Boot Loader Query...!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chahal63

Broken In
I AM PLANNING TO INSTAL FC6 DUAL BOOT ALONG WITH WINXPSP2. AS I INSTALL FC6 THIS OVERWRITES MY MBR WITH LINUX BOOT LOADER. IS THERE ANY METHOD TO SAVE MY MBR(without creating any rescue disk) SO THAT IF I DON'T LIKE FC6 I CAN TURN OVER TO WIN XP BY SIMPLY FORMATTING FC6 PARTITION. AND THNX TO ALL ANSWERERS FOR MY PREVIOUS QUERY...

Aberforth

The Internationalist
Windows NT Loader (NTLDR) which is in the MBR on Windows NT+ systems won't recognise your Linux partition without some messing up (which I don't recommend). What I suggest is go ahead with FC6, install GRUB which will automatically detect your Windows. Keep Windows as default. Run Linux as long as you wish and when you are done, format the Linux partitions, pop in your Windows XP CD, boot from it, select R for 'Repair using recovey console'. Log in to the console as Administrator and run these commands one after another.

fixboot

fixmbr

The would write your NTLDR on the MBR and you'd have a Windows only system as before. Its much easier than modifying boot.ini file to redirect to some other partition as you don't have to deal with Logical and Primary partition settings.

Hope this helps. By the way posts without caps lock looks better. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom