Browser Speed Tests: Latest Firefox Is Faster, but Not as Fast as Google Chrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
;)

But it's always best to use the quote button to quote instead of copying and quoting manually. :) As the link in the quoted text in your post will not work. :)

OP
desiibond

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
thats wht i m saying....say it took 9.2s to load youtube in firefox. 9s download time + 0.2s rendering time.

in google chrome, it will again be like 9.1s to load youtube. 9s data transfer time + 0.1s rendering time.

difference will be in miliseconds regardless of broadband connection u use.

same page actually took around 11 seconds for IE7 :)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
same page actually took around 11 seconds for IE7 :)
Thats what he's trying to explain. Its the render time. Maybe with some tricks like compression you can download data faster (lesser data). But the high-level view will be the same. If 2 browsers are being compared for their speed the tests should be fair. A browser cannot accelerate your download speed.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
I've been trying out Opera 10 (Alpha & Beta, although it doesn't feels like an alpha or beta product)... and it is fast.. incredibly fast.. lightweight.. no headaches.. no large memory footprint.. and most of all.. incredibly stable.. never, ever crashed.. Still... I feel Firefox 3.5.1 is a huge, i mean huge improvement over the predecessors.. it launches itself very fast.. I'm waiting for Opera 10 and the next version of Firefox.. Safari sux..

digitalage

java is fun.
according to me crome is the browser which crashes a lot...... and firefox is best, (not sure about e security issue)....

OP
desiibond

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
hmm. never faced much crashed for Chrome and I do accept that FF is lot lot stable when compared to chrome.

Indyan

Here Since 2003
^^crazy..in my machine Opera rocks..Chrome and FF crawls.

Opera 10 is the fastest in HTML/CSS rendering from what I've felt. Though JS engine is still slow. Firefox 3.5 has a blazing fast JS engine but it's still not as fast as Google Chrome's. Both use the Tracemonkey JS engine though.

Chrome uses v8 engine. Its different from Fx's Tracemonkey engine.

Opera is still using the old js engine which explains it's poor performance in js benchmarks. It is currently working on a new engine called Carakran which will be included in some future version (10+).

However, you are quite right. Opera's HTML/CSS rendering is the fastest.
Js rendering is just one aspect of website rendering and you can't judge a browser's speed simply based on js benchmarks.

Have a look at this real world browser speed test. Opera emerged as the fastest browser in this.

Also if you use a slow internet connection and speed is what you are after just enable Opera Turbo! It will blow everything else away.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
yea, Chrome is V8. Thanx for correcting me. :) I did have a doubt on that statement.

Opera is developing their own JS engine and I'm sure that will kick some serious arse. :twisted:

utsav

damn busy...
I use all these browsers but i cant understand y ff hangs so much. Am sick of Firefox so i hav named it Fu(kin Fowl :mad: . It hangs on every pc i hav used it on. Imo opera and chrome r d best out thr in terms of speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom