Businesses Consider Skipping Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
and thats not microsoft's fault ?

No. To provide more performance, efficiency & stability with multi Core CPU, Multi GPU, demanding GPGPU & gaming quality Microsoft had to develop a new graphics engine for Windows known as DirectX 10. Even DirectX 9c isn't fully compatible with DX 10 cos DX 10 is made from scratch to scale from today to the hardware of tomorrow. I am sorry to say but DirectX 5 is so old that supporting it is more costly then developing something new. It doesn't make proper business sense.

Hey, why is the world going towards HD Videos? Soon all TV will be HD only, then what will happen to your 20 years old Onida TV? Do one thing, start cribbing on all networks for going HD cos due to them your 20 years old Onida is is rendered useless & now U will need to buy a new HD Compatible TV.

we know that MVPs are good at shitting.

We all know all Linboys are good at Fudding.

Business are skipping Vista, but they are staying with Windows only :p

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
business's skipping Vi$ta means One majority share goes to Linux along with your own winblows XP,mera PITA boy!
that is the mis-understanding u have ;) u missed the second para of the first post and also u need to refer the dictionary to understand the meaning of the word skip.

Hey, why is the world going towards HD Videos? Soon all TV will be HD only, then what will happen to your 20 years old Onida TV? Do one thing, start cribbing on all networks for going HD cos due to them your 20 years old Onida is is rendered useless & now U will need to buy a new HD Compatible TV.
don't you understand any point ?

I can play a 100x50 video even on a 100000000p TV.
OS compatibility is different from software compatibility.
Nobody asks for Visual Studio 2008 to be usable on Windows 98.
Its SOFTWARE that needs to be run on an OS.

Using your lines of arguement, let me say this:

1. A future generation 2160p TV will still be able to play 480p content
2. Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2008 can still run Red Hat 1998 apps
3. A 30 year old body builder will still be able to lift 1 pound baby weights
4. OpenOffice 2.4 can still open OpenOffice 1.1 formats

In simple words, backward compatibility is maintained in nearly every feild. But your windows is an exeption. Thats why its not good for guys like me who preserve their products, or for companies who need to handle critical data. Ever wondered what risks a company might undergo if it depends on an OS like Windows, where the doccuments the company created once will not be accessable 10 years later ? Thats worse than even paper, when electronic storage was MADE to combat wearing off of paper.

@praka123: dude, atleast word your sentences properly.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
don't you understand any point ?

U R not getting my point either, I know backward compatibility is required but to give more features, stability & performance Microsoft had to re-write DirectX 10 from scratch due to which DirectX 5 games do not work.

Now, it could be that you don't want more features, stability & performance & still want to play that 10 years old game, but other people which make majority of Windows users, do want it so backward compatibility was skipped.

One very good example, Can You run a Yamaha R15 on 1920's crude petrol?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
hey metal, seems like skipping the posts that solve your problem :lol: compatibility was an issue initially for Vista, now it's not, Virtualization makes for a solution for those who want 98 specific applications.

Real life example, my company had supplied IOCL a system that works on 98, this was way back around 8 years ago, last week they asked for a upgrade as they were upgrading their systems & our RnD too needed 98, I gave them all Microsoft VPC, no hassles of 98, ease of Vista & XP, still funtionality of 98. Another thing which I must highlight is that Vista's so called high system resource requirement of 1GB which is a standard today but still people want to crib about, makes for a great system when it comes to virtualization.

praka123

left this forum longback
M$ is slowly dieing.say it "RIP"

nowhere in businesse's I have seen winblows Vi$ta used :lol:
instead I saw networks completely moving to Linux(Redhat/fedora esp),hospitals in my town who deploys Linux,
Institutions where the change is rapid;be it a college or a school or a computer institute- who almost completely moving out of XP to Linux,ppl playing with Ubuntu, made separate hall(smaller) for M$haft certifications :lol: than what it used to be(esp saying about one famous computer centre in Kochin)
well boys,there are lot of changes happening!.I know this nagging 39year old admin who refuses to believe the changes.I believe few forum members too are the same like.relying on a dead horse(microw-soft) :rolleyes:

axxo

99.9% Idle
Atleast in the business arena i see no reason for corporates to upgrade their current system to vista which offers no real upgrade advantage than the present alternates....

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Re: M$ is slowly dieing.say it "RIP"

nowhere in businesse's I have seen winblows Vi$ta used :lol:

Really??? Well, tehn from where I see, nowhere in Business I have seen Linux being used. It's either Windows XP or 2000 & some new business using Vista Enterprise.
instead I saw networks completely moving to Linux(Redhat/fedora esp),hospitals in my town who deploys Linux,

hospitals here use Windows XP, 2000, 2003.....no where I have seen Linux being used.

