Books/Novels Discussion Thread V1: Literary Gems

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^hmm... I think Asimov answered that question partially at least in the short story called "The Joker". Dont know if that was what the Foundation story was referring to, but Asimov uses the same themes and ideas across many of his books (eg: Univac), Spoiler alert: According to the Joker, the jokes were of extraterrestrial origin meant as a psychological study of mankind.

Krow

Crowman
Must Read:

The Complete Robot - Isaac Asimov
Foundation - Isaac Asimov
Foundation & Empire - Isaac Asimov
Second Foundation - Isaac Asimov

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams

Rendezvous with Rama - Arthur C. Clarke

Must Read:

The Complete Robot - Isaac Asimov
Foundation - Isaac Asimov
Foundation & Empire - Isaac Asimov
Second Foundation - Isaac Asimov

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams

Rendezvous with Rama - Arthur C. Clarke

completed entire foundation and robot series LONG time ago (best guess some 7-8 yrs ago)

Anybody read Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler? Interesting stuff.

no hard feelings, but just hate history....:wink::lol:

Krow

Crowman
completed entire foundation and robot series LONG time ago (best guess some 7-8 yrs ago)
That's great! Asimov is class. The technologies still do not seem dated. He took special care to gloss over the tech details so as to avoid outdated material. Arthur Clarke's material did not do this and hence his sci-fi sees constant breaks in continuity, especially in the Space Odyssey series.

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.

no hard feelings, but just hate history....:wink::lol:

You don't like History, so what's there to feel bad about ? :). Personally, I love History. Plus getting to know about someone like Hitler is great! I just hope he had written an autobiography during his prime-time... you know, after he became the dictator. That would have been great!

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
*www.harpercollins.com/harperimages/isbn/large/3/9780061833793.jpg

Half Minute Horrors 7.5/10
As the name suggests, its a collection of horror stories, cartoons, graffiti. And each is so small that at max it takes a regular reader at about 30 sec.
But, don't underestimate it from that. If you are thinking how a 30 sec. story can scare you, you really need to read it. Every story gives you a taste of completion.

Get a glimpse of it here: Half Minute Horrors A collection of instant frights

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
*www.easymix.co.nz/content/3028/theconfession.jpg

The Confession by John Grisham.

Halfway through it and I must say it's a gripping book. Will be done with it by tomorrow!

Accuvizion

Right off the assembly line
Re: Novels recommended by Digitians

I'll suggest every to give Ambler Warning And Bourne Identity a try ,they both are by Robert Ludlum, the stories of both the books are mind blowing

I Have to agree, Robert Ludlum is the best author !!

Nemes!s

Broken In
I Too Had A Love Story... by Ravinder Singh 5/10 (Now a days all are started writing their life incidents to make money. Auther tried his best to make it good for popular genre but failed and have sad ending also)

Chariots Of The Gods by Von Daniken Erich 7/10 (Very interesting thoughts about God and Aliens, might shook your belief)

A Fine Balanceby Rohinton Mistry still reading but very sluggish

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
The curious incident of the dog in the night time 9/10

Author : Mark Haddon

*upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/03/Curiousincidentofdoginnighttime.jpg

There are books that excite you, make you happy or make you sad and then there are books that contribute in YOU.

This book really falls in the second category. Really loved this one. A very simple, moving, emotional and funny book.

Highly recommended to everyone.

Gonna look for other titles by him.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
ha good bump, will read that next... throwing in anything by Tom Holt. Anyone been through Chetan Bhagat's latest? heard its not the usual juvenile drivel

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
ha good bump, will read that next... throwing in anything by Tom Holt. Anyone been through Chetan Bhagat's latest? heard its not the usual juvenile drivel
R u talking about "Two States" novel?

Well, its good read, at least better than "3 mistakes of my life". But, seemed to me he's now writing books keeping in mind, it might one day become a movie. He should directly write screenplays.

b/w check out this page, most us reviewed "Two States" here...
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/community...els-recommended-digitians-11.html#post1176187

Last edited:
Top Bottom