Businesses Consider Skipping Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Wasn't it E.C. which said to MS to release different low cost versions for different markets. A version without WMP, A version without security, & it is still the fault of MS?
The issue is not about versions indicated by E.U. Its about Home, Business, HP etc. etc.

Now, why is he repeating Motocross Madness for the nth time? What we (and perhaps you also) know is that nobody is using that old game. People have migrated to MotoGP etc & now they are running crysis or whatever.
Agree. Can't expect a 10 year old game to run on the latest OS.

BTW motocross madness and motogp are completely two different genres! :D

Just read what manan wrote, he explained it better then I could.
Classic example by iMav! :)

Most of the people who use Windows cos they are comfortable & they know it will work the best with there hardware & work.
Agree again. People haf become too dependent on Windows.

Even if you say 'Linux is Great' 100 times, that does not change the reality.
Everyone has a different perspective :)

Seriously, geeks use Linux,
Err.. plz do not generalize things. I use Linux, so am I a geek? Hey but I use windows too... so now.. what am I? An idiot geek?! :))

...but how many geeks in overall geek percentage Use Linux????
Made no sense to me. Care to explain what you've written.

When there is a flaw or drawback in Linux people patiently wait for an update or fix, but why not in case of MS?
Updates are almost instant in case of OSS.

I hope u remember I was running Vista on a 4 years old computer till March 1
Frankly, I find Vista to be the most resource hungry OS ever. It crawls on an AMD Turion 64x2 1.8G, 2GB RAM, nVidia 7050 UMA. It also crawls on Pentium Dual Core 2160, 2GB DDR2 667, nVidia 7600GS (this is SP1).

Vista needs more time to mature...

But I do not know what is OSS/Linux/Pidgin/Red Hat doing in this thread!!!!

do the same what you did with the clothes you bought when you were 10 ;)

Really??? Let me know if U can run Pidgin "indeed" on red hat 1998.

MS gave u free updates for the lifetime of the OS & game. They are not developing the OS & software in there free time like students & other part time programmer do for 80% of Linux. They deserve to be paid......

Do tell me, if u r able to run amarok, vlc etc on Red hat 1998....

U explained it better then I could :D

Dude, learn to pay for developers for they deserve. Linux people want everything for free, forever....Go make your own hardware then
ReHat 1998 is old...
but Ubuntu Hardy is NOT.

and I can run OpenOffice 0.1 beta on ubuntu hardy, and THATS old.
I run wget designed in 1994 in ubuntu hardy
etc etc

I am talking about a program that Windows Vista can't run, and you are talking about an old OS.

Did I ever complain that Visual Studio 2008 does not run on Windows 98 ?

I was ripped off by those b@stards from redmond when they promised in their advertisements that this game will run in all versions of windows from Windows 95. MS promised that any version of windows can do everything a previous version could. But now that promise is not kept.

^ can you sue M$ for this??? :p
unfortunately, no.
I was a n00b at the time of procuring motocross madness.

but the point is this: MS does not maintain 100% compatibility for products designed for previous versions of their OS, which is not a hard thing to do concidering all good operating systems have this feature.

who cares if its 10 years old ? It was a software made by them, and its their responsibility to maintain compatibility for previous products. And then take a look at MS Office. Its slowly breaking away compatibility for older formats of their office suite generated files. Nothing here is justified.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Hmm... You are right. To hell with Microsoft supporting new technology, we should still stick to Windows 98.

Gautam, I have tried running Open Office betas in Latest Linux OS. Please go ahead & try it. If it runs without installing 100 of old version of runtimes, then let me know & post a screen shot here.

Hmm... You are right. To hell with Microsoft supporting new technology, we should still stick to Windows 98.

Gautam, I have tried running Open Office betas in Latest Linux OS. Please go ahead & try it. If it runs without installing 100 of old version of runtimes, then let me know & post a screen shot here.
There is nothing wrong with allowing users to atleast download a windows 98 compatibility layer. You can do it in linux, and there is no reason why it can't be facilitated by microsoft. Just a bunch of dlls and libraries ripped off and packaged together and hacked up from the Windows 98 CD. Thats all MS needs to do to enable running older software.

Hell, they could have made a patch for the game and offered it in their website and instructed users to download it and install it to enable running Motocross Madness in Windows XP/Vista.

Getting something new does not mean ditching the old.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
but the point is this: MS does not maintain 100% compatibility for products designed for previous versions of their OS, which is not a hard thing to do concidering all good operating systems have this feature.
No.
who cares if its 10 years old ? It was a software made by them, and its their responsibility to maintain compatibility for previous products. And then take a look at MS Office. Its slowly breaking away compatibility for older formats of their office suite generated files. Nothing here is justified.
No. It is not their responsibility. Attempting to make sure backward compatibility is highly risky, doing so is highly detrimental to new developments, because you are restricting yourself to limitations posed by the previous editions of softwares.

VS 2008 not working in 98, dude if you wanna make sh!t comments, trust me I can go lower than you. Keep the discussion rational :)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
There is nothing wrong with allowing users to atleast download a windows 98 compatibility layer.

Right click on the exe -> compatibility tab- > Run in Windows 98 compatibility mode.

Just a bunch of dlls and libraries ripped off and packaged together and hacked up from the Windows 98 CD. Thats all MS needs to do to enable running older software.

Motocross madness was never made for the WDDM graphics driver layer of Windows Vista. It needs DirectX 5 emulation which is not possible using DirectX 10 as it is completely written from scratch.
Hell, they could have made a patch for the game and offered it in their website and instructed users to download it and install it to enable running Motocross Madness in Windows XP/Vista.

They do not support age old application as no one uses it. Sorry.

Right click on the exe -> compatibility tab- > Run in Windows 98 compatibility mode.
does not work for this game.
Motocross madness was never made for the WDDM graphics driver layer of Windows Vista. It needs DirectX 5 emulation which is not possible using DirectX 10 as it is completely written from scratch.
and thats not microsoft's fault ?
They do not support age old application as no one uses it. Sorry.
nobody uses it ? Who am I ? A Martian ?
And I thought MS had the best customer care for their dear customers who paid for a product of theirs...

sourav123

Thinking Different
... dude if you wanna make sh!t comments, trust me I can go lower than you.

Yes, we know that MVPs are good at shitting. Thanks for telling us, the less fortunate ones, again. :)

Now to think of it, somebody said MS has the best customer care. ROFL...:p

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Yes, we know that MVPs are good at shitting. Thanks for telling us, the less fortunate ones, again. :)
1. I am not a MVP, not affiliated with MS in anyway other than a user of their products :)

2. MS MVPs are not customer care executives, do not dis-respect any1 like that :)

3. MS certainly has a great Customer service.

the response to ur questions in my previous reply ;)
Games are not like clothes
Games are for EVER.
I still play Doom and Aladdin.
@MetalheadGautham
I think you should let the old game die in Peace, Play crisis is you want :p
My wallet can never rest in peace if MS cheated it like that
Now to think of it, somebody said MS has the best customer care. ROFL...:p
I already mentioned that

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Games are not like clothes
Games are for EVER.
I still play Doom and Aladdin.
if that is the case install 98 in Microsoft Virtual PC, free from MS and play it :) MS has the best solution for you too :)
My wallet can never rest in peace if MS cheated it like that
I don't think you are cheated, install Windows 98 in Microsoft Virtual PC (whcih is free) and play all you like. Microsoft VPC has other benefits too, want me to list them?

praka123

left this forum longback
hey boys!M$ must be a sure flop less than a decade with their current series of operating systems.we all know vi$ta is the biggest flop in current time.
well,their web presence is via nobody-else-winboys use m$n en all,what they know is to "Embrace, extend and extinguish" philosophy.

M$ is like a monarch.they are bribing US gov and all gov esp in 3rd world countries to force their monopoly.esp we know about NASSCOM idiots esp corpnts like infosys en all supporting M$haft for OOXML in India.

Yes ppl.we in our right mind CANNOT support such a monopoly.what if it will take some time to completely shift to Free,Open Source Software like Linux ?that gives freedom,less bugs-faster fix etc.

grow ppl!A humble plea from all FOSS supporters.see,even I upto 1998,thought windows is everything!slowly I understood their monopoly.I still remember the issue of M$ winblow$ bundling Internet exploder to kill then famous netscape browser.
think rationally.dont go with the likes of fanboys(who are too immature) who think M$ and apple are godlings :twisted:

Jai Swatantra Software,Jai Democracy!

You are Welcome :)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
:lol: i was wondering where is our inhouse spammer, oh sorry that crown has taken from you by NewsBytes :lol: i want more links, please give me more links that show MS is bad. please, please.

FYI, uncle drm, Businesses are skipping Vista does not mean they switching to FOSS, so please stay on topic or don't post crap the thread with your useless links :)

praka123

left this forum longback
^yeah,I am ontopic,FUDing spammer :lol:
and YES!business's skipping Vi$ta means One majority share goes to Linux along with your own winblows XP,mera PITA boy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom