Books/Novels Discussion Thread V1: Literary Gems

Flash

Lost in speed
Hello.. Anybody here!!!???

To the self-quote kitty-cuber
S. Chandrasekhar:The Scholar Scientist book : Dilip M. Salwi, 8129104911, 9788129104915 - BookAdda.com India
Science In The 21St Century: A Glimpse Of Science And Technology book : Dilip M. Salwi, 8122002609, 9788122002607 - BookAdda.com India
Aryabhatta- Life And Contributions book : D.S.Hooda,J.N.Kapur, 8122413056, 9788122413052 - BookAdda.com India
Buy Top 1000 Scientists: From the Beginning of Time to 2000 AD by , Top 1000 Scientists: From the Beginning of Time to 2000 AD Book Reviews, Buy Book Online- Infibeam.com

The last one is highly recommended.
More on here.
*www.goodreads.com/book/show/6974958-top-1000-scientists

dream.window

Right off the assembly line
The Great Gatsby --> by F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Hound Of Baskervilles --> by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
The Three Musketeers --> by Alexander Duma Pere
Vicomte De borgleone --> by Alexander Duman Pere
Twenty Years After --> by Alexander Dumas Pere
Maila Anchal --> by Phanishwar Nath Renu
Karmabhoomi --> by Premchand
Adventures Of Tom Sawyer --> by Mark Twain
Around The World In 80 Days --> by Jules Vernes
The Perks Of Being A Wallflower --> by Stephen Chbosky

@vi

Journeyman
The Devotion of Suspect X
*alchemistpoonam.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/the-devotion-of-suspect-x.jpg

Finished the book in two days straight. This book has taken the whole world by storm and I had to see what all this fuss is about. At first it started with known territory and then it gave me something new. Logic and puzzle.

A satisfying read. A very good thriller (or a better love story :p ) after a long time. Highly recommended.
Exactly my thoughts. It is a very good book indeed. The climax is just awesome !

@vi

Journeyman
I am in a mood of buying Penguin Classics. Please suggest me some good books. Today I bought Anna Karenina and War & Peace. I have read them long ago & they are just great works. I have also read Fyodor's Karamzov Brothers and Crime Punishment, Tolstoy's Resurrrection & liked them too. Can anyone suggest me some good classics based on my likings ?

These books were mentioned at the back of W & P :
A dead man's memoir by Mikhail Bulgakov
The Idiot by fyodor dostoevsky
The house of the dead by fyodor dostoevsky
Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol
A hero of our time by Mikhail Lermontov
Fathers & sons by Ivan Turgenev
The shooting party by Anton Chekhov
Eugene Onegin by Alexander Pushkin

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
OK, I can recommend few classics if you are interested

Short story collection by Anton Chekhov (Its of different tastes and different moods. Very simple at times and then very complex and deep)
Short story collection by Hector Hugh Munro a.k.a Saki
Obviously Edgar Allan Poe collection
Maupassant if you want. I tried reading him, most stories are based on human relationships. Kind of our daily soaps but not that bad quality, In India Rabindranath Tagore wrote in similar themes.
Yes. why not give it a try for our very own Rabindranath Tagore. Believe me he did some serious research with human mind and complex relationships!
Then try O'Henry.

Last edited:

Krow

Crowman
Nikolai Gogol's Diary of a Madman is excellent.
Franz Kafka - Metamorphosis.
H G Wells - Country of the Blind, Time Machine.

@vi

Journeyman
Already done with Edgar Alan, O'Henry :)

Actually O'Henry's is NOT a deep stuff IMO. I did not read classics and works of Tagore because I find them deep. Even Tolstoy too, but managed to read it somehow :p

Another such books are Fountainhead and Atlas shrugged by Ayan Ryand. (done already)

But I am feeling like reading classics and explore a new horizon.

OK, I can recommend few classics if you are interested

Short story collection by Anton Chekhov (Its of different tastes and different moods. Very simple at times and then very complex and deep)
Will surely get this !

In India Rabindranath Tagore wrote in similar themes.
Yes. why not give it a try for our very own Rabindranath Tagore. Believe me he did some serious research with human mind and complex relationships!
Any book in particular ? (Have Gitanjali too, but didn't complete it)

Nikolai Gogol's Diary of a Madman is excellent.
Franz Kafka - Metamorphosis.
Will get these both too. Done with H G Wles already :)

@both - thank you very much guys !!

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Actually O'Henry's is NOT a deep stuff IMO.
Ummm, depends, he told stories in simple language and taking help of everyday events. And, all of his stories has some message.

I did not read classics and works of Tagore because I find them deep. Even Tolstoy too, but managed to read it somehow :p

Another such books are Fountainhead and Atlas shrugged by Ayan Ryand. (done already)

Will surely get this !

Geetanjali is a collection of his poems. Rather check out his novels Chaturanga, Chokher Bali, Gora, Noukadubi, Char-adhyay etc are remarkable. Check out this link : Novels by Tagore
Must read his short story collection : Galpoguchha

H.G. Wells....did you read all his short stories?

Krow

Crowman
Already done with Edgar Alan, O'Henry :)

Actually O'Henry's is NOT a deep stuff IMO. I did not read classics and works of Tagore because I find them deep. Even Tolstoy too, but managed to read it somehow :p

Will surely get this !

Will get these both too. Done with H G Wles already :)

@both - thank you very much guys !!

Vilas Sarang's Fair Tree of the Void is very good. It was printed by Penguin in 1990 or so, I just can't find a copy anywhere. It is a fantastic short story collection, right up there with the likes of Gogol and Jeff Noon. It would be awesome if you can find it.

DDIF

Custom User Title
The Great Gatsby --> by F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Hound Of Baskervilles --> by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
The Three Musketeers --> by Alexander Duma Pere
Vicomte De borgleone --> by Alexander Duman Pere
Twenty Years After --> by Alexander Dumas Pere
Maila Anchal --> by Phanishwar Nath Renu
Karmabhoomi --> by Premchand
Adventures Of Tom Sawyer --> by Mark Twain
Around The World In 80 Days --> by Jules Vernes
The Perks Of Being A Wallflower --> by Stephen Chbosky

By far you posted some of the greatest titles in this thread buddy. One should really give Verne & Dumas a try if one's into fiction/adventure. Why didn't you mention The Count of Monte Cristo?

Here is my little recommendation at GoodReads

dream.window

Right off the assembly line
By far you posted some of the greatest titles in this thread buddy. One should really give Verne & Dumas a try if one's into fiction/adventure. Why didn't you mention The Count of Monte Cristo?
[/URL]

Thanks mate.. Yes I really forgot this "The Count Of Monte Cristo". And "A Catcher In The Rye " too by Salinger.

Your list is interesting!!

Top Bottom