Broadband in Two Rooms..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manshahia

Resident Fanatic
I m living in a rented room..
And the person living in the next room is having a broadband connection..
I was thinking if we can share the broadband..
Is it possible ?
Wat wud b the requirements??
the distance between the computers is around 15 Feet..

which broadband ?
i think router is essential in most of isp to share connection between pcs...or ethernet switch in some isp & cable wire.....

abhasbajpai

Asterisk enthusiast
Manshahia said:
I m living in a rented room..
And the person living in the next room is having a broadband connection..
I was thinking if we can share the broadband..
Is it possible ?
Wat wud b the requirements??
the distance between the computers is around 15 Feet..
by this i presume the person is using the connections and you, both want to share it, for the the cheapest thing is you connect both pc's with crossover cable by lan and enable ICS (if using windows), the drawback is that the computer in another room should be on and connected to internet.
if want to come over this drawback please provide more details of your broadband connection and how its terminated on pc.

vish786

"The Gentleman"
if ur using a router than u can use net on one system while the other is off.
but for crossover cable both system should be off, and ur broadband speed also will split into two.

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
what modem/router do you have. I have an adsl modem here from mtnl and it has 4 ethernet ports. sort of like a switch you know.

OP
Manshahia

Manshahia

Resident Fanatic
the connection is from airtel..
i think they hav provided the modem..
also i m having a modem from BSNL.
can anyone plz telll if i can use that for the connection..
I need an independent connection so that there's no need to start one PC to connect to the internet..

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
the model number is usually on the bottom side of the router/modem. Would it be too much trouble to post those here? Please? (Sheesh!!)

Ganeshkumar

Padawan
Now a days all basic modem cum with 1 ethernet port and 1 usb port... so 1 use usb and other use ethernet port!
if u have only 1 port, then u must buy a router!

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Manshahia said:
the connection is from airtel..
i think they hav provided the modem..
also i m having a modem from BSNL.
can anyone plz telll if i can use that for the connection..
I need an independent connection so that there's no need to start one PC to connect to the internet..
simplest way is to get a 4 or 8 port hub (costing less than 500 bucks) wid this all 3: ur comp, his comp and the modem go into the hub. u can share net, resources (optical drive, printers, files etc.) play multiplayer games and lot more...

Ganeshkumar said:
Now a days all basic modem cum with 1 ethernet port and 1 usb port... so 1 use usb and other use ethernet port!
if u have only 1 port, then u must buy a router!

The USB port and the ethernet port will never work at the same time!

@Manshahia, it's better you ask your ISP to give you a normal router which will have 4 ethernet ports rather than taking the modem from them, call up your ISP and see if they can exchange the single port modem for a router if you haven't used the equipment.

Ganeshkumar

Padawan
Help~Is~Here said:
The USB port and the ethernet port will never work at the same time!

@Manshahia, it's better you ask your ISP to give you a normal router which will have 4 ethernet ports rather than taking the modem from them, call up your ISP and see if they can exchange the single port modem for a router if you haven't used the equipment.

But one of my frnd is using it in that way.....:confused:

i will ask him wat is the model and post here... His ISP is Airtel and he is frm chennai!

Ganeshkumar said:
But one of my frnd is using it in that way.....:confused:

i will ask him wat is the model and post here... His ISP is Airtel and he is frm chennai!

well, both the ports will work but not at the same time. You won't be able to use the USB connection while you are using the LAN connection. That is a very basic rule of a modem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom