Books on web development

blackpearl

The Devil
Please suggest me some good books on web development. I know HTML and CSS but I want to learn PHP and server scripting. Basically, I want to hack together my own scripts to do stuff. I'm tired of searching for ready made scripts for every simple tasks, and then realizing that they don't work like the way I want and I can't even tweak them because I don't know how they work.

I need mainly PHP and MySQL. The book should have good number of example codes.

For the record, I have fairly good understanding of C, though I haven't touched it for last 10 years.

prabhu.wali

prabhu.wali
Flipkart.com: Learning PHP, MySQL, And JavaScript: A Step-by-Step Guide To Creating Dynamic Websites: Book: Robin Nixon (9788184047943) this is a good one

clmlbx

Technomancer
check this out:- Head First PHP & MySQL (Head first series have always been appreciated in Programming like java) Most probably this will do your Job..

check this too :- Essential PHP Security

Not every Book can be listed here but Do check out other books from O'reilly and Wiley Publishers. one of best Books also try from Tata Mcgraw Hill Publishers

Last edited:
OP
blackpearl

blackpearl

The Devil
Thanks @clmlbx and @prabhu.wali. Will check them.

Now any good books on Javascript?

Last edited:

clmlbx

Technomancer
JavaScript Cookbook..

JavaScript Bible, 7th Edition

If this Books above look's like little advance then try this Beginning HTML, XHTML, CSS, And Javascript I have used it personally and it is really good for beginners.

check out other books from O'reilly and Wiley Publishers.. check their website for their contents and difficulty level. If possible check this Books locally so.. you can check the individual book explanations on topic.. and then you can choose according to you.

Last edited:

Santa Maria!

Journeyman
Careful regarding your choice on a PHP/MySQL book. There are some deprecated stuff you need to worry about.

I was also thinking of jumping into PHP+MySQL and I was recommended the book 'Beginning PHP and MySQL: From Novice to Professional' which apparently is a good and fairly updated book to learn from.

Can't help you more as I ended up having to work with Python+Django at my new job.

Here's the link to my older question if interested.

clmlbx

Technomancer
table of contents look's good. from novice to mastering.. IMO.. Nice choice

check the reviews over here..

It has few flaws like..

"Not comprehensive enough"
"Too many errors"

prabhu.wali

prabhu.wali
I'm thinking about this one. Is that a good choice?

yes its is,if u want to take a look i'll pm u the pdf link but from my experience i learnt php and mysql watching videos from lynda.com and then went through the book, by doing this u'll learn at a much faster pace but thats jus me

also look taake a look at the videos from harvard *manual.cs50.net/Seminars#jQuery:_How_to_Make_Your_Website_Shiny
*cs75.tv/2010/fall/

and heres a how u should pace urself through php development *net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/php/the-best-way-to-learn-php/

Last edited:
OP
blackpearl

blackpearl

The Devil
I prefer books because they organize the course through chapters. I know exactly how to proceed, page by page, of course.

With online tutorials I will be just jumping around without really learning anything. Lack of organization is what makes learning on the web difficult. Web tutorials are good when you want to learn about some particular functions, but for a complete course on a subject nothing beats books. And of course, classes.

clmlbx

Technomancer
no dude it's not like that.. their are many videos and online courses available that are very organized and start from very basic level for beginners.. One you must have seen must be youtube videos and other.. that is not at all whole picture

check this one online course for PHP

PHP Online course

semonbutler

Right off the assembly line
there are many books and tutorials are available on internet. but I prefer to
W3Schools Online Web Tutorials . its a best option.

Top Bottom