Boy loses eye in cellphone blast

spacescreamer

Journeyman
NAGPUR: A 12-year-old boy lost his right eye while playing with his father's China-made mobile, which exploded while it was being charged. The incident took place on Thursday at Seoni village in Yavatmal district. The boy, Mayur, suffered chemical burns on his eyes, hands and lips. The explosion has completely ruptured his right retina, making it improbable that he would regain vision in that eye.

Mayur's father Subhash Raut rushed him to a nearby hospital and then to a government hospital in Yavatmal, from where he was shifted to Government Medical College and Hospital (GMCH) in Nagpur late on Thursday night.

"We immediately performed a surgery to prevent the infection from spreading to the brain. Unfortunately, we could not do anything to save Mayur's right eye," said Dr Rahul Dangwar, associate professor in the ophthalmology department of GMCH, who attended to Mayur under the supervision of Dr Dilip Kumre. Mayur's left eye has not been affected by the explosion, he added.

"This is the second case of this kind we have dealt with. The other was reported last year. In both cases, the cellphones were cheap, China-made models. Those buying such phones should be cautious not to overcharge the batteries, and should leave them alone when they are charging," said Dr Ashok Madan, head of ophthalmology department at GMCH.

A student of class VI, Mayur has done well in studies throughout. His teachers and family are now worried about how this will affect his life. "Other children from the village are now being kept away from mobile phones," said a villager who had accompanied the Rauts to Nagpur.

Subhash Raut, who is a farmworker, is now afraid of using mobile phones. "I would ask all parents to be very cautious with electronic devices, especially while children are around. They must avoid the situation where children treat mobile phones like toys," he said.

Source: Boy loses eye in cellphone blast

Overcharging or not, cheap chinese stuff should be banned outright. If not by govt order, people should stifle their sales to peanuts.

Unless the product is coming via proper firms like Nokia etc, nobody can be assured what standards it has gone through. And in all these years, it has been proven that small chinese firms are like ticking time bomb. Better to keep them products away than be involved in injuries which scars you for a lifetime.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
this is sad. i read a case last year when an adult person died cause of shock he received when trying to take a call from a plugged in "made in china" phone.

Hrishi

By Chinese I hope they mean those non-branded phones , right ?? :confused:.

WHat about the SAR and radiation values from Non-branded , Made-in-China cheapish cellphones ?? They too must be outta standard range , since there is no quality check on them.If yes , this is seriously a full-time threat to its users.

ANd in fact its not just these cellphones , but also several other similiar pathetic chinese prodcuts.
I heard that some of them uses chemicals that posses serious health hazard , consider the plastic toys and polymer based products.

Anish

Spectre
No matter whatever things like this happens in the world, people never give up the habit of using the phone while charging :-x

AcceleratorX

Youngling
"China-made phones" include low-end models from the Indian brands like Micromax, Karbonn, Lava, Spice etc.

You will note that these vendors never display SAR information for their phones. Why do you think that is? The less you bother with these brands the better for you.

amjath

Human Spambot
^^SAR rate is very important which is mentioned in the user manual, but I never knew that they dont display SAR information in the manual :shock:

The most important thing here is using a mobile while charging. I think that should be avoided, cause I read few articles saying iphones, SGS3 are also burned while charging [using a car charger].

So Prevention is better than cure ;)

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
I wonder why those Indian reviewers who do gadgets and all don't highlight this point either. To be honest, most don't really have a set of testing methodologies too. A lot of these new companies are cropping up and take advantage of such promotional opportunities.

OP
S

spacescreamer

Journeyman
I wonder why those Indian reviewers who do gadgets and all don't highlight this point either. To be honest, most don't really have a set of testing methodologies too. A lot of these new companies are cropping up and take advantage of such promotional opportunities.

Regarding which mobile phones are you talking about?
The mobiles of micromax etc which dont mention the SAR n stuff ??

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
No matter whatever things like this happens in the world, people never give up the habit of using the phone while charging :-x

erm... is it not permissible to talk while charging on the phone??Didn't know that..any reason y...i am called up many times while charging...didn't know that you are not supposed to...

ankit.kumar010203

Journeyman
So Sad..I am In Class 8 And I Also Keep Charger Plugin in My Lapi All The Time When My Lapi Is On....!!! And I Plugout My Lapi Charger When The Battery Full But I Always Start My Laptop With The Plug On even After Battery Is Full Charged ...Is Their Any Rescue?Should I Start My Laptop With Battery And After Shut Down I Plugin For Recharge?My Laptop's Brand Is HP.....!!!
And Should I Cancel My Iberry Auxus Ax03g Which I am Going To Buy??It's Brand Is IBERRY(Not Confirmed About The Tab Is Chinese Set or Indian)...!!!!

China has almost taken over the world. A day will come in the future when babies will carry the "Made In China" mark on them as well. Its not pretty to read, but just my two cents.

P.S. Thank goodness I use Nokia. Finland company. :D:D

101gamzer

Ambassador of Buzz
Complete BAN of Chinese mobile will IMPOSSIBLE!!:|
The problem of this mobiles this does not come with IME Pin
For Complete BAN of this Cell Phones SIM providers must Unsupport these Devices so people could not use Chinese phones so the people would use Branded Mobiles:cool:

Anish

Spectre
erm... is it not permissible to talk while charging on the phone??Didn't know that..any reason y...i am called up many times while charging...didn't know that you are not supposed to...

Dude, please dont ditch the user manual of any product before reading atleast the caution/safety page.

And almost all of the electronics we use are chinese made. Even the nokias and dells.
@Gaurav Bhattacharjee: Is your mobile really made in Finland? :p

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
Have heard this even happening with Branded phones . Few exploding right in the Lower Pockets while on the move.

If all we are talking here are branded mobiles what about third party batteries that Chinese supply.

Batteries are a hazard and potential bomb.

Makes one think if Apple is right making battery the integral part of mobile and making it that much difficult to change.

Hrishi

^Omg - What a way to deliver the bomb to target w/o any need for those B2 bombers. :p
Just kidding.

Btw , did you said they explode right away in pockets ?
We will have to wear pocket-less trousers and jeans then. :lol: so sad.

Anyways jokes apart , I think this happened with Nokia's BL-5C batteries once.
Though they promised to replace each and every possible defective BL-5C , I am not sure how it greased their image.At-least it made people scared for some time.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
People also need to take care not to use chinese duplicates with their mobiles as well, especially chargers and batteries.

101gamzer

Ambassador of Buzz
^Omg - What a way to deliver the bomb to target w/o any need for those B2 bombers. :p
Just kidding.

Btw , did you said they explode right away in pockets ?
We will have to wear pocket-less trousers and jeans then. :lol: so sad.

Anyways jokes apart , I think this happened with Nokia's BL-5C batteries once.
Though they promised to replace each and every possible defective BL-5C , I am not sure how it greased their image.At-least it made people scared for some time.

It also had happened with Apple iphone 4 when a Passenger was in plane Battery suddenly exploded and it has caused smoke and flames it was due to installation of Fake/Chinese Battery(It was not due to the Original Battery)

Many incidents have reported similar like this..

Alok

Adventurer
Scary :-| now we should use explosion proof covers for phones. Lol . Btw i newer bought anything except Samsung and Nokia.

Top Bottom