Browser Fanboyism !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anu

Right off the assembly line
There is a despicable trend that is becoming more and more common wherein the browser settings of web surfers are being hijacked forcibly by malicious web sites and software which modifies your default start and search pages.

Sometimes internet shortcuts will be added to your favorites folder without asking you. The purpose of this is force you to visit a web site of the hijacker's choice so that they artificially can inflate their web site's traffic for higher advertising revenues.

In some cases, these changes are reversible simply by going into internet options and switching them back. Not always, however. Sometimes it's necessary to edit the windows registry (gasp!) to undo the changes made. Sometimes there is even a combination of registry setting and files clandestinely placed on your hard drive that redo your settings every time you reboot the computer.

No matter how often you change your settings back, they are changed again the next time you restart. There have even been cases where internet options have been removed from the tools menu by registry hacking to prevent you from controlling your own computer!

Even AOL has become a browser hijacker by placing their web site free.aol.com in Internet Explorer's trusted sites security zone, thereby bypassing the most frequently used security settings. This occurs after installing their AOL software, AOL Instant Messenger, Netscape 6.x and ICQ2001b has reportedly done this. AOL then exploits this by downloading ActiveX components to your computer without your consent. The CWS trojan also does this.

OP
D

digen

Youngling
Dude do you have any idea what the intended message was in this thread?
There is no point in posting stuff like this.

Anyways since i'm in a generous mood today & this seems to be your lucky joe day here have a plain brownie.

*img83.echo.cx/img83/7750/plainbrownie5pz.th.jpg

For the record:post Reported !

Anu

I just wanted to mention that this is happening even with AOL software too and if you think that there is nothing here its upto u..and anyway thanx for ur generous mood

Charley

Just Do It
Just happened to read this article. Very detailed one. Indeed a very good one. Tks, keep more of this coming in.

A

Ashwin Saxena

What a articles?...
I am your fan now...
Hee!! Hee!! Hee!!

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
I LOVE OPERA!

Wait. We are against this right?

Sorry, couldn't resist that. But can someone clarify my doubt? Don't shout at me if I missed a point. But don't such discussions help people find their, u know...real love? or the perfect browser for them? I just thought ppl may look at the arguments and find out things about the other side that they could do with.
But ofcourse, unfortunately, all of the discussions end up like "my toy is bigger than ur toy" and end up comparing apple features of one browser to the orange of the other. Maybe that's why u consider them unhealthy arguments?

OP
D

digen

Youngling
/goes & puts his anti-fanboysim cap :)

Real love?
Whats the point? You use the software so you should try it & keep it if you like or it satisfies your requirements.But that rarely happens in these kinda discussions."I love XXX" or "I love YYY"
bah get a life !
I agree though that it isnt possible to try every software which gets released but for that you have web sites doing reviews & comparisons of latest released software which give you a fair idea.

Actually the above which I've written wasnt needed had you read the first post on this thread again & again & again......till you get the message !

/removes the cap & heads to the next thread.

Strider

A very good article indeed .
Something i could relate to since i had began to question my choice of opera and couldn,t quite understand what the firefox fuzz was all about.

Prajith

Broken In
yeah a very good article indeed

Though i never pushed my opinions on others still i was very supportive to firefox just because of its simplicity and completeness.

sba

Journeyman
digen said:
Real love?
Whats the point? You use the software so you should try it & keep it if you like or it satisfies your requirements.But that rarely happens in these kinda discussions."I love XXX" or "I love YYY"
bah get a life !
The point is that u r telling the person about something better or at least something that you think is better. I would like to take chris' example on this one. If you go to a mechanic with an almost dead car to get it repaired then he will definitely tell u "saab ab isse bech do...woh naya model aaya hai na. bada accha hai" (sir sell this junk now, the new model is better). is the mechanic showing fanboyism? no he is not. He is just giving his opinion. I understand the author's point that people saying "n00b get firefox" or "m0ron get over IE" is stupidity but mentioning about an alternate product is not.

Car manufacturers have ways to advertise...softwares just have their users. So imho fanboyism to an extent is OK but when it comes down to derogatory remarks then you need to think wat u r doing.

OP
D

digen

Youngling
Dude I admit it your analogy is bang on target here but allow me to have my say.
Consider this you face problem with a particular software,would you like people giving you alternatives every post or would you like to have a clear cut solution so that you can move on with your work ?
I can lead you to umpteen number of such threads here at digit as well as many more from a reputed forum like Neowin where users provide alternatives when the original author of the thread is asking for a simple solution & not more !
Do you think I'm against better alternatives or better software to be precise? Hell NO
I didnt even know what fanboyism was before Firefox created the hype & hoopla where everyone was going bonkers over it & oh include me in it :?
The point is where do you draw the line ? Every joe will say this software is better,use this not that.If hes backing up his claims with information then fair enough but what if hes not? And thats mostly the case .
And if you read clearly the post that you've quoted me was my reply to someone saying "I love blah blah"

Anyways I hope i've drilled home the point.Comments/opinions are most welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom