Budget All-rounder Rig

compu_freak

Right off the assembly line
Hi! guys, this my 1st post, I am looking to build a all-rounder system within 30k(including VAT). I will use it for watching movies, internet, casual gaming but shud be able to play latest games at medium settings, software coding- I will be taking up a IT course soon, my sister will be using it for Maya rendering & VFX. Please suggest a cofig which includes keyboard, mouse, UPS & speakers.

1. What is the purpose of the computer?
A: watching movies, internet, casual gaming but shud be able to play latest games at medium settings, software coding, my sister will be using it for Maya rendering & VFX

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A: yes

3. What is your MAX budget?
A: 30k(including VAT)

4. Planning to overclock?
A: not sure

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: XP pro/Win 7

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: min 500 GB

7. What resolution will the screen run at?
A: not sure about res but shud be able to view HD videos

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10?
A: 5

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A: I once dis-assembled and reassembled my present system inorder to clean up the dust

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: by Feb end or Mar 1st week.

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A: yes

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? video card. I plan to buy a video card later, within 7k, suggest me one as well.

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A: Kolkata, want to buy from Kolkata only and open to online buying as well.

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A: Though I've a soft corner for AMD based system but do suggest me both Intel and AMD config.

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Intel 2400 @ 9.5k
Intel DH67BL @ 5.7k
Corsair DDR3 1333MHz 4GB @ 2.3k
Seagate 500GB @ 1.7k
NZXT Gamma @ 2k or CM Elite 310 @ 1.5k
Corsair VX450W @ 3.5k
KB/Mouse @ 0.5k
Benq G2220HD @ 7.3k
Total 32k

Graphic Card - HD5770 @ 7k

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@ compu_freak

Buddy, Ishu gupta's suggestion is very good and is future proof too and beats all amd's currently. But consider a good ups for this rig like an APC 650va @ 2.6k for the protection of system components.

For the card, if you can wait then the upcoming nvidia gts 550 or a amd 6850 (hopefully will get a pricedrop) will be perfect for your system as its pretty powerful. Till then, use the on-die gpu of i5 2400 which is excellent for regular use and some low res gaming.

Also try to include a good set of speakers for your rig. The altec lansing vs2621 @ 1.5k is great.

OP
C

compu_freak

As I had mentioned earlier the config shud include UPS & speakers too and shud be max 30k(including VAT) , the above Intel config exceeds my budget by 2k and doesn't include UPS & speakers. So please recommend me both Intel & AMD config(as I have a soft corner for AMD which is my present CPU, but open to alternative ideas). I have also read in many sites that AMD graphics are far better than Intel's. Since I'll use the system for casual gaming(2 days a week) and some Maya rendering, so graphics is very important for me.

Piyush, I'll buy the graphic card by the end of march.

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
I have also read in many sites that AMD graphics are far better than Intel's.
Old news. Sandybridge graphics are much better than any other IGP.

And Maya will hugely benefit by Sandybridge.

AMD X4 635 @ 4.5k
Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H @ 4.5k
Corsair DDR3 1333MHz 4GB @ 2.3k
Seagate 500GB @ 1.7k
NZXT Gamma @ 2k or CM Elite 310 @ 1.5k
Corsair VX450W @ 3.5k
KB/Mouse @ 0.5k
Benq G2220HD @ 7.3k
APC 600VA @ 2.6k
Altec Lancing VS2621 @ 1.5k
Total 29.9k

OP
C

compu_freak

what if I go for Phenom II x2 550? has higher cache, good for playing games. Also for the PSU if I go for FSP saga II 350W/400W or VIP gold 400W will it suffice my system requirements along with the graphic card? will save some money too.

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
IMO X4 is better than X2. More future proof and all.
Also the impact on games won't be much.

And a FSP SagaII 500W @ 2k is OK but not if you intend to add any mid end card.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
the L3 cache has no noticeable difference in games at low clock speeds. if you will oc then it will benefit you.

Last edited:

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
sammy see this - Benchmark Results: Synthetics : Athlon II Or Phenom II: Does Your CPU Need L3 Cache?
clock to clock (2.6ghz both) comparison between 620 and 955 BE. in games GTA4 and farcry 2, 3 and 7 is the increase from 620 to 955. only L4D shows 20 more (although both above 100fps so wont be noticeable i think). only cpu heavy apps like winrar benefit a lot. they using a GTX260. (a 2009 article :-D). so higher clocks > 3ghz benefit from more cache IMO. the instructions are readilly available for the processor to use in higher clock speeds and not to access the slow memory. thats why i think 555 being a BE is having L3. and thats why phenom 955 at 3.2ghz scales lot better than 635 due to l3 cache and 4 cores.

so edited my previous post accordingly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom