Building a Gaming Rig PC Under 50-60k

Cilus

laborare est orare
Exactly, I also prefer GTX 670 over HD 7950 if the main purpose is gaming. Only if you're thinking of serious GPU computing then HD 7950 might have a ground against 670. Otherwise, GTX 670 is the way to go.

N@m@n

Journeyman
If you choose to buy GTX 670 then prefer Gigabyte first.
Reference below
Seven Solid GeForce GTX 670s, But Three Stand Out : Seven GeForce GTX 670 Cards, Benchmarked And Reviewed

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Exactly, I also prefer GTX 670 over HD 7950 if the main purpose is gaming. Only if you're thinking of serious GPU computing then HD 7950 might have a ground against 670. Otherwise, GTX 670 is the way to go.

I think apps supporting cuda will do fine with 670. It just falters in opencl apps showcasing compute. Cuda based compute tasks should be easy for the 670 to handle.

Tomshardware also shows compute apps with opencl codepath. There are lot of gpgpu based apps for cuda and here they are.

Most of them are lame, but there might be something useful. Lots of video editing apps are supported.

Here's the cuda alternate of the luxmark benchmark toms uses.

Voxel Engine Development using NVIDIA CUDA

Blender GPU Benchmark | BlenderNation

*www.geeks3d.com/20100428/octane-render-cuda-accelerated-photorealistic-renderer/

I think 670 can do all these easily. So nvidia owners are not left completely outcold if they want general purpose computing due to the presence of cuda.

Utkarsh Sharma

Journeyman
@vickybat Read this article first: HIS Radeon HD 7750 & HD 7770 CrossFire Review | techPowerUp
Two HD 7770s perform almost equal to an HD 7950

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@vickybat Read this article first: HIS Radeon HD 7750 & HD 7770 CrossFire Review | techPowerUp
Two HD 7770s perform almost equal to an HD 7950

You read the following:

Another important factor is that these setups have inherent problems of being multi-GPU. To begin with, they require two PCI-Express long slots on your system. They require to be optimized per application/game. AMD and NVIDIA do periodically give out Catalyst Application Profiles and NVIDIA SLI Profile updates that do the job, but you will sometimes find yourself in situations where the newly-launched you just installed isn't optimized for multi-GPU, leaving you to face performance issues till application profiles are out.

If possible, try and analyze from the above why it isn't recommended to sli or crossfire upper entry level to lower midrange cards.
Cards like 7850 & above are recommended from crossfire.

Last edited:

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
Yep..
If op plans to sli/crossfire then he should get something lik GTX 680*2 or HD7950*2.:p
My opinion is to go for single card that fits his budget best as for here Asus GTX670-DC2T-2GD5 @ 29.5k

Top Bottom