BSODs and Driver Problems

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
Guys these days i am getting a lot of these.

first these started when i used catalyst 11.7. i updated it to 11.8 yesterday but i got these today again. i had overclocked my card to 850/1300 from 800/1250. i was running a unigine test and found lower fps. i checked msi afterburner and found the card running at 500/1300!!!
a BSOD happened and clocks were reset to 800/1250 automatically. then i thought oc might be a problem. so i ran furmark at stock and again a BSOD happened.

i had overclocked it a long time back and no problems were there. started 3-4 days back.

some advice needed what to do?

OP
Jaskanwar Singh

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
^yes to 3.1ghz. But it is in that state froms months. And moreover msg comes that ati driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered. So i think a prob related to card.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Guys these days i am getting a lot of these.

first these started when i used catalyst 11.7. i updated it to 11.8 yesterday but i got these today again. i had overclocked my card to 850/1300 from 800/1250. i was running a unigine test and found lower fps. i checked msi afterburner and found the card running at 500/1300!!!
a BSOD happened and clocks were reset to 800/1250 automatically. then i thought oc might be a problem. so i ran furmark at stock and again a BSOD happened.

i had overclocked it a long time back and no problems were there. started 3-4 days back.

some advice needed what to do?

The way you have been playing with Furmark, highly probable you have ruined your accelerator.

Anyways, if the BSOD is generating any dumps post the last 5 on a shared link, and place the link here, will look into them.

Also, try a fresh GPU driver install, using Driver Sweeper method as per Guru3d.

OP
Jaskanwar Singh

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
The way you have been playing with Furmark, highly probable you have ruined your accelerator.

Anyways, if the BSOD is generating any dumps post the last 5 on a shared link, and place the link here, will look into them.

Also, try a fresh GPU driver install, using Driver Sweeper method as per Guru3d.

asingh i installed fresh 11.8 after using sweeper.
Sorry for such ques but where are dumps generated?

@tenida
in oc the temp goes around 75 in games and idle 41~.

@megamind
sometimes on windows startup and sometimes gaming.

OP
Jaskanwar Singh

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist

thanks sam.

asingh
i am unable to upload. there are 4 files. when i upload it says i dont have sufficient permission to open it.

and now i am unable to play any game or whatever. just recovered from another hang up. the screen fills with white squares or sometime dashes :-(

OP
Jaskanwar Singh

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
yes everything is at stock megamind.

i reseated the card only after that game crash. at first i tried booting from IGP after removing card but it stuck at windows logo. but after installing card its booted. didnt try any game now. shall i?

MegaMind

Human Spambot
Try with IGP first,
1. Remove the GPU,
2. Restore bios to default settings,
3. Boot with IGP, remove ATI drivers
4. Reboot,
5. Install IGP drivers, Try any game with lowest setting for sometime..

post back...

OP
Jaskanwar Singh

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
megamind and others an update. today i played civ5 and it ran without problem. this is my first game on gpu after re-installing yesterday. ran heaven too fine.

So what you say? i think its working fine.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
@jassy, don't run any heavy benchmark. your GPU has already taken a good lot of beating. just keep your system safe.

PS: i think you remember somone's GPU got fried here after running furmark in high setting. you are lucky :)

OP
Jaskanwar Singh

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
ok sammy.

guys i spoke too early yesterday. another BSOD yesterday evening and today a crash of civ5.

asingh here you go -

082611-34476-01.dmp
082511-29889-01.dmp
082411-55973-01.dmp
082411-28594-01.dmp
082211-29733-01.dmp

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
jassy all these errors are cause of just 1 single module: atikmpag.sys
and the error is Timeout Detection and Recovery error (TDR).

did a bit of googling & found these:

The following hardware issues are examples that can cause a TDR event:
- Failing overclock on CPU or GPU
- Bad sector in memory resulting in corrupt data being communicated between GPU and the system (either video or system memory)
- Corrupt hard drive/windows install resulting in corruption to the system registry or the page file
- Over heating of GPU or CPU again resulting in corrupt data being communicated.
- GPU failure due to any sort of issue from insufficient power(VERY common) to heat.

The following software issues are examples that can cause a TDR event:
-Incompatible drivers of any sort (either GPU, sound, etc)
-Messy registry
-Bad direct x files
-bad system files
-Bad driver

first & 4th option looks most likely.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Well, I'm a sufferer of this problem and there are two possible reasons for it:-

Corrupted DirectX file
Corrupted GPU Memory

JAs, do a fresh installation of the OS and then install the Gfx driver. Make sure everything is running @ stock speed.
If reinstalling OS doesn't solve the problem then I'm 99.5% sure it is Gfx card hrdware issue, most probably corrupted memory module.
And why the hell you are running future mark tests all the time? Futuremark is a bad piece of software to measure GPU's capability as it creates unrealistic type of workload over the GPU and stress it in such a high level which is nearly impossible in any real life scenario.
That's why all the review sites actually dropped futuremark tests to measure load power consumtion.

Top Bottom