Institutions where the change is rapid;be it a college or a school or a computer institute- who almost completely moving out of XP to Linux,ppl playing with Ubuntu, made separate hall(smaller) for M$haft certifications :lol: than what it used to be(esp saying about one famous computer centre in Kochin)

So, since it is being used there, it means according to u, as this is the case everywhere? Strange, I see the exact opposite here.

Atleast in the business arena i see no reason for corporates to upgrade their current system to vista which offers no real upgrade advantage than the present alternates....

Corporates do not upgrade there OS or computer just like that. Usually they need to run 1 or 2 particular applications only whole day & for that there existing system suffice.

praka123

left this forum longback
well,In kerala,it is times changing for the better(FOSS!).the reason is that even government pushes FOSS!thanks!

yes,I saw Vi$ta in my friend's laptop,used it for sometime and I must say-such a crappy slow OS! :evil: .anyways he already forgot about vista after he formatted and dual booting sidux and winblows xp. sorry to burst the bubble :lol:

sourav123

Thinking Different
Re: M$ is slowly dieing.say it "RIP"

Really??? Well, tehn from where I see, nowhere in Business I have seen Linux being used. It's either Windows XP or 2000 & some new business using Vista Enterprise.

You are cordially invited to visit my office in Bangalore. All our systems are running Linux/Solaris for ages. By the way, it is not a small startup who cannot afford to pay for Windows. I work in a VLSI/Semiconductor company which ranks in the Fortune 500 and one of the top three in VLSI field.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
@sourav: is your office using UNIX is indicative of the world? Also VLSI & trnoics applications on UNXI are pretty good, but in no way is indicative of the world :)

sourav123

Thinking Different
@sourav: is your office using UNIX is indicative of the world? Also VLSI & trnoics applications on UNXI are pretty good, but in no way is indicative of the world :)

I never said so. I always wanted to say that there are big, big corporations supporting Linux and it is not just a fancy OS used by some nerds as somebody here was trying to portray. Now different industries have different needs and uses. As for VLSI, Linux/UNIX is used because it is highly stable and 95% of all CAD/EDA tools run only on Linux/UNIX.

I guess Stevie Balmer is not much keen on bribing CAD/EDA vendors. :)

vaithy

In the zone
Even Wipro which is a ardent loyalist to M$ and push their vista infected Pcs as well as Laptop to consumers is no more using Vista in their various BPO projects..they are the first to switch to Vista in their various projects.. when the employees complained, and subsequently producitivity dropped, after making review, many of their projects now come back to Win xp systems...But it doesn't stop them to dumping unwanted 'Vista' junks to corporates houses particularly,ignorant PSU clients...
So selling Vista is a 'business model' where as using Xp on their own is 'working model' in India now..

hey metal, seems like skipping the posts that solve your problem :lol: compatibility was an issue initially for Vista, now it's not, Virtualization makes for a solution for those who want 98 specific applications.

Real life example, my company had supplied IOCL a system that works on 98, this was way back around 8 years ago, last week they asked for a upgrade as they were upgrading their systems & our RnD too needed 98, I gave them all Microsoft VPC, no hassles of 98, ease of Vista & XP, still funtionality of 98. Another thing which I must highlight is that Vista's so called high system resource requirement of 1GB which is a standard today but still people want to crib about, makes for a great system when it comes to virtualization.
if virtualisation is what you call the solution, then there is still one small problem:

I don't get a windows 95, 98 or 2000 licence free with windows vista

so how the hell am I supposed to install it ?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
if virtualisation is what you call the solution, then there is still one small problem:

so how the hell am I supposed to install it ?

It would have been so good if instead of looking or free software or pirating software, u would have actually purchased software.

Since you bought Motocross madness in 1998, this means U must be having Windows 98 at that time, & it's license. Today if you install Vista then you can run the same Windows 98 & License on a Virtual Machine without any problem.

Sorry but Microsoft can't help u if u r pirating stuff boy.

Go to Microsoft Download Center & you can easily get Virtual PC Image of Windows 98. Run your game in that.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

so you are trying to tell me that 10 years ago you bought a game to play today :lol: you on weed or something?

It would have been so good if instead of looking or free software or pirating software, u would have actually purchased software.

Since you bought Motocross madness in 1998, this means U must be having Windows 98 at that time, & it's license. Today if you install Vista then you can run the same Windows 98 & License on a Virtual Machine without any problem.

Sorry but Microsoft can't help u if u r pirating stuff boy.

Go to Microsoft Download Center & you can easily get Virtual PC Image of Windows 98. Run your game in that.

so you are trying to tell me that 10 years ago you bought a game to play today :lol: you on weed or something?

I bought the game in 2004.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
So? Use the same OS license you used on the OS you had in 2004 and play the game in Microsoft Virtual PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom