Boot sector virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

pritish_kul2

★★★★★★★★★
URGENT:Boot sector virus

I don't knw bt this virus comes in to my PC once a month :( . wht happens is tht the omputer doesn't load fully and restarts on the half way. wot to do ....i m in no position to format the hdd...every time i hv to do tht...:(any other way....remember i can't switch on my pc otherwise someone will say tht install this antivirus and blah blah

Last edited:

Cool Joe

The Black Waltz
try this. switch on the PC, press DEL to enter setup. enter the boot device priority menu. (this may come under the "BOOT" menu) set the first boot device as the DVD drive. then before exiting bios eject ur drive and insert the DIGIT JUNE 2007 DVD or a live CD of ubuntu Linux 7.14. save ur bios and exit it. the drive automatically goes in (if it doesnt do it manually). the pc shud boot into ubuntu linux. browse the hard disk by clicking on the "my disk" or something like that. go through the hard drive and delete any malicious files. if u can access the net in linux, go to one of the AV websites and do an online scan of all ur disks. the virus may get detected and removed. and after that keep an antivirus with on- access protection and update it regularly.

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
Be more specific. What do you mean computer doesnt load fully? Where exactly does it freeze or restart? give more details.

OP
pritish_kul2

pritish_kul2

★★★★★★★★★
restart......wen it reaches the XP sscreen it starts how to start the comp. Safe mode etc. etc...thn whichever option i select...it restarts

OP
pritish_kul2

pritish_kul2

★★★★★★★★★
plzzz help me guys ......WHY DON"T U PPL REPLY TO MY THREADS IT SEEMS THAT U ALL THINK I POST ALL USELESS THREADS AND sO NO ONE SEES THEM.............:(((((

yogeshm.007

The real Bond
This may also be a driver related problem.

If your Windows XP CD is not an OEM one, you can try to repair the windows installation.

First, do a backup of all important files.
1. Boot into any live linux CD (as in post #2).
2. Locate all important files and copy to CD/flash drive.

Boot from the WIndows xp CD and proceed to the time you are given an option to repair, and then select repair.

If restore does not help, then do a clean install of xp (i.e. after formatting the system partition)

For OEM, AFAIK, you must restore your system.

BTW, i'm not saying that repair/reinstall is the *only* solution to the problem, but it seems the *only* one given the information you have provided.

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
Well, whatever mode you choose to start, after that, windows loads its drivers, hives, system files needed etc. One of them might be faulty. Either a core windows file is corrupted, or a driver which you installed is at fault. Boot from the XP CD and try the repair option, as yogesh says. Or, do a clean install, which again yogesh says :D sorry man no extra suggestions but thats a pretty good idea of what might be wrong.

OP
pritish_kul2

pritish_kul2

★★★★★★★★★
can anybody xplain me how to boot frm XP CD. i have reached the step where it asks for repair,install etc.

can i save my data?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom