Buying advice on processor,motherboard & graphics card

samratm

Right off the assembly line
I want to buy a new motherboard, processor and a graphics card. I prefer Intel Core i5 processor but have a budget of 15k for processor+motherboard, what will you suggest. And graphics card within 5k.

ssb1551

Technomancer
^^Whats the purpose of the rig??Gaming or CPU intensive tasks??
I ask 'cause 5k GPU for gaming is a real bad idea!!!so forget i5(as its for around 9-10k)..get AMD setup & a good GPU (all this as I assume your total budget is 20k as mentioned)..

Cilus

laborare est orare
Ya, a 5K GPU is not good for gaming. Assuming you have 20K for CPU + Mobo + Gfx card, here is my suggestion:-

Phenom II X4 955 @ 5.5K
GA-880GM-USB3 @ 4.75K (Supports the upcoming AM3+ Bulldozer CPU)
Sapphire HD 6870 1 GB GDDR5 @ 11.3K

Total is around 22K. If you wanna spend less then get a Athlon II X4 630 @ 4K. Don't compromise on the Graphics card as it is most improtant for gaming.

Last edited:
OP
S

samratm

Thanks all for your suggestions.

I have never used AMD and don't have idea on that but I have little soft corner towards Sandybridge processors. The CPU will be mainly be for torrent downloading, and ya, also some little amount of gaming[want to play game demos that comes out with Digit DVD's]. This will mostly be used for watching HD movies and TV Shows and should work as my media hub, as through it I will broadcast videos to my PS3 and iPad.

As my plan was to get a Core i5 processor for 10k and a motherboard for 3k and 4GB RAM for 2k and rest 5k for graphics card.
Anyways, which motherboard should I pick of I go for a Sanybridge processor?

Should I get a PSU of 400W or above?

Cilus

laborare est orare
For your purpose Intel Sandybridge based rig will be a simply overkill and you will never be benefited from it. For your requirement, even Phenom II X4 955 is a overkill. But I've suggested it for making your rig littlebit futureproof and Now tell us what resolution you use for gaming. If it is FULL HD or 1920X1080 then HD 6870 is recommended and for your need it will provide very good gaming experience for long time.

mOCHU

Broken In
Before u decide upon the PSU, what kind of a storage setup do you have? Most 6870 cards come wid recommendations to use atleast a 500W PSU. If you have a raid array with 3 or 4 harddisks, power requirements are bound to be higher.

And.. +1 for Cilus' config..

Last edited:
OP
S

samratm

@cilus

Thanks for all important information and helping me out.
But please don't mind, actually I am currently in love with Core i5 2500k and want to get it, I want my PC to be future proof and my parents are not going to upgrade my PC in next 7-8years, so don't want to waste this opportunity to get the best.

Can you please recommend a suitable motherboard to go along with it and I have 160GB hard disk[master] & 1TB[slave], so SMPS of what power should I go for. Budget limited to 15k[total].

Please don't mind as I didn't chose Phenom II X4 955

I am completely going with @cilus recommended configuration.

Now can you please recommend me a 2* 4GB RAM or 2*2GB RAM.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
But please don't mind, actually I am currently in love with Core i5 2500k and want to get it, I want my PC to be future proof and my parents are not going to upgrade my PC in next 7-8years

Can you please recommend a suitable motherboard to go along with it and I have 160GB hard disk[master] & 1TB[slave], so SMPS of what power should I go for. Budget limited to 15k[total].

Please don't mind as I didn't chose Phenom II X4 955

I am completely going with @cilus recommended configuration.

Now can you please recommend me a 2* 4GB RAM or 2*2GB RAM.

buddy Cilus config is good but u wont get that in 15k all...u have to extend the budget...

for normal gaming get a entry level card along with Core-i5 sandybridge...
but let me tell whatever config u buy..it wont be a future proof for 7~8yrs...

OP
S

samratm

I am completely went with @cilus recommended configuration and ordered it from Primeabgb ], though it completely went out of my budget but I am happy.

Now can you guys please recommend me a 2*2GB RAM for my board and which PSU[watts] should I go for.

I have a two hard disk (1TB+ 160GB) and UPS??

macho84

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi better go for 2*4gb its worth it. And as for the psu invest in long run if you dont have any high end gpu go for 600watts cm is fine if you can afford crosair or fsp . tagan. It comes arround 3.5-5k depends on the brand. cm is 3.5-3.7k depends on the seller. its worth. As you are having good gpu later even if you add one it can handle.

so total for ram and psu make sure you have around 4.5k for ram and 4k for psu max 8-9k for both. If you going down to 4gb in dual channel its will reduce 2k

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Now can you guys please recommend me a 2*2GB RAM for my board and which PSU[watts] should I go for.

Good choice of vendor u did Congrats

for RAM either go for Corsair XMS 4GB or G-Skill Ripjaws
PSU: there are many but mostly bought is Corsair VX Series or
FSP Saga :cool:

Top Bottom