BluRay Video Conversion load

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
Hi all,

I re encode a lot of bluray video from mkv to mp4 format for watching on my TV. i use the AVS video Converter. its a pretty good piece of software. it takes about 1hr 20mins to convert a full HD video from mkv to mp4. i keep the resolution and frame rate same, and lower the bitrate to 2500kbps. codec= h.264(AVC), single pass. other advanced settings untouched.

i noticed that CPU usage went up to 80-98% during the conversion. i was wondering if there was any way to off load some of the load to my graphics card.. that way it''ll be faster too..

currently i use a zotac GT520 1GB ddr3, but i am upgrading to a HD7770 in the near future.

frankeric

Journeyman
hi brother conversion is a very heavy procedure it takes time and all juice of your cpu you can only of load it by increasing you ram.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
u can also try multi-threading option while doing conversion to reduce time
also try FreeMake Video Converter (it's free & Damn good)

OP
anirbandd

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
handbrake doesnt use GPU accl.

The wretched state of GPU transcoding - Slideshow | ExtremeTech:

If you want a video encoder that’ll run on virtually any system, has well-thought, easy-to-use presets, and neatly balances quality and file size, go download Handbrake. It’s fast, free, and efficient — it just doesn’t use the GPU.

gameranand

Living to Play
Well then I guess they removed it because IIRC they had the feature but Mediacoder uses for sure I have seen it. :p

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Op's CPu has Intel Quick Sync feature - so Op better use a app which supports this. For eg :
GOM Video Converter Guide - High-Speed Conversion with Intel Quick Sync Video

OP
anirbandd

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
Op's CPu has Intel Quick Sync feature - so Op better use a app which supports this. For eg :
GOM Video Converter Guide - High-Speed Conversion with Intel Quick Sync Video

as per the comparison done here: The wretched state of GPU transcoding - Slideshow | ExtremeTech, i think i will stick with the current software i have for now. quicksync is waaaay bad. maybe it results in smaller size of videos, but i am in no way gonna give up quality for time and size.

thanks to all!!

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Qucik sync is the fastest
Quick Sync Vs. APP Vs. CUDA : Intel
Quick Sync: Performance And Power Consumption : Second-Generation Ultrabooks: Faster And Cheaper With Ivy Bridge
and talking about quality you better have a look at this ;-)
AnandTech - The Sandy Bridge Review: Intel Core i7-2600K, i5-2500K and Core i3-2100 Tested

OP
anirbandd

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
thats good food for thought.. but what about this:
[h=3]Quick Sync with a Discrete GPU[/h]There’s just one hangup to all of this Quick Sync greatness: it only works if the processor’s GPU is enabled. In other words, on a desktop with a single monitor connected to a discrete GPU, you can’t use Quick Sync.
This isn’t a problem for mobile since Sandy Bridge notebooks should support switchable graphics, meaning you can use Quick Sync without waking up the discrete GPU. However there’s no standardized switchable graphics for desktops yet. Intel indicated that we may see some switchable solutions in the coming months on the desktop, but until then you either have to use the integrated GPU alone or run a multimonitor setup with one monitor connected to Intel’s GPU in order to use Quick Sync.

i use a discrete GPU... what now?

RahulB

Journeyman
Handbrake doesn't use GPU acceleration, only CPU. MediaCoder doesn't use GPU for encoding either, just for decoding and other parts. It takes a lot of muscle to encode video, particularly at high resolutions and AVC codecs. A CPU usage of 80+ is normal.
Handbrake is the best option if you don't want to get bogged down by extensive settings. If you want do dig deeper, go for MeGUI. GPU encoders are crap when it comes to quality. However if you have a ATI card you can use the Catalyst center for encoding, it does have an option. But it doesn't support a number of important input formats, I don't remember since I junked GPU encoding in days it came out. QuickSync is good but you need to have Sandybridge. If you want higher speeds using CPU encoders, upgrade your CPU, more the cores the better. But if you do you will likely purchase a Sandybridge or Higher, so you can then QuickSync.

Again x264 ( CPU encoder ) give better quality compared to GPU encoders at same settings and almost same speeds. Most tests which compare GPU to CPU encoders use settings for GPU comparable to the fastest preset for x264.

1hr 20 min for a blu-ray file is really low, you must be using pretty inferior settings. It take me about 18 hours to convert a blu-ray movie, I use higher settings and the results are worth it.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
thats good food for thought.. but what about this:

i use a discrete GPU... what now?

Intel has addressed this issue with Z68 chipset and you don't even think about this if you are using a Intel 7 series chipset based mobo...

anyway, for a H67 mobo this is the solution ;-)

Sandy Bridge PCs with Discrete GPUs Get Quick Sync Support Thanks to Lucid - Softpedia
about lucidlogix

OP
anirbandd

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
1hr 20 min for a blu-ray file is really low, you must be using pretty inferior settings. It take me about 18 hours to convert a blu-ray movie, I use higher settings and the results are worth it.

i encode movies to between 2500-3000kbps. it looks pretty much okay on our tv. maybe i will do the next one on 4000. :)

Intel has addressed this issue with Z68 chipset and you don't even think about this if you are using a Intel 7 series chipset based mobo...

anyway, for a H67 mobo this is the solution ;-)

Sandy Bridge PCs with Discrete GPUs Get Quick Sync Support Thanks to Lucid - Softpedia
about lucidlogix

thanks a lot.. will check it out and report back! :) \m/

goddamn awesome product... thanks topgear. will test it when i have some time...

btw.. it says that its available as on trial/evaluation mode for non-licensed product, like my mobo. what to do after the trial period expires??

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
The most easiest solution ;-) - the only other solution is to purchase a mobo which comes bundled with this app for free.

OP
anirbandd

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
Buying?? didnt see any option for buying.. there were link for dl-ing the drivers, which i have, but there werent any for buying...

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok .. for Lucid Virtu support your mobo's bios/uefi needs a Virtu a license/certificate embedded in the BIOS/UEFi - make sure you have the most recent version of bios.

OP
anirbandd

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
and there is a list of lucid licensed product on the site. my H67 is not in there.

will try and update the bios when i come back from hostel this week...

Top Bottom