breathing life into an Pentium 1 pc

akuma

Right off the assembly line
hey,

i have an old Pentium 1 pc, i want to install linux in it. Please suggest a linux distro that supports P1 architecture.

nims11

BIOS Terminator
If you are new into Linux, I highly suggest Ubuntu or Linux Mint.

Otherwise I'd have installed Arch :p

wouldnt ubuntu and mint be too heavy on a P1?
Arch is a good choice. but for someone new to linux, install puppy linux or damn small linux(but the initial functionality will be limited with these two!). for more functionality, you can opt for crunchbag or fluxubuntu or any distro with a lightweight desktop manager.

OP
A

akuma

i tried ti install both arch as well as ubuntu . Arch didn't workout it was for i686 machines. with ubuntu (the server version) apparently the kernel doesn't support the older P1 processor. will give DSL a try in a couple of days..

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Wow.. a P1 really?
Are those still around? :?
Have you considered installing Win 98 or something on it? Or else you would have to find a Really old Linux to be installed on it. Maybe you can try old digit DVD's for those!

OP
A

akuma

May i ask what is the speed of your processor?

its 133 Mhz proc with a 256mb sd ram..

going to try puppy, vector and dsl. if i am not satisfied(btw which one of these has better package management?).

Last edited:

doomgiver

Warframe
i'd use one as a 24x7 download box

please keep us informed about how its woking out for you, i wanna try this too

iinfi

mekalodu
my first pc was a pentium 1 .. 100 Mhz ... 8MB RAM ... i think in 1999 ... after 1 year i upgraded it to 16mb RAM .... that was the fastest PC in town ...
who said 256 here? dont think my board supported beyond 64mb

I think i ran DOS and windows 3.1 on it ...
... FOXPRO ... C ... lotus123 .... hmmm...

forgot to mention ... 1.1 GB HDD

sygeek

Technomancer
I would suggest OpenBSD/NetBSD.

Even if you want a Windows-like environment, you might want to try Windows FLP, though it may not work.

Rahim

Married!
my first pc was a pentium 1 .. 100 Mhz ... 8MB RAM ... i think in 1999 ... after 1 year i upgraded it to 16mb RAM .... that was the fastest PC in town ...
who said 256 here? dont think my board supported beyond 64mb

I think i ran DOS and windows 3.1 on it ...
... FOXPRO ... C ... lotus123 .... hmmm...

forgot to mention ... 1.1 GB HDD

IIRC, i got my 1st PC in 2002 and it was P3 with 256 MB RAM with 20 GB HDD. Was P1 the rampant norm in 1999?

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Intel: Pentium II (97-98), Pentium III (99-01), Pentium IV (01-06), Core 2 (06-09), Core i3/5/7 (09- )

AMD: K6 (97-98), K6-2 (98-99), K6-III] (99), Athlon (00-01) Athlon XP (01-03), Athlon 64 (03-06), Phenom (07-08), Phenom II (08-11)

Bold = Winner. Italics = tie. Underline = Fail.

Top Bottom