Broadband tariffs may go UP

tkin

Back to school!!
Yes, true. What I mean is that these service providers have already bought the spectrum, so why should they be paying any more money now just because they want to offer VoIP?

Because this burden is only going o be offloaded on the shoulders of the users which in turn would mean that the service wont exactly be cheap and in that case the whole argument of cheap VoIP calls is lost. I mean, cellular calls in India are already amongst the cheapest anywhere in the world apparently, so any service that is "cheap" has to be cheaper than that. And this move by the govt, if enforced, might fill the government coffers with a little more money for some corrupt politician to gobble but not help anyone else. :|
*i.imgur.com/crNX53K.png

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
When will the government understand that facilities like internet are a major requirement for the development of socity? Better internet=easier access to quality content=no tension from crapy teachers=better education.
In a country where computers are considered as luxury goods(as for as govt. is concerned), no wonder these type of news will follow. Looks like another govt. attempt to prevent access to information.

Ironman

In the zone
I have no idea when will we get good speeds in India

Every One knows this............................ Why Dont you ??
NEVER............................. Yeah you heard that right ...................... NEVER

We will just keep paying higher prices with our hard earned money for 256/512 kbps +++++++++++++++++++ FUP

When will the government understand that facilities like internet are a major requirement for the development of socity? Better internet=easier access to quality content=no tension from crapy teachers=better education.

HAve you even git your aakash tablet Yet ??

First Get it Then Expect the govt to do this !

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
*img831.imageshack.us/img831/5747/liuliu.png

As if the current prices are good.

Stupid oldies at DoT plan to go back to 128Kbps speed or they want ISPs to offer stupid plans like 5GB per 1K rental.

Meh! even image urls have censor?

tkin

Back to school!!
isnt this for new customers only?? existing customers WILL have the existing tariffs, right???
Guess :rolleyes:

BSNL does an interesting thing, I used to have 5GB 1k Night UL Plan, that plan was removed, as an existing customer I was supposed to keep using it as long as I like, after 7 months one day I was suddenly bumped down to 256kbps UL, BSNL people told me that it was by mistake, so I told them ok, get it fixed by next billing cycle, and when that time came they told me since the 1k plan is no longer available I have to select a current plan, and I had to take 2.5GB 500/- Night UL plan, this is how they would screw you, not everyone at once, but little by little all would be screwed.

Geek9

Right off the assembly line
Really sad news considering that India is already deprived in terms of 2G / 3G development happening across the world. This will further hamper development of our rural areas.

nginx

In the zone
Good job DoT. We can all go back to using 56kbps modems now or pay 1000 bucks for 256kbps. Now that's what I call progress.

Abhishek Nama

Journeyman
isnt this for new customers only?? existing customers WILL have the existing tariffs, right???

No, They will most definitely change your plan to the new one with the updated tariff from the next billing cycle. Or they may play games with you like tkin explained :p

I hope it doesn't affect my beloved Beam Fiber, now since I am used to 10 Mbps speeds, I don't think I will get used to any speed lower than that :p

nginx

In the zone
On the other hand
Is Skype illegal in India? BSNL honcho seems to think so

At the end of the day it all comes down to the government wanting control/restrict flow of information and also making money while they are at it. Services like Skype are fully legal but they will declare it illegal just because it allows unrestricted flow of information which the government has no control over. Also thanks to Skype people with smartphones are using it as a free alternative to expensive 3G calling. Of course that ain't gonna fly with BSNL, so now its time to tax VOIP. Makes you wonder if the government actually exists to serve the public.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Already,my monthly BSNL bill for 900ULD Plan has risen by Rs.81/-, may be due to error also!!!
I have to get it clarified soon,because till January 2013,I used to pay Rs.801/- p.m. for this Plan(Rs.900/- : DISCOUNT AVAILED @ 20% BY ME)
That means I have to be ready to shell out more!@$&&^%%%$!

Tech&ME

Banned
Is our government so poor ?

They are running after each and every opportunity to make MONEY.....

What is left behind, they are even talking about taxing agriculture ..... just to curve the governments deficit.

tkin

Back to school!!
Is our government so poor ?

They are running after each and every opportunity to make MONEY.....

What is left behind, they are even talking about taxing agriculture ..... just to curve the governments deficit.
Replace poor with Greedy :rolleyes:

Top Bottom