Burned DVDs have rings in them-need help

tkin

Back to school!!
@Krishnendu Sarkar:My apologies,the link that i posted earlier was invalid.To view this image,plz check the updated link now.

Are u sure my drive isn't acting up?Then why have these circular bands started appearing in most of my newly burned DVDs?

Have u experienced similar issues with your optical drive?Why do u think its normal?Did u notice the circular bands that are present in both of the DVDs-is it normal for burned discs to have such unusual patterns on them?

Thanks for your advice but i am totally perplexed about this situation because certain members of this forum have suggested that it is perfectly normal,as you may have noticed already.Please note that so far,i have faced no issues at all while copying data from these DVDs(including the ones in the pics)to my HDD.If the DVDs in question hadn't been burned properly,i think my drive would have given me a disc read error while copying data from each of them.What exactly are these hollow bands that you've referred to?Can u post a few pics to show us what they look like?Thanks.

I am using a molex to SATA power converter to power my DVD burner-can that somehow cause the drive to malfunction?
If you are writing a single session disc this should be the pattern, all my discs have this exact pattern, the lighter band means the drive can't sustain the speed, its gonna fail soon enough, try writing an ISO file(4GB) to it using nero express and check Verify data, see if it passes.

*i.imgur.com/OZrgR.jpg

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
@Neuron:I burn all my dvds in a single session,i seldom create multi-session discs to avoid compatibility issues with other optical drives.I have recently burned a 4 GB video file to a sony DVD-R;although these ring like structures were also present in it ,i could copy the file to my HDD in one go and got a read speed of around 7 MB/s constantly.

@Tkin:You are probably right,although the drive looks okay now,its quite possible that it will start malfunctioning in the foreseeable future and so i have decided to go for a ASUS dvd burner shortly.Will ASUS be better than HP?Whats the make and model of your burner?

I'd be grateful if someone could answer this question of mine:Can using a molex to SATA power converter to power a SATA optical drive or HDD cause the drive to malfunction?

tkin

Back to school!!
@Neuron:I burn all my dvds in a single session,i seldom create multi-session discs to avoid compatibility issues with other optical drives.I have recently burned a 4 GB video file to a sony DVD-R;although these ring like structures were also present in it ,i could copy the file to my HDD in one go and got a read speed of around 7 MB/s constantly.

@Tkin:You are probably right,although the drive looks okay now,its quite possible that it will start malfunctioning in the foreseeable future and so i have decided to go for a ASUS dvd burner shortly.Will ASUS be better than HP?Whats the make and model of your burner?

I'd be grateful if someone could answer this question of mine:Can using a molex to SATA power converter to power a SATA optical drive or HDD cause the drive to malfunction?
This one: Flipkart: Asus DRW-24B3ST DVD Burner Internal Optical Drive (Black): Internal Optical Drive

And also, just change the converter to make sure it isn't the culprit, although problems are not caused by converters, it either works or fails, nor banding like this.

BTW: Just use Nero Express to burn a disc, is the pattern same? And try some moserbare dvds(the ones with moserbare written on top, not the white ones).

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
@Tkin:Thanks for the prompt response.I've decided to go for a ASUS drive just to be on the safer side,i think it won't be a good idea to continue using the LG drive for backing up my valuable data.

As a matter fact,i have tested the drive by using moser Baer discs as well and the results were pretty much the same-the circular bands were present in them too and therefore i strongly suspect that something is wrong with the drive.

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!
@Tkin:Thanks for the prompt response.I've decided to go for a ASUS drive just to be on the safer side,i think it won't be a good idea to continue using the LG drive for backing up my valuable data.

As a matter fact,i have tested the drive by using moser Baer discs to burn my data and the results were pretty much the same-the circular bands were present in them too and therefore i strongly suspect that something is wrong with the drive.
Its a good drive, check this, it has 2.8k reviews averaging 5 stars, something almost no other product has(its the old model there, new model is available here).

Newegg.com - CD Burners, DVD Burners

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
I don't think the newer model is available at any of the computer shops in my town.Is the newer model different from the one that's available on flipkart in any way?

aloodum

Journeyman
IF you can source one get a Lite-On. Asus drives have a kind of patchy reputation.
Early on they got recommended because
1. It was Pionner rebranded
2, Their SATA models flooded the market in their initial launch and were not too costly over IDE drives from the KOREANS.

I suggest you read about the H/w to avoid thread here..

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
just my opinion but i think all this fuss is over nothing.use any drive with a decent brand dvd like moser baer using nero & check the verify option.after burning if verification completes successfully take out dvd & keep it inside a cd/dvd carry pouch.end of story.once a dvd is burned & successfully verified it does not matter what drive you used.it is not like hard disk which can fail suddenly.only factor is wear & tear which is independent of drive used once a dvd is burned successfully.

anujgoyal21

Right off the assembly line
i also have the same problem with my dvd writer can i repair it ! plz help *s15.postimg.org/d8c1410vf/Picture_001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom