Browser Fanboyism !

Status
Not open for further replies.

digen

Youngling
With ever growing threads related to browser wars & lame fanboy's I thought sharing this piece of info again wont be a bad idea.I had posted it in the forums earlier in one of the browser threads but I couldnt find it,anyways I hope people gain something from it.
The below is a article written by my friend Chris[bangbang023] who also happens to be a respected member at neowins.Credit solely goes to him,I'm just Spreading the message :wink:

Common sense, in the computing world, tells you to use whatever program you feel best accomplishes the goal you are trying to obtain. No one tool is perfect for everyone on any single goal, but they all manage to come together and cover a vast majority of users out there. Those who still feel jilted, usually program their own stuff, as I am still slowly doing with NexPad. It's a nice idea, but it's being trampled on by the immature, unable minds of extremist Firefox fan boys who do nothing but fly that icon in your face over and over until you feel bad for using anything else.

It's no secret that I use Firefox. I have a decently popular optimized build that I, myself, release daily. In general, I really like Firefox. It does what I need and that's all I ask. Sure, I have even recommended it to other people and have downloaded it to their machines for use in some pretty severe cases of corruption of their browser of choice. I let them know what I am using, tell them I use it and like it, and that's it. I let them make the choice because, after all, I want them to be able to accomplish the goals they want. I haven't converted many people, but my mom and dad now use the Fox and they like it. It works, simple as that.

My sisters use another browser and I don't seem to mind, even if it is slightly outdated (MSN 7). It does what they need and I respect that. However, ask yourself something: If they were to go to a "tech forum" and ask a question about their browser of choice, how likely do you think it is that someone will tell them to use Firefox? The problem is, it is WAY too likely to happen. At the site I work for, Neowin.net, it became a large enough problem that a thread had to be created, in our dedicated Web Browser Support Forum, just to warn users of the complete lack of tolerance we have for such behavior. In extreme circumstances, an account could be completely disabled for such offenses.

Some readers, right now, may not understand what the big deal is. However, imagine it in a different light. Imagine you owned a 1998 Ford and you needed to bring it to the mechanic. Upon bringing the car in to the shop, the mechanic ignores you as you speak and simply yells out, in your face, to “get a Dodge�. He may even call you a “n00b’ or, in more actual wording, an “idiot� for driving a Ford and not the Dodge. So, now, instead of walking out with a problem corrected and a, once again, peaceful experience with your Ford, you now go home, after being insulted, with the problem still in existence. The world just doesn’t work that way.

What can we do? Education is the answer. I can’t possibly sit here and expect anyone’s attitude to completely change because of my words. It is simply an improbable and silly thought. However, with that said, we need to start spreading the concept of mature product selection and respect. Firefox is a great product, without a doubt, but it doesn’t suit everyone’s needs and that’s perfectly okay. Internet Explorer, Opera, Safari, K-Meleon, etc, are all perfectly fine choices for a user if they feel their browsing needs will be met. So please, fellow Firefox users and lovers, try to keep these thoughts in mind. We need to be here to show how powerful this community can be, though; we need to be gentle with that power. We all need to show respect towards the choices people make, from their hair color to their Web Browser. You may not like it, but it’s their web experience and not yours. Please remember this. Let’s prove, together, that we are all better than this.

The article is situated over here: *www.bangbang023.com/Forums/index.php?showtopic=698

I for one did not find anything regarding trolling in the forum rules.Just in case if the mods find this worthy you can make this sticky as well. :roll:

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
nice one Digen. altho it is common sense to a lot, I guess the passion inside some clouds the issue and leads to fanboyism. Lets see if this makes any impact and mods I think this should be a sticky for a while !

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
A very sensible article. Hits the nail right on the head. It's people trying to push their favorite browsers in your face that you start to hate rather than the browser itself. I myself use 5 different browsers (including IE at times!) and most of the time, which one I choose is based on my mood :p

I'm making this a Sticky in the hope that the next time someone wants to start a Browser comparison, they read this first :D

tuxfan

Technomancer
This surely looks the work of some one with lots of common sense. Surely a thought provoking writing. Taught me a thing or two about propoganding open source softwares :)

theraven

Technomancer
thank you for a sensible post after a long time
if this doesn't bring attention to anyone then too bad !
from now on lets try and keep browser wars to minimal to non existent .. and lets all work towards that

bangbang023

Right off the assembly line
Hey guys, I just want to thank everyone for reading my brief article. Honestly, I try not to voice my opinion all that often, in the computer realm, since I tend to stray from the common belief. However, I found myself hating the browser I was, in a small way, contributing to simply because of the arrogance of a few. I hope that people continue to be more respectful, whether it be in browsers or any other part of their life. Firefox is a movement and something many are passionate about. I would hate to see it ruined by ignorance.

OP
D

digen

Youngling
Whoa thanks chris for replying here mate.Oh btw peeps *www.bangbang023.com/Forums/index.php?showtopic=776

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
Welcome to the forums bangbang023 a.k.a. Chris :D

I really liked your article and appreciate the fact at least someone was level-headed enough to write something like this.

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
If you look at the article and just think about it a lil it doesnt just apply to browsers. It applies to anything which has defenitive competition. Be is OSes to cars to softwares. The first few sentences summed it up for me. Use what gives you the best options for the situations. simple enough dont you think

selva1966

Journeyman
Informing latest updates for browser - any browser - should not be considred fanboyism. But making hair splitting arguments for each and every point - we have seen too may in this forum betwen firefox and opera should henceforth come down hopefully. I learnt about firefox only from this forum. Now I have lastest copy of firefox.exe in a CD which I carry and install it after informing the benefits! I thing in dial-up connections it will save a lot of time and money for many of the users. (We mostly have dial-up connections). It will be another story when IE7 is released :wink:

rohanbee

Padawan
man what is all this about, i always use one browser i.e before and firefox now...............i hate change so i use one and stick to it if things are going good. The last thing im bothered about is a BROWSER, but it's fun seeing how ppl in some threads get really worked up about which browser they use and why?? :lol: :lol:

and yes i do love FireFox and it rules (sorry u other browser ppl) :wink: :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom