Bulldozer doubt!

guru_urug

iGoogle
My friend wants to upgrade processor,motherboard and ram since his mobo and cpu went kaput. I want to make sure he gets a future proof system so want a 880g chipset mobo. His current needs are just net surfing,movies,songs, office apps. So the CPU can be something just decent like a athlon x3 440 or even a x2 is ok with him. He wont be gaming on it now. But later may need more performance.
So thts why the future proof needs. His budget for all 3 components is 7-8k max.

Which 880g mobo is good, i mean well balanced. I saw a msi mobo which even has a lightweight linux in built.
Which is better gigabyte or msi 880g?
Also whats the differnce in gigabyte GA880 GM USB3 and the UD2H? besides USB 3 functionality?

Im thinking,
mobo: Gigabyte 880GM UD2H- 4k
Procy: Athlon II x3 440- 3.2k
Ram: Gskill 2GB 1333MHz- 0.65k

Total: 7.85k

Hows this?

Cilus

laborare est orare
Instead of a 2 GB module, get a single 4 GB stick as they are currently the mainstream Ram modules. 4 GB Kingston/Transcend 1333 MHz DDR3 will cost you around 1.3K.
Also , if you can spend 700 bucks more, get the Athlon II X4 635, available @ 4K.

OP
guru_urug

guru_urug

iGoogle
ur config is great, add another 2GB stick, and that's it, yep! it's great.

Instead of a 2 GB module, get a single 4 GB stick as they are currently the mainstream Ram modules. 4 GB Kingston/Transcend 1333 MHz DDR3 will cost you around 1.3K.
Also , if you can spend 700 bucks more, get the Athlon II X4 635, available @ 4K.

Thanks guys!
Went with my friend today to lamington rd(mumbai) and got the system.
He's happy with it. :)

To summarize,
gigabyte 880gm usb3L + Athlon II x3 445= Rs.7500
4GB DDR3 1333Mhz = Rs.1175

He cudnt go for the x4 becoz it wud overshoot his budget. Actually I thought the usb3L model was same as the usb3 one. But actually the usb3L has 2 DIMM slots compared to 4 on the other one. Good thing we got the 4GB single stick, so that he can upgrade to 8GB dual channel later.

Also the L model doesnt have an IDE port :( so he will have to get a convertor for his dvd drive. But those are minor hiccups, and can be overcome. :-D Also the option to upgrade to bulldozer is the reason we got the 880chipset, so mission accomplished :)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ congrats ;-)

BTW, what's the brand/Manufacturer of the 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Ram Module you got ?

Top Bottom