breathing life into an Pentium 1 pc

deathwish

Are you dead yet?
Intel: Pentium II (97-98), Pentium III (99-01), Pentium IV (01-06), Core 2 (06-09), Core i3/5/7 (09- )

AMD: K6 (97-98), K6-2 (98-99), K6-III (99), Athlon (00-01) Athlon XP (01-03), Athlon 64 (03-06), Phenom (07-08), Phenom II (08-11)

Bold = Winner. Italics = tie. Underline = Fail.

Very well put!! Although I thought that Pentium IV did reasonably well. :?

Last edited:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Disagree with Ico.. on "Pen 4 being FAIL" issue!
I think they were The best of their times. Still using Pen 4, and it reasonably works. Even runs Win 7 after a little tweak!

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Compared to higher clocked Athlon 64, even Pentium 4 Extreme Edition used to fall short. And I have not even mentioned Athlon 64 FX. A 2.0 Ghz Athlon 64 used to outperform Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz. P4 mainly sold because idiots didn't know what to buy and got fooled by the Ghz myth. Intel exploited that to the core.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Regarding P4, I would say the Northwood performed pretty well but before (Willamette) and after (Prescott) there were only disaster. So 1/3 = FAIL.

rchi84

In the zone
I think with a P1, you will have to restrict yourself to a command user interface, as desktop environments need a P2-266 Mhz CPU as the very least...

Saurav2007

Broken In
Install Dos on it and enjoy

Problem with all old PCs (i got a p3 and p4) is the lack of support for SATA hard drives. Brand new IDEs are almost extinct from the market and you have to rely on refurbished ones which are not value for money

Anyone got a working 486?. I wish I could get one and install DOS on it and play old games the way they were meant to instead of running DOSBOX. Any ideas where to find one?

D

Deleted member 118788

You Can Try Xpud Very Good distro. nearly 60 mb.
xPUD - Shortest Path to the Cloud

agyaat

Broken In
I have a Via C3 machine, still working with windows XP heh heh :-D
64 MB RAM :))

XP working fine on 64 MB & 800 MHz ?!!

XP sp3 is doing an agitation on 192 MB & P3 1GHz. :grin:

Exploring options like puppy/Arch/mint/buy a 512MB stick and review once more/ buy a very old usb stick and use it as a dedicated boot/etc.

Top Bottom