broadband connection leaking

curioustechy

Journeyman
I'm using BSNL 750 UL broadband usinf ADSL2 wifi modem.. i browse wirelessly... my wifi connection is so configured that as soon as i switch on my laptop i can browse directly without doing anything... my connection settings are as follows

Wireless Settings

Network Name (SSID): BSNL_AP
Network Key (WEP/WPA Key): XXXXXXXXXX
Key Provided Automatically (802.1x): 0
Network Authentication Type: open
Data Encryption Type: WEP
Connection Type: ESS
Key Index:

Now my doubt is: is my wifi leaky? i mean is anybody able to use net through my modem without my knowledge?

Rajesh345

Youngling
Use wpa instead of wep , , wep is easily crackable

*img828.imageshack.us/img828/7316/unledhiy.jpg

ur router page will b diff , mine is WA1003a old BSNL router

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
yes us e wpa2 psk/personal & use a strong key, if possible also enable mac filter

and the encryption type should be AES

meetdilip

Computer Addict
Try this

See who all are connected to your WiFi

Also WEP is crackable. It is wise to use WPA2. Simply borrow a laptop from a friend and try to connect BSNL_AP. If it connects without asking for any password, it is time to check your WiFi settings. :)

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Also WEP is crackable. It is wise to use WPA2. Simply borrow a laptop from a friend and try to connect BSNL_AP. If it connects without asking for any password, it is time to check your WiFi settings. :)

WEP isn't good but not that bad :D

meetdilip

Computer Addict
WEP isn't good but not that bad :D

:)

WEP used to be very good at a time, just like an antivirus was enough to protect your PC. Now people have found ways to bypass it. So better move to advanced options. According to law, if someone crack your WiFi and send a fake mail saying that there is a bomb in Rajadhani express, it will be tracked back to you and you are answerable. It is a stupid law as most connections are insecure but it is how things work.

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
:)

WEP used to be very good at a time, just like an antivirus was enough to protect your PC. Now people have found ways to bypass it. So better move to advanced options. According to law, if someone crack your WiFi and send a fake mail saying that there is a bomb in Rajadhani express, it will be tracked back to you and you are answerable. It is a stupid law as most connections are insecure but it is how things work.
I know that. Infact I can to that in less than 5 mins.

Read the post I quoted again. :thumbs:

OP
curioustechy

curioustechy

Journeyman
Friends i'm back with some more issues. After using internet wirelessly on my laptop for a quite long time, i switched over to desktop with internet via lan cable..at that time the bsnl personnel configured my modem from wireless to wired connection. now i want to use both wired and wireless connection from the same modem. is it possible. i'm sending screenshots of my modem settings page.

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
^^ first the wireless network is disabled enable it (second option) use a strong key
then in the internet connection page just change the connection type to pppoe from bridged mode also provide ur username & password so that the modem auto connects to the net u will be able to access the net both wired & wifi

Top Bottom