Biking: Fuel consumption on slope at low gear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
I was bored today with nothing to do so i went to mussoorie in the morning on my bike (Pulser 150dtsi). Came back abt 6pm. it was nice a nice ride as always recharged my spirits :p

But i got thinking abt something. consider going down a gentle slope with no breaks and low gear like 2nd or 3rd. The engine takes on speed(rpm) and over all acceleration/speed decreases so we don't need to apply breaks. this would be hard to get for people who have never driven down a long slope.

Anyways the question is- during that no accelerator-no break-low gear-high rpm situation does the engine use up the same amount of fuel as it would use when accelerating with accelerator at that rpm on normal road or use fuel equivalent to idling?

like say on a slope the rpm is 4000 and speed is 35km/s constant(no accelerator or break). will it use more fuel then idling?

I hope it is not confusing :confused:

chicha

High without substance...
nice question.
but tell me why not kill the engine insted of running at 2nd or 3rd gear?
which is not good for the bike.
Now for the fuel consumption the faster you go the more fuel the bike needs, but you can go fast only on the top gear.

But on lower gear say 2nd or 3rd and 35Kmph it will certainlly consume more fuel than with the top gear and say 50-60Kmph. (i am thinking).

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Yes, it would definitely consume more fuel than at idling! Why don't you cut off the engine itself? You cant do that on a car, as the brakes stop functioning if you switch off the engine, but you can always do that for a bike!

azzu

AJJU
chicha is right i think swithcing to nuetral is a good thing as engine is not shut down and very very very low amount of petrol is consumed coz to run ur engine
i think u can do this CARZzz to
BTW u have pulsar DTSI new or d old
new one got awesome design man

praka123

left this forum longback
kalpik said:
Yes, it would definitely consume more fuel than at idling! Why don't you cut off the engine itself? You cant do that on a car, as the brakes stop functioning if you switch off the engine, but you can always do that for a bike!
:shock:
i am daily going down a hill way @gear neutral, engine switched off on my maruti 800 and brakes are working JFYI :D

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
kalpik said:
^^ Yes, as long as the engine is ON, the brakes work in cars too..
you will some one by saying that brakes *only* work when engine is on:p

@Rollercoaster
just switch off your engine, save some fuel & help the country:D

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
mehulved said:
Then why not rather just ride on horseback?
thats the best thing to do in hilly areas but it possible only when you buy me a horse:p, becuase i am still unemployed and you got a hefty paying job

just donate & help me:lol::lol::lol::lol:

bwt, i fond of horses

[edit] corrected

Last edited:

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
gary4gar said:
thats the best thing to do in hilly areas but it possible only when you buy me a horse:p, becuase i am still unemployed and got a hefty paying job

just donate & help me:lol::lol::lol::lol:

bwt, i fond of horses

i guess some where 'NOT' is missing or u got an extra 'UN' in ur sentence :D

praka123

left this forum longback
some one save the country with "solar-powererd" bikes? :D
seriously,where is the hydrogen(fuelcell) cars hitting the road by 2008(i read somewhere)? no alternate fuels except neutral gear driving downhill :(

GeekyBoy

In the zone
kalpik said:
Who says you cant break when switching off the engine on a car?

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
guys, when goin down hill use ENGINE BAKING & save the damn brakes, coz the more you use the brakes, the more they get heated up = less performance they'll give.

engine braking = something which roller...:)) dude is doing. which is obviousy right thing to do.

ENGINE BRAKING does consume fuel, but its negligible (a little bit more than idling).

car or bike, when you go down-hill, use ENGINE BRAKING. :wink:

engines are designed for these kinda stuffs, so dont even worry about Engine life...

YOU SHOULD USE ENGINE BRAKING when you take a CAR down a hill.

READ the GOD DAMN USER MANUAL BOOK of your respective vehicle.:p

Rollercoaster said:
like say on a slope the rpm is 4000 and speed is 35km/s constant(no accelerator or break). will it use more fuel then idling?

I hope it is not confusing :confused:
obviously it'll use more fuel, coz the idling speed is 1000-1500rpm, but you're doin 4000rpm, fuel is pumped in, so...more fuel than idling speed.

just a info - my prof. told me, any vehicle, it emits max emission only when its idling.

Last edited:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
@s180000rpm Even I wanted to say the exact same point. Using engine breaking saves the breaks. I have one friend who has mastered engine breaking. When I went for a drive with him for the frst time I was like .. .. :shock: Dude wait .. ill put the seat belts on :shock:

praka123

left this forum longback
^for midland(a semi-hilly route) drives,using brakes does saves fuel.and ur brakes wont worn out that fast.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
its not that Brakes wear out.:p

i believe you know with the heat , performance of brakes degrade.

stopping distance increases.

praka123

left this forum longback
^then this is a common practice of Jeep drivers to switch off & go in neuterr..:D to save diesel!I am taliking about a distance of 1-2kms in neutral gear with brakes when needed in estates.not like from udhagamandalam coonor to Mettupalyam engine been switched off(though i does have friends who did this in bikes!).
go to any high-range areas(esp in kerala,idukki,malabar,kottayam etc) u'll see such habits.btwn dont forget jeeps always needs service as the same as old-generation amby cars or premier etc.so brakes getting hot are not a problem.moreover brake itself is not much used by drivers in kerala ;)

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
i dunno, those guys whom you're talkin of dont even have proper training or knowledge in driving, so comparing them & taking them as example is ... not good.

in bikes/cars, when the drums heat , brake pad will ultimately lose the grip, so consider that.
the brakes will then Lock the wheels, not slow them, will jus lock it.

moreover brake itself is not much used by drivers in kerala
then wat do they use to slow/stop their vehicle???:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom