Buying a new 17" LCD monitor...need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechGuru#1

In the zone
Please do check that!

Please please do that......for a 4:3 aspect to fit into 5:4 aspect ratio.......how distorted the pic-wallpapers appear?

& whatever....do also some PHOTOSHOP work.........& give feedback!

OP
M

magneto_ms

Broken In
Sorry, i was busy with exams for a couple of weeks. Now more than ever i am close to buying the 713n..:)

@vikram:

1.please check the distortion issue a bit more crtitically.
2. Please check whether it is posssible to adjust the brightness and contrast so that it reaches near black stage.
3. Are u satisfied with the overall performance of the monitor?
4. Any eyestrain issue due to the backlight u are feeling..? Are u able to sit at the desk for long hours without problems..?
5. Like techguru said. would it be possible for u to get any image editing application and perhaps see how it goes? (Just adjust the image contrast or brightness(in say Photoshop) and see if u are able to get decent output?)

Yoda

Journeyman
Hello Friends,
I'm planning to buy a 17 inch TFT LCD Monitor. Presently I have 15 inch samsung Monitor.

My Budget for TFT = Rs.20,000.

Before deciding one there are a few factors that I should consider like "Response Time", "Viewing Angle" "color gradation" etc.....

I heard that the Cut-Off for a gaming display is a response time of "12 ms". Is that true?

Use: Home use + DVD movies + games (like FIFA 06, Doom 3, Quake 4)

Requirements....

16:9 or 16:10 Aspect Ratio (I think 17 inch will do...)

inputs like composite and component video connections, DVI, D-SUB, S-Video, RGB (Is there a model with all these inputs.....)

Audio inputs like standard 3.5 mm steroe and RC.

Response time should be 12 ms (lesser the Response Time("ms") is better)

Extended viewing Angle...more the viewing angle is better....Is it possible to view the display correctly from a side or diagonal angle....

Good Color Gradation

I have a few models in my mind....

ASUS PM17TU (17 inch) Price ??? (This one is really good) (my first choice)

LG Flatron L1730S (17 inch) Rs.15,000

BenQ FP71E+ (17 inch) Rs.14,900

Acer AL714sm (17 inch) Rs.15,000

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
instead of starting a new thread iam going ahead with his one only...
iam planning to buy a LCD monitor too... ( 17"/19" )

so i want a monitor with crisp display,i'll be playing games too,nd i'll be watching movies nd all...
tell me the choices i have...

**hear frm sumone that samsung 713n is very poor if u intend to watch movies,specially those with dark night scenes...

also shud i order the decided monitor over the phone or visit the dealer and have a look at it to check for dead pixels...nd also how to check for them,and how many are expected ??

hariharan

Journeyman
I have a plan of getting a mobo with the VGA options Dual VGA options, DVI-D, and RGB. Can the TFT Monitor in the case of samsung syncmaster 713N which has a 15pin D-Sub connector be connected to this mobo? If not what other component would be required to make the connection feasible?

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
I have a Viewsonic VP720b 17" LCD with 4 ms response time and DVI. It's meant for graphics professionals and has full 8-bit colour rather than 6-bit like other LCD's. Zero dead pixels and the price is Rs. 14,000.

The GodFather

Right off the assembly line
drvarunmehta said:
I have a Viewsonic VP720b 17" LCD with 4 ms response time and DVI. It's meant for graphics professionals and has full 8-bit colour rather than 6-bit like other LCD's. Zero dead pixels and the price is Rs. 14,000.
8 bit and 6 Bit Colour ????????? LOL

I thought we had 16 bit and 32 bit colours. Is that a typo or you really mean it?

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
I really mean it. Refer here for more info

*compreviews.about.com/od/multimedia/a/LCDColor.htm
*www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2289&p=3
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_depth

The GodFather

Right off the assembly line
Thanks for the Info Dude.

I finally bought the LG 17" Flatron 1730S LCD Monitor. I've put up a sorta mini review on my blog: *darshanjog.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom