Buying A Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

er.darshan

Broken In
Hi all techies
I am buying a Laptop. please help me in taking decision.I plan to use the laptop for work and games. Work: presentations, documents, Web designing the usual college stuff. Rest: movies, games [the high end kind i guess]. Also..i would like it to have some looks .My limit is 70k how is Dell Inspiron 6000 & its after sales support, i heard that it is a big problem with Dell as it doesnt have any vendor & service centre here in India. Another model is Acer TravelMate 4002. how the Acer laptops are in build quality, after sale support & quality.
I would appreciate all the help here.
Thanx in advance !!!!
Darshan

a_medico

Chillum Baba
70k budget !!

umm... lets see...

If u get it from US, u might get Sony Vaio in that price (mayb around 75-80k) ..chk out compusa.com ..but u shud have some friends who are coming to india from US..

if not :-

Dell - nice finishing..great performance.
IBM- good in every aspect, only negative is looks
TOSHIBA- not much idea.

all three come close 2nd....

rest all brands are more or less same..

ps - heard very bad reports abt HP and compaq

ps2 - no mater which brand, go for CENTRINO vonly...p4s are outdated now they say.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Why dont you try ibm there quality is still good and the t42 series is realy good. If i had the money i would definetly go for one.

sumitava_b

In the zone
But the problem with IBM is that if u r looking for good connectivity, lot of space and a hi-end graphix card (as Darshan wants to play latest games) the price of a IBM model will soar high......IBM thonkpad (I forgot the exact model name, but it was full of features what is needed) will cost u around 1L or 1.25L......too high for Indian users...

Why not Acer? refer Digit April 05....Acer travelmate became the best buy...it's got plenty of features.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
obviously quality does not come cheap. Check out the build quality and the package nothing comes close to IBM stuff. Anyway the final choice is with the buyer.

rohanbee

Padawan
Planning for a laptop too..........but dell for me all the way. Used it from a long time no problems with service. Now intend to get one from the us, much cheaper and for the same amount can get loads of other things.
Unfortunate that we can't get those sorts of deals in india though ?

realmmahesh

Broken In
bought sony vaio

hi

i just bought a notebook from UK. its SONY VAIO FS115Z. hmm... its great with performance. it is centrino based 1.73GHz, 512mb ram 100gb HDD, 15.4'' widescreen (visual length greater than a flat 17'' not little smaller in height), it has dual layer DVD writer & a woophing 128mb geforce go 6200 buit-in, integrated wlan.. .. this pc has got super power.
check it out. costed me 1280 pounds(incl vat)

also check this presario model with 16'' screen and 80 gb with same config available worldwide. forgot the model no.

---
mahesh
bangalore

OP
E

er.darshan

Broken In
Thank you to all...
:lol:
if after sale support is good with DELL, i will go for DELL only bcoz i have bitter exp with HP COMPAQ & IBM just ddont have the looks& style

rohanbee

Padawan
sumitava_b said:
Rohan, Which Dell model u r thinking of and how much US price u r paying?

Thinking of the inspiron 9300 a very high end dell model only second in comparison to the dell xps and around 1900$ with some customisation like a more ram, high end 6800 graphics card some more hard disc space etc etc

er.darshan said:
Thank you to all...
Laughing
if after sale support is good with DELL, i will go for DELL only bcoz i have bitter exp with HP COMPAQ & IBM just ddont have the looks& style

Well is asthetics/looks are your priority then sorry to say dell does not have much. Sony on the other hand is good money for looks and some amazing features like memory stick and other such goodies.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
I would recommend the Dell 9300 if you plan to get it from the US. You can get a good configuration for around $1600 which will also let you play games. I have the 9100 which was replaced by the 9300. So I know the 9xxx series is good :D

sumitava_b

In the zone
Till now, I dont have any known person living in US....So buying laptop from US is not my cup of tea, I think. :cry:

What would be the Indian price of a Dell 9300/6000 model?

As I am a gamer too, I am searching for a laptop with 6600 card. Is there any?

rohanbee

Padawan
Over a 1.0 lac i think with the nvidia go 6800 card ....................anyways i have sent a request to dell india with my required specs, let see what price they would come up with.

a_medico

Chillum Baba
er.darshan said:
I have asked for Inspiron 6000, p4 1.6 centrine,ATi X300 with64, 512,80GB,DVD burner & 533 FSB for RS 80535/-

umm..how cud it be p4 when its centrino 1.6? good combination anyway...enjoy and congrats

sumitava_b

In the zone
er.darshan said:
I have asked for Inspiron 6000, p4 1.6 centrine,ATi X300 with64, 512,80GB,DVD burner & 533 FSB for RS 80535/-

Is this price including VAT?

What r the pros and cons if I get a laptop from a US/UK online store?

devilhead_satish

In the zone
Dell will give you a GeForce Go. Everybody else has an onboard solution. Not very wise. Dell has good support mind you. They'll respond very quickly and send an engineer if needed from Bangalore. IBM's are also good.

abhi_shake

Broken In
that's a good config. Dell's after sales support is the best. I have a dell dektop and whenever i ask them something they are really cooperative.......... enjoy ur laptop!!!!!!!!!!!

rohanbee

Padawan
er.darshan said:

Is that with or without taxes?? I still dont have any info from dell india about my config. Talk about online being quick. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom