Building a new Rig

snakenobi

Broken In
Building a new rig

Will be buying most of it from Lamington Road.

My usage:

Virtual OS
Video Editing - 1080p
Gaming - Metro 2033,Crysis 2,Battlefield 3
Multi-taking - Multiple Games,Programs
Web - Like 20-50tabs

Multi-Display - Might do this in future,suggest separately for this

Components:

CPU - 2600k - DO i need 3930k?
Motherboard - Z68 - not decided which one - HDMI,DVI-D,USB 3.0,srt,LUCID LOGIX,7.1,etc
HDD - Which company reliability? - 3TB
Ram - 8gb - Should i buy 16gb,which brand?
GPU - 580,6970,7970 - full settings crysis2/battlefield3/metro2033,dual display - not decided
Case 600T White - Where can i get this in mumbai?
Monitor - LED IPS,24-27inch
Bluetooth Card - not decided
Wifi Card - not decided
Sound Card - needed?
Keyboard - Apple Wireless
Mouse - Magic Mouse
Optical Drive -
Router - Wifi N gigabit ethernet with indicators - not decided which one
Headphones - PS3 Wireless Headset
Speakers - not decided
Power Supply - How many watts and do i need 80+ RATING AND GOLD plated for long usages?
SSD - for SRT - should i go Hybrid Drive,SRT on board like gigabyte or SDD separately for SRT

Please answer the questions and suggest anything more

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Generic answers will not work. Be exact and avoid the word 'et cetera.')

Ans: mentioned in OP

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.

Ans: no problem here but i am not building it to showoff,should fullfill needs

3. Planning to overclock?

Ans: not atm but i am buying K series

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans:

OSX Lion

Windows 7

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:

3tb

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:

27inch LED IPS

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans:

none

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans:

now

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:

not built one myself but can do it and have done regular upgrades like ram,Graphic cards,optical drives,HDD,etc

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:

mumbai

open to buying online

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: nope

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pick up:

Intel Core i7-2600k - 18k
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD5 - 15k
HD 7970 3GB - 38k (inquire PrimeABGB...will take time to be available)

For Bluetooth and Wifi, don't buy "cards", instead buy USB dongles.

and Mac OS X Lion will not work in a PC with latest hardware. It's a useless OS anyways.

OP
S

snakenobi

Broken In
Pick up:

Intel Core i7-2600k - 18k
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD5 - 15k
HD 7970 3GB - 38k (inquire PrimeABGB...will take time to be available)

For Bluetooth and Wifi, don't buy "cards", instead buy USB dongles.

and Mac OS X Lion will not work in a PC with latest hardware. It's a useless OS anyways.

whats the deal with bluetooth cards,everybody keeps saying that

i like to have them inside and not outside

do 580 and 6970 not play crysis2,bf3,metro2033 on full settings?

Yes they do but 7970 is power efficient and performs better than these two GPU's you mentioned. It is also much more future proof with the latest technologies and has better support for 3D.

d3p

PowerHouse
My suggestion..

Intel i7 2600k - 18k
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 - 15.3k [It has internal bluetooth, lucid virtue & few more features]
HD7970, if available....

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
whats the deal with bluetooth cards,everybody keeps saying that

i like to have them inside and not outside
Avoid clutter inside the cabinet. There will be a lot of cables. And then your graphic card will also be pumping out hot air.

I use USB dongles myself. Range and everything is fine.

do 580 and 6970 not play crysis2,bf3,metro2033 on full settings?
HD 6970 2GB plays well. GTX 580 1.5 GB plays better. HD 7970 3GB plays even more better and overclocks like crazy.

HD 7970 3GB is the most power efficient card seen this date. I mean, its power consumption is equal to that of HD 6970, it performs 45% faster than it. Power consumption 25% lower than GTX 580 and 30% faster.

OP
S

snakenobi

Broken In
Avoid clutter inside the cabinet. There will be a lot of cables. And then your graphic card will also be pumping out hot air.

I use USB dongles myself. Range and everything is fine.

HD 6970 2GB plays well. GTX 580 1.5 GB plays better. HD 7970 3GB plays even more better and overclocks like crazy.

HD 7970 3GB is the most power efficient card seen this date. I mean, its power consumption is equal to that of HD 6970, it performs 45% faster than it. Power consumption 25% lower than GTX 580 and 30% faster.

but does 580 and 6970 do those games at max settings and dual display

i am asking cause only asus has launched 7970 in india,i want other companies tot launch and then compare

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
but does 580 and 6970 do those games at max settings and dual display
As far as Battlefield 3 on Ultra and Metro 2033 with everything maxed out and AA on high is concerned, they don't.

But one can say, HD 6970 and GTX 580 max out every game on high with clever settings.

HD 6970 can give you 4 displays. (two have to be from Display port).
GTX 580 can give you only 2 displays.
HD 7970 can give you 4 displays.

Dual display for gaming is weird. For proper experience, you need 3 monitors. People buy 3 monitors with AMD cards and run in Eyeininifty if they are bothered. For that, you would need high video RAM...like HD 7970 has....3 GB.

i am asking cause only asus has launched 7970 in india,i want other companies tot launch and then compare
Next, whenever you register on this forum, we ask you to read the rules and all the Sticky threads. Read this thread and scroll to the bottom. *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/graphic-c...ormation-regarding-graphic-cards-newbies.html

I want you to read the part about Reference and Non-Reference cards.

In India, Asus has launched a Reference card. MSI and Sapphire are also going to bring in Reference cards in India first. All parts in Reference cards are identical in components, just made by different companies. It then just gets down to which company you prefer.

HD 7970 is one card whose reference version is very very cool and excellent. With previous generation cards like HD 6000 and GTX 500 series, we have always advised non-reference cards with better cooling.

Non-reference cards of HD 7970 in India are few months away.

OP
S

snakenobi

Broken In
HD 7970 is one card whose reference version is very very cool and excellent. With previous generation cards like HD 6000 and GTX 500 series, we have always advised non-reference cards with better cooling.

Non-reference cards of HD 7970 in India are few months away.

is there a problem with noise on 7970 cards with no overclocking or anything

can you tell which brands are best?

and also answer other questions in the OP above the questionaire?

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
is there a problem with noise on 7970 cards with no overclocking or anything
No. Reviewers have nothing to pin point in this card so they are getting too picky about noise. It's nothing.

can you tell which brands are best?
No one is best. Just avoid XFX.

Power Supply? Corsair HX750.

Although you don't need anything more than Corsair TX650v2. But since you seem to have the budget, get Corsair HX750 which is a modular power supply. Google to know more.

Hard disk? Western Digital Blue or Black. Capacity depends on you.

RAM? 2 * 4 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 1600 Mhz.

No idea why you are buying Apple Keyboard and Mouse. No one can game on those. Google to find a suitable keyboard and mouse for yourself.

And read the forum rules. Spamming the forum with little threads about your queries is not allowed. People take time to reply as we have lives too. I can't type everything on a mobile. Nor we are here to spoonfeed anyone. :)

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD5 - already recommended.

27" monitor. I really don't have any idea. Dell U2711 is the only one I know and it costs a bomb.

Top Bottom