it again, i'll understand how old are you....

Last edited:

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor

@OP: lets say you are correct, piracy is right, then according to you , theft is also correct, stealing things.. why pay money when u can steal it for free?
then why punish thiefs ? break the judicial system
and then according to your point of view, rape should also be correct, why love a girl when you can "rape" her to satisfy yourself...
why fast track courts and new laws and everything for girls..

so in overall, as per you pov, piracy is good for a gamer, and hence theft is good for thieves, and thus rape is thing done by rapists. right?

you know what, you will say i am wrong, why? cuz there are women who are in your family, and same in my family, so you know the value of their respect and we respect women , in and outside our family.
but you'll say that piracy of games is right, why? cuz there is no relative of yours who owns or runs a gaming organization... so you dont know the value of what it takes to make a game and what respect they deserve?

i've read this whole thread, and all i want to ask is a ques. to OP: How old are you man??

the first page of this thread contains some great comments after reading which, any "sincere human being" could get the point... the first page was enough and i respect the posts made on that page by those sincere people...
PERIOD.

Piracy is not theft. The closest it comes to is counterfeiting, which like piracy comes under copyright infringement.

The reason is that the data that you copy is your own unlicensed replica, even if identical to the original, and the developer/ distributor has not lost it's unsold boxes when you pirated it via <insert source here>.

It would be stealing if you broke into a shop or the developer's/publisher's office and took away the physical media that stores the data. Hell even if you went in and copied the data from their computers into your own media that would be piracy+breaking and entering. It would not be theft.

That does not mean I condone piracy at all. Rather, all I am doing is pointing out that stealing and piracy are not the same and should not be considered the same.

digitaltab

In the zone

Piracy is not theft. The closest it comes to is counterfeiting, which like piracy comes under copyright infringement.

The reason is that the data that you copy is your own unlicensed replica, even if identical to the original, and the developer/ distributor has not lost it's unsold boxes when you pirated it via <insert source here>.

It would be stealing if you broke into a shop or the developer's/publisher's office and took away the physical media that stores the data. Hell even if you went in and copied the data from their computers into your own media that would be piracy+breaking and entering. It would not be theft.

That does not mean I condone piracy at all. Rather, all I am doing is pointing out that stealing and piracy are not the same and should not be considered the same.

you can point out thousand more excuses in favor of piracy, gr8 job. well done..

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor

you can point out thousand more excuses in favor of piracy, gr8 job. well done..

If that was sarcasm and/or mockery, it was not appreciated :-x

If I was pointing in favour of piracy I would not have stated piracy is copyright infringement. Not once did I justify piracy in my previous post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom