Bouqet of Linux-based QUESTIONS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathofe

Right off the assembly line
Hi, I got some questions related to linux :-
Q1. Which one is better to begin with linux Ubuntu or Linux Mint?
Q2. How to burn the installation CD for Linux Mint which came in Oct 2008 isuue. Its an iso image. Shall I extract all the contents through WinRar and then burn a Bootable CD with Nero?
Q3. Which WineHQ shall I download for Linux Mint?

Please reply as fast as possible.... PLZ

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Answers :D

1) Go with Linux Mint.

2) Use any CD burner software like Ashampoo and select burn image option. Point the software to the .iso file & insert blank CD in your CD ROM drive.

3) Download the first Ubuntu Version.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
1) Ubuntu
2) Don't extract, open the iso image with burning software like Nero or Roxio
3) Mint is based on Ubuntu, so download Ubuntu's package.

yippee

lost in my world
i dont believe that linux need any learning curve i tried fedora first and i stayed with it because of the apps and i havent thought of changing most versions have repositories which make your installation easier except using some commands once in a while linux is not that hard to use most commands can also found online if you do some search and its not hard to use

vamsi360

Always confused
i dont believe that linux need any learning curve i tried fedora first and i stayed with it because of the apps and i havent thought of changing most versions have repositories which make your installation easier except using some commands once in a while linux is not that hard to use most commands can also found online if you do some search and its not hard to use

fedora is an excellent OS dude. No need to migrate away from it for anyone. I am on fedora for an year with just one upgrade from sulphur to cambridge. Fedora rocks!

I need a recommendation for a friend : Linux distro .. as per the following specs

->Hardware
512mb Ram
3Ghz processor (P4)

->Nooby User, knows nothing about Linux or tech stuff - so the distro needs to have a good GUI support

->No Internet- Needs to run straight off, after installation .

->Will be used only for basic stuff like
c/c++/java programing
Movies and music
word processing and the like

I was thinking of recommending Intrpid , but it seems to be heavily dependent on the internet .. i mean it needs a codec download before totem can start playing some video files like .avi

I have only used the older Fedora versions .... though i dont remember if it needed a codec download .... so guys i need a recommendation

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
I need a recommendation for a friend : Linux distro .. as per the following specs

->Hardware
512mb Ram
3Ghz processor (P4)
You have a fairly good system I think any distro should be fine to be frank.
->Nooby User, knows nothing about Linux or tech stuff - so the distro needs to have a good GUI support
Mint, Ubuntu, Fedora , Mandriva ,OpenSuse and Sabayon in no special order are good choices.
->No Internet- Needs to run straight off, after installation .
Then you would go Mint, Sabayon or Mandriva I believe. I believe all these comes with essentials to work out of the box.
->Will be used only for basic stuff like
c/c++/java programing
Movies and music
word processing and the like
I think you might have to download java but I might be wrong. Check with the Mint forums to confirm.
I was thinking of recommending Intrpid , but it seems to be heavily dependent on the internet .. i mean it needs a codec download before totem can start playing some video files like .avi
Yes that is true. You could take your CPU somewhere and have it downloaded I guess but other than that yes you would require a connection.

ChaiTan3

GTK+ programmer

I have only used the older Fedora versions .... though i dont remember if it needed a codec download .... so guys i need a recommendation
You could try using keryx for installing software for an offline Ubuntu machine.
*keryx.betaserver.org/

You have a fairly good system I think any distro should be fine to be frank.

Actually , those specs are of my friend's computer ......

And yeah i have used (or rather installed and rarely used ) past 2 versions of Fedora and Current KUbuntu (Intrepid) ..... But i have very little knowledge about the others like Mint , must check it out ......

User Name

In the zone
Linux mint doesn't have HELP included as Ubuntu have it.

I found Linux mint difficult to use just because it doesn't have HELP and i am noob in linux.

BTW:
I can't able to save my bsnl ppoe connection setting on ubuntu. any help ? :???:

Yes that is true. You could take your CPU somewhere and have it downloaded I guess but other than that yes you would require a connection.

Thats the biggest problem ...... This friend is a hopeless techie and quiet young ...... hes from a different city actually , and i visit him on my rare visits to his city .... and i was planning to set him up on Linux on one such visit , scheduled next month .....
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
You could try using keryx for installing software for an offline Ubuntu machine.
*keryx.betaserver.org/

wow , this is just a godsend for people without an internet connection .....

Last edited:

Rahim

Married!
Linux mint doesn't have HELP included as Ubuntu have it.

I found Linux mint difficult to use just because it doesn't have HELP and i am noob in linux.

BTW:
I can't able to save my bsnl ppoe connection setting on ubuntu. any help ? :???:
Mint should have HELP included.

Use pppoeconf to setup your BSNL connection. Use
Code:
sudo pppoeconf
in a Terminal to set it up. Can you give more info about your inabiliy to save the settings.

User Name

In the zone
I did it before but it never saves my setting. as i restart pc all setting gone. is there any command to save setting?

Rahim

Married!
I did it before but it never saves my setting. as i restart pc all setting gone. is there any command to save setting?
Did you use "sudo" to configure pppoecinf? If yes then after configuring, it does save the settings.
You have to use the command pon dsl-provider to connect & poff to disconnect. You can create Launchers on the Desktop for them.

Do you get an error like " user in dip group can use the command". If yes then enter the following command in Terminal
Code:
sudo adduser [i]yourusername[/i] dip

I still fail to understand why your settings get lost :confused:

A

anarchist

I have also seen this problem in ubuntu8.10
when i configured static ip address, it switches to dynamic ip on restart.
No problem with 8.04 however

It happened to me too initially (Intrepid & sify) ... so i use to enter the correct ip address and subnet mask manually everytime i booted into Ubuntu .... But somewhere along the way it got resolved i.e it saved the config correctly without me making any changes to it..... Dont know why it happens
Posted again:
I have also seen this problem in ubuntu8.10
when i configured static ip address, it switches to dynamic ip on restart.
No problem with 8.04 however

Hey , i noticed that your using Jaunty ... how is it ?? Is it as buggy as Intrepid ? or is it more stabler ? ...... am waiting for the RC

Last edited:
A

anarchist

@ Phantom Lancer : I am using ubuntu 9.04 beta. it is running smooth. better than buggy 8.10
only one problem i faced was in tvtime. after installing tvtime, /home/.tvtime folder's permissions were set to root, so setting's were not being saved. for which i have to change permissions to resolve the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom