Buying a new 17" LCD monitor...need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

magneto_ms

Broken In
Hi all, i am planning to buy a new 17" lcd. Just seeking an opinion from u guys what i shud be getting. I want it to be under 15k.

Which do u recommend? I work a lot on computer arts stuff, so i would want something that has reasonable color reproduction(but no crt anyway;) ) Also preferably it shud have a response time of < or = 16ms.

Aniruddh

Ambassador of Buzz
as u said u wont b going for a CRT monitor then get a SAMSUNG SyncMaster 713N,it has a response time of 8ms and it will come inside ur budget.its damn gud.

OP
M

magneto_ms

Broken In
Dude, i just checked, it has a native resolution of 1280x1024. I have never used an lcd b4 and i hear that it would look bad on non-native resolutions. Would the text, menu and stuff look clear on such a resolution(1280x1024)? Would it look crappy too if i have to run a game once in a while at say 800x600?

Now i have a Geforce 4 mx 440 64mb card. Not sure of any compatibility issues...any ideas?

G

gxsaurav

it will work fine at 1024X768, even at 800X600, it's just looks best at 1820X1024

OP
M

magneto_ms

Broken In
Hmmm....suddenly i have fallen into a sort of dilemma now.. eye strain is a serious issue 4 me. i usually set my crt monitor to near-minimum brightness when i am not working on anything graphics related. but heard some inputs now that lcds don't do well when u decrease brightness to that extent(and some even can't)

just a bit tentative now.. :oops: I wan't to make sure of this aspect too before i shell out that much money.. would i be better off going for a flat 17" flat crt instead..?

choices...choices... :roll:

vijay_7287

Cyborg Agent
well its totally down to u
there are certain contrast issues with the LCD's but most of them have sorted out

the key issue between the CRT and the LCD is desktop space

there are lot many options available for a flat CRT

there are quite a few models frm LG, Samsung and Acer

and the Flat CRT costs abt half the price of the LCD !!!

nitrous

Broken In
Samsung,man. Dont think twice

17" lcd's screen area is almost equal to the 19" CRT.So, LCD's are quite VFM compared to upsize CRTs.

OP
M

magneto_ms

Broken In
It is a great monitor the samsung, no doubt. But b4 one buys anything in this range it is safer to ponder over all aspects. Just out of curiosity, the native 1280X1024 (for the 713n) is not the traditional 4:3 ratio is it..? It is 5:4. Now won't there be distortion for the desktop wallpaper and other stuff that is meant to be viewed at 4:3?

vikramk

Broken In
Samsung Syncmaster 713 N

Hi. I currently have a LG 17" CRT and was thinking of going in for the 713 N. 8ms response time etc is all very well, but what does it mean in performance terms? Is there likely to be a substantial fall in performance in terms of ghosting, brightness etc compared to th

OP
M

magneto_ms

Broken In
Dude, from what i have learnt so far, it is best if u get a taste of it first b4 u invest. Try some of ur friends lcd if they have. Some people can't stand the flourescent backlight and it is actually more strainous to them than(believe it or not) crt at 85hz.

vikramk

Broken In
Re: Samsung Syncmaster 713 N - flickering at 1280X1024

Well, I went ahead and bought it anyway (got it for 13,300 at lamington road, for those who are interested), but have a problem. Recommended resolution is 1280X1024 at 60Hz; great sharpness and clarity, but noticeable flickering on text. Lowered the resolution to 1024X768, flickering disappeared but doesn't look so great. Is it something to do with my video card settings? If so, how do I change them? I use a 845 based motherboard with integrated graphics. Or is it something else altogether? Any help would be much appreciated.

OP
M

magneto_ms

Broken In
Re: Samsung Syncmaster 713 N - flickering at 1280X1024

vikramk said:
Well, I went ahead and bought it anyway (got it for 13,300 at lamington road, for those who are interested), but have a problem. Recommended resolution is 1280X1024 at 60Hz; great sharpness and clarity, but noticeable flickering on text. Lowered the resolution to 1024X768, flickering disappeared but doesn't look so great. Is it something to do with my video card settings? If so, how do I change them? I use a 845 based motherboard with integrated graphics. Or is it something else altogether? Any help would be much appreciated.

Oh, u bought it! Not sure the issue u are seeing is something that cannot be corrected. I have not heard anyone saying this opinion about the 713n. Can u try to increase the refresh rate at 1280X1024? (from monitor properties) Also post the model of ur graphics card.

vikramk

Broken In
Re: LCD monitor flickering problem - sorted out

Thanks magneto for the help. Managed to figure it out myself though' changed the refresh to 72 (was given a choice of only 60,70,72) and it seems to be ok at 1280X1024. Am still curious though; if there is flickering at the recommended setting, does that mean the problem is with my CPU? Re the video card model - like i said the graphics are integrated, so no separate card.

By the way, not sure about your personal brightness level preference, but the monitor was preset to 80% brightness, which I lowered to 60% and it still seems fine. I guess the best way for you to satisfy yourself about this is to ask for a demo - although I must warn you that it's not going to happen in a typical lamington road shop!!

Thanks anyway for the help.

TechGuru#1

In the zone
VIKRAMK>>Does Wall paper & themes,etc done for 4:3 ratio fit well into a 5:4 ratio screen ratio of the SS LCD 713N

& more so >> r u satisfied working in PHOTOSHOP & other 3D stuffs in this 713N LCD?

Please make the MOST GENUINE representations of the 713 facts,bcoz,same as you I didnot have any opportunity to c the 713N performancepersonally till date.......& MOST probably I WOULD BUYING BLIND the above said LCD Monitor,which I am pllaning 2 buy!

So Dear Bro Vikram,please HELP ASAP!

vikramk

Broken In
TechGuru: sorry unable to help

Hi,

Sorry, have never used Photoshop in my life and use the Windows default settings for wallpaper and theme. That doesn't look distorted in the 5:4 screen, but am not sure whether other wallpapers and themes would be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom