Burned DVDs have rings in them-need help

quicky008

Technomancer
I have been using a LG DVD burner on my pc for the past few years.Earlier it worked just fine but nowadays,whenever i use it for burning DVDs,weird shapes that look like concentric circles invariably appear on the reflective surface of the discs after the completion of the burning process.Sometimes when i burn 2 or 3 discs consecutively,burn rings appear on all of them at exactly the same position every time.I normally burn all my DVDs at 8X using Ashampoo burning studio and i didn't face such issues earlier when my drive was still quite new.However,it should be noted that despite containing these strange circular patterns,the discs are perfectly usable-i didn't get any read errors while copying data from them to my HDD.I use Sony's 16X DVD-Rs for backing up my data as they are generally considered reliable.Can anyone suggest why this is happening?Does it indicate that the drive has become faulty?

Last edited:

Sujeet

Undead!!!
In Case:
The disc you have burnt are reading perfectly ony your drive and on other systems
and
The rings you are talking about are dark dark are on the inner side of disc
then:
It is normal. You are simply noticing it now.

Everytime you(or anyone) burns data to a disc(cd/dvd) only a fixed tracks and sectors are utilized for writing data which gets changed(physically) and this causes appearance change of surface.
I dont know why did u find this as a problem cuz till date every dvd/cd i have burnt has these traits.
Maybe earlier you would be burning the complete space on disk due to which all changes occured upto the end of disc and you werent able to notice it but when you started burning discs partially the tracks gets burnt(written) upto to a fixed visible boundary.
IT AINT A PROBLEM!
Otherwise:
Wait for someone to Help.

Last edited:
OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
@Tkin:I don't have a camera with me right now,but i'll try to upload some pics later,if possible.

@Sujeet:I found it rather difficult to grasp what u were trying to suggest.I'm aware that a dark circular section(that resembles a ring)is present on the innermost portion of all burned dvds(i.e. towards the center) and that it is perfectly normal-this is not what i was talking about.Most of the DVDs that i have burned with my writer recently have concentric rings in them and they often vary in hue and shade i.e. some of them are noticeably darker than the others and these rings appear only in those areas where data has been written(the areas that haven't been used up for burning remain unaffected).I've heard that these ring like shapes may be generated when the burner changes its speed automatically while burning a blank media-is it normal for a DVD-RW drive to behave like this?I've burned a couple of hundred dvds with it before and had no problems with them whatsoever.Why is this problem occurring now?

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!
If its a hollow ring(i.e a band) its abnormal, but if its a filled circle then its ok, a pic would really help, even with a crappy camera, just need to see the pattern.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Are you talking about these??

*i.imgur.com/1YFDd.jpg

*i.imgur.com/sDfHn.jpg

*i.imgur.com/3ns2R.jpg

Well in that case it's time to change the burner.

Same happened to me on Dec and I got it replaced last month.

Better avoid LG Burner. Nowadays they are no more good.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
@tkin:Thanks for your feedback,i will try to upload some pics of the affected DVDs tomorrow.

@Krishnendu:The DVDs that i have don't really look like the ones in the photograph-in your case,there are just too many of those rings which are clearly visible and so its pretty obvious that your burner was acting up.The rings I've observed in my DVDs were only visible when their reflective surfaces were examined closely and there are only about 2/3 of them in a single disc.Therefore i find it hard to understand what could have caused the formation of these rings-does the fault lie with the discs or the burner itself?If i decide to change my writer,which one should i go for?Can DVD burners from Asus and HP be considered reliable?

Last edited:

Neuron

Electronic.
@quicky008:Are they scratches?Can you feel these rings if you rub your fingers against them?
Also can you successfully read from these dvds?

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
@quicky008:Are they scratches?Can you feel these rings if you rub your fingers against them?
Also can you successfully read from these dvds?

These aren't scratches-they can only be seen,not felt.
I didn't face any problems while copying data from these discs to my HDD.

@Tkin:And how about hp?

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
@Krishnendu Sarkar:My apologies,the link that i posted earlier was invalid.To view this image,plz check the updated link now.

I don't see anything abnormal in the pics.Your drive is totally alright.

Are u sure my drive isn't acting up?Then why have these circular bands started appearing in most of my newly burned DVDs?

as i was saying its normal.!

Have u experienced similar issues with your optical drive?Why do u think its normal?Did u notice the circular bands that are present in both of the DVDs-is it normal for burned discs to have such unusual patterns on them?

Change the drive asap. Its done for. There should be a hollow band, not co-centric circles like that, never seen a pattern like that.

Thanks for your advice but i am totally perplexed about this situation because certain members of this forum have suggested that it is perfectly normal,as you may have noticed already.Please note that so far,i have faced no issues at all while copying data from these DVDs(including the ones in the pics)to my HDD.If the DVDs in question hadn't been burned properly,i think my drive would have given me a disc read error while copying data from each of them.What exactly are these hollow bands that you've referred to?Can u post a few pics to show us what they look like?Thanks.

I am using a molex to SATA power converter to power my DVD burner-can that somehow cause the drive to malfunction?

Last edited:

Neuron

Electronic.
Change the drive asap. Its done for. There should be a hollow band, not co-centric circles like that, never seen a pattern like that.

Hmm,I'm not sure about what you said.Won't it be better to keep the drive for now since the written files are being read properly?Those circles looks to me as if the circles that usually appear when you burn files on to them but yes they look a bit shifted away from where they should actually start.

Are u sure my drive isn't acting up?Then why have these circular bands started appearing in most of my newly burned DVDs?

Were those pics you posted of DVD-Rs in which the files were burned as a new session or were they completely blank before burning them?Now to make sure your files are being written properly make a .rar or .zip file of about 4GB size(to almost perfectly fill a DVD) and burn it to a new disc.Now try extracting it to the HDD.If there are no checksum errors your DVD is fine,atleast for now.

Top Bottom