Books/Novels Discussion Thread V1: Literary Gems

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
Completed Dan Brown's 'Digital Fortress' today. Pretty engrossing if you've got knowledge about network security, cryptography and the like.

Rating: 7.5/10

Pathik

Google Bot
Keep off the Grass - 9/10

Maybe it wasn't that good, but I could perfectly relate to it. A must for all confused souls.

korak

Right off the assembly line
mine r

lord of the rings , hobbit , silmarlion ----- JRR tolkien
Sea of poppies --------amitav ghosh
all 3 books by chetan bhagat
monk who sold his ferrari---------Robin sharma

are i read al lot of books but these r the best

D

Deleted member 26636

well i mostly read the classics like "wuthering heights" by emily bronte , "jane eyre" by charlotte bronte, "the adventures of tom sawyer & the adventures of huckleberry finn" by mark twain, all "sherlock holmes" stories & novels by arthur conan doyle.

"the kite runner" by khaled hosseini is also very good..most novels by thomas hardy like- "far from the madding crowd" is good.

Quiz_Master

* Teh Flirt King *
@Anorion Yeah Eternal Champion was good!

I stopped reading fiction a couple of months ago. Might start again with Artemis Fowl series or maybe from something by Neil Gaiman.

Recently finished 'Wings of Fire: An Autobiography of APJ Abdul Kalam' - Really a good one. Must read atleast once. Chapter four to chapter ten which tells the story of his work in USA, specially in NASA are remarkable. A MUST READ!

PhB

Jughead!!!
I read The Chronicles of Narnia when I was in school, also used to read Hardy Boys, Agathe Christie, The Three Investigators.
I recently finished reading "The Belgariad" and "The Mallorean" both by Edward Haddings. They are a brilliantly written Fantasy novel series. I am now looking for "Belgarath, the sorcerer" and "Polgara, the sorceress"; prequels to the above books.
And some guys had also suggested the Twilight series to me but it didn't appeal to me. Reason, bad narration even if the plot's good. But you can try them if you like vampire stories.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Kane and Abel - 7/10

Felt like one of those Maupassant's stories. Same family drama. And I hate those. Apart from the theme, incidents and description are good, sometimes grabbing. but HUGE, I felt like getting with the protagonists of the novel.

Good book, but I that theme so can't give more than 7.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Salmon of Doubt - A collection of works apart from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. Extracted from his fleet of Macs. It's a posthumous release.

dare_devil

Broken In
plz suggest a novel for me, i had read all 3 novels of chetan bhagat, need some similar or thriller novels, with not too hard english

Hmmm nice thread, used to read a tonne of books during school days,but numbers became few after college began ,anyways a few authors I would recommend are:

Edgar Wallace:-found the plots in the few books I read to be simple but their unraveling unexpected.

George Orwell:-"1984" the most depressing of all the novels I ever read but brilliant nonetheless.

Arthur Hailey:- (airport,hotel etc) brilliant novelist.

R.L Stevenson:- (treasure island,robinson crusoe).

Mario Puzo:- "Godfather" never expected this novel to be as good as it was.

H. Rider Haggard: "King Solomon's Mines" loved the novel.

Leo Tolstoy:- "Resurrection" very good novel.

Fyodor Dostoevsky:- "Crime and Punishment".

Sidney Sheldon:- "Windmills of the Gods"+"Tell Me Your Dreams"
some of his novels are very good and some are bad to say the least but the above ones are one of the few I like.

Doctor Who novels the writer changed a lot and quality of stories too was variable, but I liked this series a lot read about four dozen of the novels present in the library.

H.G Wells:- apart from the hugely popular stories of his there was a book containing four of his lesser known novels and though there names escape me they were a blast to read.

Charles Dickens:- Great Expectations and A tale of two Cities.

Last edited:
Read the book buy Stieg Larsson named The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, very good with very likable characters and a solid plot.

Started reading the Angels and Demons book and consider it to be better than Da Vinci Code,so far, it has a lot of humour the subtle kind anyway.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
hmmm

Deception Point<Digital Fortress<Angels and Demons<Da Vinci Code
Read them all in the reverse order... but they all felt like I was reading the exact same book.

Post childrens books that you people still like to read. I can go through anything by E. Nesbit or John Bellairs.

@Pathik:
The end of Angels and Demons is crappy.
+1
Seems he just ran out of ideas.Links things wildly but believably creating a good mystery but then throws eggs on to readers face like mach 15 jet, anti-matter(last I checked energy is also something in the sense that matter and anti matter come from energy),artificial insemination(for the love of god there is always lust included with love if not they should have just become brother and sister),mr patricide, self-righteous fart gets a divine ending and how the hell does a priest get hold of an assassin(and that too a literal one to the boot LOL..).
Anyway finished it and am happy I didn't buy it.But I am going to watch the movie for sure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom