Budget PC config (below 15k)

banskt

Broken In
Brief:

The PC at one of my relatives is an antique system, and now he wants to update that. Budget is a constraint and should be below 15k. The 600 VA UPS and a LG CRT monitor is still in good working condition, and would be retained. Though I have suggested him to upgrade the monitor, it would not be done immediately, but would be done later (approx. after 6 months). Requirements are very light, but he wants a fast and responsive PC. I have decided to go along the AMD route, but I am frankly open to Intel rigs (I am not in any way, biased).

Questionnaire:

1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
A: Internet surfing, very light gaming (age old games of 2003-04), everyday work (includes Microsoft Office and some other calculations), watching movies (maybe HD movies after another 6 months or so, when he gets a new monitor).

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A: Yes

3. What is your MAX budget?
A: 15k

4. Planning to overclock?
A: Never

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: Windows 7

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: 500GB

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want? If you already want have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size.
A: The old monitor is 1280x1024. New one is yet to be bought, would be decided later.

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A: 7

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: Early November

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A: Monitor, UPS

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A: I live in Bangalore, and this PC would be assembled in Kolkata, when I go there in mid-November. Online shopping would be ideal to send the items beforehand.

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A: Not applicable

My Suggestion:

Component | Make | Price | Link Processor |AMD Phenom II X4 840|4965| Lynx Motherboard |Asus M4A88T-M LE|4150| TheITWares RAM |G-skill F3-10600CL9S-4GBNT|1260| TheITDepot HDD |Seagate 500Gb 7200.12|1885| Lynx DVD Writer |LG 24X SATA DVD|1050| TheITWares PSU |FSP Saga II 500W|2090| Lynx Case |Zebronics Bijli (w/o psu)|1000|Local dealer
Keyboard & Mouse |Logitech MK100|500|Local dealer
Speakers |Basic Speakers|500|Local dealer
Total ||17400||

Any ideas how to reduce the cost below 15k? (Also, I have not included shipping in the above). Maybe local dealers will take less than the quoted prices of online shops.
Other suggestions for rig are most welcome.

Thanking you all,
banskt

guru_urug

iGoogle
Go for this mobo
Gigabyte MA880GM-UD2H @ 4k
And change the processor to a
Athlon X3 445 @3.4k

Since you dont the PC for any demanding games or applications this will do fine. Also you can upgrade the Procy later to bulldozer when you need more horsepower

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
buy proccy, motherboard, ram & hard drive from SMC. shipping should be free. rest of the stuff locally.

change proccy & motherboard as suggested by guru_urug & get a single 2Gb ram stick for now.

OP
banskt

banskt

Broken In
Go for this mobo
Gigabyte MA880GM-UD2H @ 4k

I would also like to go with that motherboard, but where do I get that? It is not listed in the online shops.

And change the processor to a
Athlon X3 445 @3.4k

Since you dont the PC for any demanding games or applications this will do fine. Also you can upgrade the Procy later to bulldozer when you need more horsepower

Thats a rare chance that the proccy will ever change in the coming 4-5 years. So, I have to look for the best deal in town within the budget.
Your suggestion is definitely great.

The best would have been the Athlon II X4 635 (in my opinion, though). But they are not found nowadays.

On the other hand, what is the feasibility of a Intel Sandybridge G-series? Are they available in India yet? If not, when do we expect them? How are the reports?

Top Bottom